Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne skiers helicoptered off broken gondola

Poster: A snowHead
Thirty skiers were rescued from the Roche de Mio gondola in La Plagne this week, when it broke down due to failure "of a transmission part" a few minutes after opening. Some of those trapped were 70 feet above ground. And some, trapped above off-piste areas, had to be rescued by a helicopter brought in from Courchevel....This is a major incident for a gondola that celebrates its '35th birthday' this year.
Source (in French): http://www.perso-laplagne.fr/Actualites.htm#28_12_10
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ONG, that would totally freak me out.... i'm going in two weeks .... hope this means they will service and check all the lifts !!! urgh !
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Actually, that sounds rather jolly!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, and the rescued got a free hot Chocolate as well as the helicopter ride! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Did they refund their lift passes for the day?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Monium, According to the article in the French newspaper they were given free lift passes as well as hot chocolate Toofy Grin (Doesn't say if they were season passes!)
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lifetime passes i hope!!!

My mrs would freak out, they would have to bring a defrib for her first!!! She doesn't even like going in elevators at the shopping centre rolling eyes
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Went up on it today and survived Laughing
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boredsurfing, did they get the top station at the glacier replaced after that fire ?? (I'm going back a few years - bear with me - bit out of date). And did we ever hear what caused the fire? Maybe after 35 years the old thing needs to be quietly retired and replaced.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dubaian, Yep, the top station was replaced and a few records broken in the process, there are some pictorial display panels in the new top station detailing the how what when and how fast.
There is a conspiracy theory amongst the locals however, that the conglomerate that now owns the lift company are looking for excuses/reasons to close the secteur Glacier completely.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I went a bit funny after having my first daughter almost ten years ago. Dont like flying, didnt like lifts etc. Starting to ski was a really positive step for me as I love the mountains; cant believe how much I love chairlifts. Gondolas arent my fave as i feel a bit too enclosed but i actually think I would have quite enjoyed that rescue - though I'd never sign up for a heli ride normally. We also got stuck in an elevator in our hotel in Courchevel - stuff like that does a world of good, face your fear!!!! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow, not sure I would have enjoyed that much, i can't imagine a small metal box bobbing about in the heli's downdraft would have been too much fun whilst the guy on the line swooped in, let alone stepping off the gondola 70m up....gulp. I don;t mind heights but there are limitations LOL
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boredsurfing wrote:
There is a conspiracy theory amongst the locals however, that the conglomerate that now owns the lift company are looking for excuses/reasons to close the secteur Glacier completely.

I believe it no longer opens in summer but surely in winter it gives access to a huge area of off piste. Be a shame to lose that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Was there from 26/12 for a week. We had a major moment on the Vanois express, stopped, rolled back, sat above valley for 10 minutes then started up.
Worse was to come on the varet lift from Arc 2000. Stopped 4 times, right above cliffs, swung a bit, slowly moved up. Just had a feeling all week things weren't working! Glad it didn't happen to us!!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lowerist, wow, on the vanoise with 200 people !! Crikey !! were there tears
snow report
We skiid there last Easter, staying Les Coches and the cabins on the Roche de Mio felt dodgy & old anyway.
Although it would be a shame if they were to use it as an excuse to close the glacier runs as they were still really nice that late in the season & spectacular.
Whilst we used the Vanois express many times whilst there and it certainly felt safe although it was never any where near 1/2 full being late in the season.

Noisey
latest report
No tears thankfully! And it was very quiet on my deck (bottom)....people trying to laugh it off, but when it happened the second time and we rolled backwards it got very quiet...only broken by someone saying...'I'm not really enjoying this anymore...'!! Understatement!
snow report
lowerist wrote:
No tears thankfully! And it was very quiet on my deck (bottom)....people trying to laugh it off, but when it happened the second time and we rolled backwards it got very quiet...only broken by someone saying...'I'm not really enjoying this anymore...'!! Understatement!

Poor you - funnily, I watched the Van express doing the back and forth you describe, we can see it from lower down the valley where we have a place. Remember thinking of the chances of there being a SH on it.

My major comfort on lifts derives from the main manufacturers being Swiss - thorough engineering.

The cabins up to the Roche are sweet, but ageing - and the though of how exposed you are at a few points does rather focus the mind rolling eyes

Still looking forward to going up at half term and Easter. snowHead
snow conditions
If you really want another view of the VE there is somewhere on you tube a video of the guys parachuting out of it halfway across Toofy Grin
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/6s9ZVysbE6I&NR=1
snow report
Boredsurfing wrote:
http://youtube.com/v/6s9ZVysbE6I&NR=1
There was a choice a few years ago on whether they spent 9m on the Vanoise Express or spent the money renewing the local lifting that were " a little bit tired." We went on the telecabine yesterday and today however my buddy on my left says you'd want the helicopter to drop you off in some powder and keep coming back to you!

On a seperate issue of Avalanches we were on the way up the galcier today looking out of the gondola at a route we skied earlier in the week and were thinking about for today when we saw a man/woman being dug out of an avalanche with airbag deployed.
snow conditions
roche1800, where exactly was it located under the gondola when you saw this person being dug out? On the glacier gondala or on the first gondola?
latest report
snowcrazy, the location - was on the gondola from when you leave the mid station (the low down gondola on the glacier side) going up to the top of glacier. Then if you ski back down under the gondola from the top staion about 3 pylons down, it actually makes your stomach clench up. went into ski shop to have a chat with a friens and he informed that a boarder was also dug out in Montchavin Secteur to the left hand side of the Salla lift (has a red wheel just off top of Bijolin). cheers
snow conditions
roche1800, we saw the tracks where they climbed up to ride down that face that day and where it had slide and they had been dug out near the Bijolin, very foolish place to ride, locals all know it slides in that place a lot. Last season the whole face went.

roche1800, are you here for a holiday or the season?
snow conditions
snowcrazy, i flit backwards and forwards. just finisehed 3 week stint and now back in uk (feeling depressed), i have been to Montchavin for last 6 or 7 years. back out in a few weeks for a week. are you out for holm or season? so you actually saw the person(s) off the Salla lift!!!! the Glacier incident makes it hit home when you actually see it for yourselve only a matter of metres away!! i am now into my second season with an ABS rucksack, guess you must always be vigilant!! it sounds as though you know the area, is that so! anyway catch you soon. snowHead
ski holidays
roche1800, no we did not see the avalanche happen, but got there shortly afterwards once it was all over and saw the place. Yes I do know the paradiski area well, been here many years. If you are into off piste skiing, send me a PM next time you are out and we could meet up.

Have you done the Mont Albert - Villaroger Challenge yet? Fun, but needs more snow at the Villaroger side. We have a great off piste route worked out now for when there is more snow Toofy Grin anyone else interested in joining me for this let me know. Twisted Evil
snow report
roche1800, Seems like we are getting way off topic now so if you fancy chatting about the Paradiski area, many of us from the Les Arcs side chat on the 'Les Arcs season thread' in the Snow reports section. See you there Very Happy
ski holidays
snowcrazy, yep have done the M to V challenge - and yes great fun! just re readiong your post, do you mean you now have an off piste route for the M to V challenge. yep will have alook at the thread. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy