Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2month trip and dont know where to go

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I want to get away for a bit, im 24 and from the UK and love skiing so just signed up here to get some advice from you guys on where i should go for a 2 month skiing trip (jan-mar).
I dont even know if Europe or USA is best option (ski or price wise) so hopefully you can help me out with everything ill need to know and give me some price comparisons and any money saving tips you may have. I will be going alone.

Im a good skier so i want a resort/place where i wont get bored of the same runs, Im probable goin to ski for 3-4 days of the week.

Also want to be in a nice place, with things to do and meeting people ect. And any tips for renting.

I also need advice on buyin equipment. Am i better buying everything once im at the resort, or get clothes in england and skis/boots there?. How much is this trip goin to cost?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dave.j, I think U are a little late to planning this kind of trip,, the cheap rooms are proberly out, but U can ask on the forum if someone had place for you, You ask for how much it will cost you? but I ask you, what is your budget? the best you can do ist try to work a little, do you speak german or French? if you do, it will be more easy to find work, however, when U are so late with planning, forget US, beacause the skipasses will be very expensive, they give very good offer to buy in august-september,, and how much U skiing in slopes / offpist?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sorry my post wasnt very clear. Im not going there to work and only speak english. I didnt have a budget but want to save where i can. And generally open to options/advice. Never skied offpiste b4 but prob would be by the end.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

How much is this trip goin to cost?

Quote:

I didnt have a budget

You are not going to get any sensible information unless you are more precise. How much is it going to cost = How long is a piece of string? You could spend £2K for a week's holiday with no problem, or you could really economise and spend (apart from airfares) around £400. What do you know already and what research have you done? You can easily check, for example, what a lift pass for the 3 Valleys or the Espace Killy will cost. Accommodation will become very expensive (if you go to France) in the French school holidays from mid February. Are you willing to stay in a cheap hostel dorm - or do you want a room to yourself? do you want to keep costs down by cooking your own food, or do you want somewhere which provides meals? Will you be driving down, and therefore able to find a room a drive away from ski slopes (cheaper) or do you want to be within walking/bus distance of the slopes?

If you provide more details and ask some sensible questions you'll get plenty of useful advice here.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Two years ago I bought a Japanese rail pass and toured Japan. There are about 600 resorts in Japan (most are very small), I started in Hoikkaido and then headed south. You could quite happily spend the two months in Hokkaido though.
Apart from the exchange rate the prices are not too different to Europe. It is easy to stay in Japan on a budget but it is also easy to blow a considerable amount of cash.

If you decide to go you must get your rail pass before you leave, they are quite expensive but if you plan to travel a lot it will save you a fortune!

It is all about that unbelievable powder snow, taking an Onsen every night and eating excellent food!! I had a blast.... oh and those chicks!...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
dave.j,

Don't you have any equipment? I would say it would be cheaper to buy your gear over here, but unless you're some form of Rockerfeller you wont be able to afford all this + 2 months in a ski resort (without employment) by January (which is tomorrow by the way Confused ).

I would say Europe also, never been to US but at least you're closer to home if the funds start to run a bit dry.

But if you do manage it, have fun Very Happy .
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cairngorm in a tent
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Smokin Joe, Laughing wee primus stove, some kendal mint cake - sorted!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, what more do you need ? Laughing
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Verbier, rent Richard Branson's chalet and make sure you have a guide for the 4 days you want to ski. When not skiing, try the Kazbar or the bar above for apres...

Well - you said you didn't have a budget.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon head to the Alps, drive yourself over there so you have some transport, plus you'll have a lot of gear with you. It will be the cheapest, and easiest option. Given the timescales, make your life easy and it is possible. Ski areas like Espace Killy (Tignes and Val D'Isere) and the 3 Valleys (Meribel, Val Thorens, Courchevel etc) will have plenty enough to keep you happy for 2 months.

There will be accommodation somewhere or other. Suggest you budget double what you'd rent a place for in the UK - assume that your money won't go anywhere near as far. You might have to just go and do it and see where you end up, but book somewhere for the first week. Spend the first week finding somewhere to stay longer term.

Buy your gear here before you go. Prices in resort can be outrageous, using forums like this will help you to find budget gear in local shops or online that will save you hundreds. It is possible to get bargains in resort, but I've never seen a TK Maxx in Val D'Isere.

Best place for advice on this kind of thing is www.natives.co.uk - these questions get asked all the time, and they have people who are out there doing it right now.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
dave.j, You lucky person..................if I were you I'd be getting myself kitted up before you go, skis, boots, and good clothing bought in the sales, and driving out to St Anton, calling into a few Pensions/ B&B's and doing a deal for an 4-5 week extended stay, expect to pay say 30-35€ per night for a small box room out of town, and maybe getting a bar job for a couple of evenings a week to stop boredom setting in (unlikely I know but 2 months is a long time to just ski, wish it was me though). Theres a brilliant seasonaires scene out there and you'll soon slot in and meet loads of people in similar situation. Or do same in Val/ Tignes but IMO better off-piste and apres in St Anton.

Alternatively if money no object get out to BC and go CAT skiing for a month before heading out to Japan, Hokkaido.

Whatever you do have a great time Going green
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you have a car then renting a place outside of a resort will be much cheaper.
(e.g. Instead of staying in St Anton find somewhere to rent in Pettneu or near Landeck or near Innsbruck).

If you don't have a car stay in a village / town with good rail connections (e.g. Innsbruck is well connected with St Anton, Zell am See etc)
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier wrote:
however, when U are so late with planning, forget US, beacause the skipasses will be very expensive, they give very good offer to buy in august-september,, and how much U skiing in slopes / offpist?

That's not entirely true. There're a lot of US resort in out of way places that one can get a season ticket for not too much even this late in the game.

Even the famed Heavenly (now combined with Northstar) season pass is only $379, which is what, under 300 pounds? Between the two resorts, you should get bored for a mere two month (skiing only 4-5 day out of the week). Lodging in the Tahoe area isn't as expensive as in Colorado Summit County area. You could potentially find a glorified shed for 2 months without breaking the bank... Other out of way places such as White Fish probably cost no more than that. But you probably need a car to get around (and drive on the wrong side of the road)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks for all the replies so far. Ill try cover as much as i can.

I would want to stay on my own, and ill be working from home somedays (on the laptop) while im there. I had no set budget, but i was thinking it wouldnt cost more than £4k total, am i even close?

Altho i said i was a good skier ive only been on piste once (maine). All the skiing ive done has been in england on dry slopes where i used to go about once a week. Im not familiar with any resort names so i came here to find out from you guys. The only equipment i have is boots and some old clothes but ill need to buy a few new bits and skies which i know now to do b4 i go Blush .

I have driving licence but no car. Is it worth gettin a cheap car and driving there and will this save me money in the long run?. How is the drive?

I havnt really found anything out from the research ive done, and all the sites or places ive looked at have all been for short term stays and other things ive looked at havnt been what im looking for either. This site is prob the best thing ive found.

I dont need to stay right on the slopes. But would Like an english friendly village as i only speak english aswell.
latest report
abc, I dont know where U got $379 in Havenly from, the price for a seasonpass for adult is $799 inkluded Northstar
ski holidays
dave.j, If U want to live in a bigger town and olnly speak english, Salt Lake City is a good choice, the chance to find a cheaper room is good. American people are usally very friendly,, U can buy Salt Lake super skipass, and have 6 resorts inkludes buss transfer from busstation in central SLC, Transfer time is from 45min-1h30min, this pass U kan make the choise to only buy seasonpass for midweekskiing, that make a big different in prices, I dont know about prices for the pass, I have not been there for the last 10 year, anyway I think a seasonpass is cheapest choice.
latest report
freeheelskier, I think it might have just expired over Christmas/New Year!

Utah resort prices are pretty high actually. Though by this time of year, when all discounted pass deals had already expired, it's probably no worse than other places.

dave.j, so you're trying to do what I was planning to do 2 years ago. Yes, you've left it a bit late to start planning if you're thinking of going in January (which today is already). Just a point for you to keep in mind: if you're planning to work part time, and need to contact (e-mail/phone/chat) with your home office, there's a certain advantage and disadvantage of basing yourself in the US. The time difference works either in your favor or against, depending on your priority. The Rockies are 9 hrs behind UK time. So you may or may not like working from midnight and till 8am! Unless you want to maximize your ski time and make a long day out of it... Wink

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 2-01-11 19:52; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Did a bum season in 2001 in Chamonix. Get looking at appartments in Chamonix sud for a private place, defo cheapest decent accommodation in Chamonix maybe the French Alps! A lot of British seasonairres with 'english' pubs but the French alpine way of life is still prominent. You could fly Geneva and ditch the car idea (good rail links for any long distance travel) and use free local buses. The place is huge and more than enough terrain for multi seasons!

I am biased as I love the place but also think it is the best for your kind of long holiday idea!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy