Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Tyre Bulletin (from an Austrian car park)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
dredgey, I run mine for 5 months a year and do about 6-7000 miles on them, they have done about 10,000 so far and will be OK for rest of this year, and also next I reckon. They have been brilliant here as well as in the Alps, my car goes everywhere with them, I live 8 miles up very steep country lanes, we've had bad snow and ice this and last year, and NYCC are allergic to putting grit in their lorries so its a necessity. The tyre place swaps them over for £50 incl balancing all 4 in spring and I keep them in my garage over the summer, you just drive on them with a much happier piece of mind, I'd recommend a punt on them.........not that much different to all year round tyres at £560 thats a decent price.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dredgey wrote:
So my question to to Bode Swiller is that when you were monkeying about in the car park, did you generally get the opinion that a lot of people took their chances?
yes, other than Austrians, MOST others were not shod with winter tyres. My own next door neighbour told me other day that they are driving to Zillertal this February (their first time in Austria). I hit him with the old "have you got winter tyres" routine and explained the law and he is perfectly happy to take his chances on his new summer rubber and a set of supermarket chains if he needs to buy any out there. The strong probability is that absolutely nothing will go wrong. In my view the Austrian cops turn a blind eye when it comes to tourists (unless they are involved in an accident) otherwise they'd be handing out fines ten to the dozen and their foreign visitors might consider going elsewhere. Personally, i just like the extra feeling of certainty my winter tyres give me but I'd also be perfectly happy mooching down their on summer rubber just like I did anyway for a few decades.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you buy a vignette at the boarder or beginning of the necessary roads that require them??
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dredgey, At the border or at first fuel station is better, no queues
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dredgey, best to stop on the way to the border at any of the service areas along the A8 after Munich - Holzkirchen and Irschenberg being the best options. The Kiefersfelden area sells them as well but it is usually a zoo there as everyone who has forgotten drives in there to pick up a vignette before it is too late. You can also buy them at the servce station at Vaterstetten on the A99 around Munich.

Most of the Bavarians prefer NOT to buy one which means they have to leave the autobahn at Kufstein-Süd (it is toll-free to that exit). This means that the B171 which runs parallel to the autobahn is often very, very full and frustrating to drive along.

Buying them en route is not a good idea as the checks are just after the beginning of the toll section. I have often seen the ASFINAG minibuses sitting on the hard shoulder or hidden just by the first slip road after the beginning of the tolls, picking up those who think they got away with it. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the reply Bode, I know its probaly not the most politically correct view but I'm inclined to agree with your next door neighbour. And I can imagine you're probably right regarding the level of strictness given that your research found that most were on normal tyres. Ideally I would shell out for the winter wonder boots and I agree this is the best option but for this journey I'm going on the probability I'll be ok providing I drive carefully and use my chains if possible/necessary.

Unless anyone has any actual experiences of this €5,000 fine, I'll go on the basis that the fines that I've read people have received are far cheaper than a set of new tyres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
dredgey wrote:
Cheers for the response Mark; would be nice to have a set of the Vredstein Wintrac Extremes ... £560 for 4 though (235/40/R18), Ouch!

Anyone on here chanced it or had any situations where they've been fined?

PS I haven't checked my tyres thouroughly in the daylight yet but I assume they won't be M&S ones being the type of car.

I know what you mean, but how much was your car? Or are you lucky enough to have it via company scheme.

It is a big investment up front, but then your summer ones will last longer so you don't spend more overall.

The question I was asked - is £560 more than your kids lives then?

Yes I got some tyres the next week, although not a legal requirement for UK to France, and I have been running rings around 4*4s in snow here
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, I agree 100%, its a no-brainer IMO. Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for the responses guys, I can understand your points; I know the best option is to get the winter tyres. But as the law states the tyre rule comes into place during winter conditions (such as snow slush or ice) but as an alternative chains can be used providing they won't damage the road then I'll stick to my chains as I have been doing for the past years.

I've driven to the alps a lot of times and my father has been driving to alps since the 50's neither of us have ever had any problems with safety. Personally I don't think just because they have upgraded the laws to say you need a winter tyre in order to use your car during snowy/icey/slushy conditions that I'm suddenly putting myself in danger. But noted it would improve the handling of the car. I don't have kids yet by the way Boris but maybe one day!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 3-03-11 14:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well I took the gamble. Whilst I appreciated everybody's views on this post prior to going, the snow in the alps was lacking if anything so I drove to Kitzbuhel and back on my normal tyres. No encouters with having the wrong tyres but as I say the roads were clear all the way there and all the way back (didn't even need to fit my chains). Obviously if I had been going to a higher resort this may have been a different case but thankfully all went well.

Great holiday, great weather all week (could have used a bit more snow but there was enough to get on with). Kitzbuhel is defintely a great place to go! Driving home from Kitzbuhel to Basingstoke (UK) in a day was a bit of a drive though.

Thanks for the opinions previously; when I get my next set of tyres fitted I'll ask for 'M&S' ones just to avoid any future gambles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy