Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Italy.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all...I wonder if anyone could give some advise.

I'm driving to Sauze with my Girlfriend this January. We are trying to determine, how easy it is to park up in the resort. Can anyone recommend a place to park that is safe and not extortionate price wise?

Also, we need to buy some Snow Chains. Which is the best place to buy them from before we travel?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://www.roofbox.co.uk/

they provide excellent advice too - busy at the moment, though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not sure which route you will be taking but many countries charge a toll (e.g. for travelling through Austria you need to buy a Vignette). I wouldn't drive from the UK to Italy in Jan without winter tyres or high quality all season tyres. Chains can be used in not so heavy winter conditions too but you are then restricted to around 30 mph or the chains break and could damge the car. Winter tyres greatly reduce the probability that you will have to use chains.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Winter tyres would certainly be preferable - but you need to carry chains too. Though if you have winter tyres you could get a cheap supermarket set of chains, as it's much less likely you'd need to use them. If you just have ordinary tyres, it's worth investing in decent chains. they're easier to put on, and less likely to break. Practice putting them on before you go.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/snow-chains-winter-tyres.html
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Not a lot of parking spaces in sauze, check if your hotel has parking and what they charge that might be your best bet, the centre of town has limited access. There is parking on some off the streets but not ideal. if you are taking motorways through France and then the frejus no real need for snow tyres.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the advise so far. We've just bought a Land Rover Discovery, I was hoping the Tyres on that would be sufficient, plus the Snow Chains if it gets really bad.

We've driven through France and Italy before, but never on the roads leading up to Sauze. We've also worked a Season in La Plagne, which entailed driving down into Town for the Supermarkets each week in a People carrier. TBH...we never experienced road problems at all in the whole time we were there.

Hopefully the roads will be ok, but as i've never driven to Sauze, it's hard to know what to expect.

Should be another good adventure though...really looking forward to it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are staying at the Hotel Relais des Alpes. I notice it is situated on the main piazza, which seems to have lots of parking outside the hotel. I wasn't sure whether this was the hotels parking facilities or whether it was public parking. I'll have to email the hotel me thinks. Unless anyone knows....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

We've just bought a Land Rover Discovery

Wow - how much will that cost you in fuel to drive to Italy at motorway speeds? Unlikely you'd need chains, I guess, though I've seen a Discovery in chains here, he probably lives up a farm track.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's a diesel, and suprisingly it's very economical. We drove through France and Italy for 3 months in a Freelander a couple of years ago, and i was really suprised how economical it turned out to be. We've flown quiet a lot this year, and we are both fed up with airports and the hassle. The thought of that and the transfer and all the ski equipment, just made us think to drive. We are going to take it easy and take 3 days there and 3 back. Make a stop in Paris on the way back.

From talking to people, more and more are thinking of driving or going by Train, just because of the major hassle and inconvenience of air travel now. Even if it costs a little extra, it will be worth it in my book.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sauze has some parking in the centre, but not much, and it is heavily policed. The drive up from the Autostrade is not to bad at all. I would suggest that you drive up past the centre of Sauze, and there are some parking slots past the Chalet del Sole. However, you will need to check the legality of these. the best people to help would be the Sauze Tourist office. You can contact them here: http://www.comune.sauzedoulx.to.it/item_list.asp?c=99 Hope this helps! Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The relais does have parking spots but they could be limited so best to check with the hotel, you will have no problem getting up to Sauze in land Rover unless you arrive in a fresh dump, the road has been kept pretty clear all winter so far.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy