Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Screenwash

Poster: A snowHead
This was debated last year and now is the time to sort out the screen wash since we drove down France without actually being able to see last year because the whole system just froze up

Do I go for the proprietary brand for my XC90 - says it will do down to -20? or try and source one that will do a lower temperature?

We don't have a Costco which seemed to be a favourite last year and I haven't been in to Lidl which also seemed to be a choice last year

Over to you
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I get a pre-mix one good for -60c neat - bottle I have here, ready to pour in is branded "Nigrin"
Any ski resort is likely to go below that -20c overnight
More likely to find a lower temp one in France, Germany etc. I'd expect?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tollpepper, Lidl's stuff is pretty good BUT check because they do two one only goes down to -20c which is OK but the other goes down to -40c. If the forecast is bad put it in neat. You can always add water when you get home.
Dont forget to keep the nozzles clean, if they are dirty the liquid clings to them and freezes them over!
Check how much the washer reservoir takes and if neccesary take a small bottle in the boot for an emergency top up, don't be tempted to pay motorway prices for it!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 27-11-10 12:01; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
When I drove out to France last winter, there was no screen wash available at any of the service stations, take a supply with you. I recon that what ever they state on the container as the lowest operating temp. you need to half, ie -20 is good for -10.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gosh there's some nonsense talked on here at times. Laughing

The screenwash we habitually buy here is marked as being good for -20°C and is more than adequate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lizzard, maybe because the French know that the stuff is likely actually to be used at that temperature - not true for most Brits. I remember back in the 80s my Air Force base experienced -20°C. The diesel fuel we had was supposed to be good for that; in practice, it waxed. No doubt the supplier didn't expect the claimed freezing point to be tested in use.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My -20c pre-mix stuff froze at -6c. Drove most of the way from frankfurt to calais having to make use of spray being flicked up by trucks to keep my screen clean enough to see. Melted somewhere between brussels and gent. Hence the -60c stuff now.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just buy the cheapest bottle of VODKA you can find and just put that in your washer bottle,that will never freeze.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am sure I said the same thing Last year Toofy Grin Meths wink (Methylated Spirits) just add to normal screen wash has never frozen on me yet.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
livetoski, When I had my old Ford Anglia and meths was easily obtained I used it but with todays modern paint finishes and lacquers I would worry that the meths eat into the top coat?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been and stocked up on the Lidl down to -40 (I thought it was -60) one, it's good slosh!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, It's good but does pong a bit Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go to any Motorworld shop and they sell it, its pink and a carplan product, says -36 on the bottle i think.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Halfords Super-Concentrated screen wash is good if used neat. Alterntively go to your local chemist and buy de-natured alcohol (rubbing alcohol), or ethanol. Add about 10% to water

Just make sure your not smoking whilst using it neat Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Boredsurfing, it's all liable to all pong if its got enough glycol in it to do the job!

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 27-11-10 22:15; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Be very carefull using neat screenwash... it can perminently mark the paintwork.
snow report
My paintwork looks like hell anyway. The local seabirds see to that.

Megamum, I don't think they put glycol in screenwash. that's antifreeze, not good for the health.

Hmmm... rubbing alcohol. Iso propanol, I used ot get that from the chemists, not that they sell anything decent these days.

Carplan seem to produce different grades for different markets. Polish websites show it down to -36, but I'm hard pressed to find it here. Was it Ricklovesthe powder who was offering the decent stuff last season ? I'm up for it, frozen jets twice already this year. If my car was a bit more old fashioned, I'd seriously think about running a line off the cooling system to heat the washer bottle and accoutrements.

I could do without the flipping nightmare I had last year on a drive to Edinburgh in the forst of theheavy snowfalls. The wife's Corsa froze up and I could only clear the screen when the salt got thick enough for the wipers to scrape it off on lumps.
snow report
Isopropanol is great for getting the sticky bits from plasters off your skin. Smells like ether too Smile
ski holidays
thirty06 wrote:
My paintwork looks like hell anyway. The local seabirds see to that.

Megamum, I don't think they put glycol in screenwash. that's antifreeze, not good for the health.

The screenwash products we are talking of are antifreeze screenwashes - so maybe they do.

BTW, I have been using the Lidl one for the last year, and even at quite low dilutions, it still sprays at -5 or lower. I'll check the bottle tomorrow to see if it says it contains glycol.

Quote:

I could do without the flipping nightmare I had last year on a drive to Edinburgh in the forst of theheavy snowfalls. The wife's Corsa froze up and I could only clear the screen when the salt got thick enough for the wipers to scrape it off on lumps.

It was that type of situation last winter that made me go out and get the Lidl one.
ski holidays
I have a trip round the M25 to HH Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy planned for tomorrow morning - I thought I had better go out and check out the car which is in an open air car port. Screen wash bottle about 1/4 full of Morrisons undiluted screenwash. Lid off and tank is full of icebergs which would endanger the Titanic. I topped the bottle up with Lidls thick and gloopy undiluted, and within moments the ice was gone. I then squirted from and back screens several times to get the new wash strength into the lines on the basis that there was no good having a tank of decent stuff if it couldn't get through the lines which could be full of lower strength stuff and frozen solid. I have checked Lidls ingredients - alchohol, glycol, 5% anionic surfactant and citrus smell. Also in car are gloves, ice-scrapers, first aid kit, Hi vis jackets, and travel blanket. I will also take biscuits and drinks - you never know which morons will run into you esp. on a frosty morning.
snow conditions
I have the carplan screenwash. BOGOF from eurocarparts just now. However, the good one I got last year from them was called bluecol. Goes down to -36 (well -15 at aviemore) no problem. And about £5 for 5 l
ski holidays
B.t.w in case anyone is interested the Lidl one def. says -60C.
ski holidays
Our lidl's didn't have any so ended up buying one at Halfords - not their own that says -63C on it
snow report
Megamum, is so right about making sure the good stuff is in the lines. I topped my reservoir up with Lidl's finest on Saturday. This morning I start off and can't clear the windscreen as no screenwash is coming through as it still contains the low strength stuff. Even with heated washer jets (that I didn't know I had until I saw the cables and read the manual....) fluid didn't flow from the main reservoir until the journey was nearly over.

More Megamum top tips welcome here!
ski holidays
Tollpepper, I use Holts high performance goes down to -36c, or halfords own check they do two types one goes lower, never had a problem when driving down to the alps.
Megamum,in addition to your sensible suggestion also permanently have fleece, waterproof / windproof jacket and trousers and head torch.
ski holidays
radar, I'm off to HH to ski tomorrow - assuming the weather lets me get there - I'm taking all my ski gear for a day in the fridge. So I should be OK for warm clobber should the need arise!! Laughing I should have added that I always carry a couple of torches, a spare bulb set and a mobile phone!! I also lobbed the other half of the Lidls screenwash bottle that I didn't use in the boot!
snow conditions
I was down at LIDL last week and didn't buy any, darn it. Luckily it's not that cold, just snowy. For some reason Halfords have bunged fluorescein in their screenwash, it's an eery green.
snow report
Megamum, a new addition to the kit, a couple of tea lights and some matches
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i can vouch for Holts -35 degree used neat. It does not freeze in the lines or nozzles and actually defrosts the screen in a couple of blasts. Pongs a bit though. Got mine from costco. Well worth the few quid to keep safe on motorways.
ski holidays
I had Holts and it froze at about -7.

Got some from BMW dealers, it was about £3.25 for a litre and is good down to -36 neat and about -15 at 1:1.

Just topped up what was in their with neat BMW stuff and its been fine.

Suppose its designed for Bavarian winters, so should be good enough....
ski holidays
I live in Aviemore and up til this year I used Bluecol - however, a pal recommended Frostex and its my choice now
http://www.eurocarparts.com/concentrate-screenwash/searchkeyword/frostex
Undiluted it has a freezing point about minus 50. I usually have a couple of mixes on the go - 50:50 with water when its really baltic (like minus 20) and 30:70 for when its 0 to minus 15
Hasn't let me down so far. Always spray some through the jets last thing at night onto the windscreen to stop everything (windscreen included) freezing
Top stuff, not that expensive (when diluted) and free delivery Cool
ski holidays
ItsSnowJoke,
seems to depend which blend you buy (true for all makes)
latest report
that frostex stuff is the danglies , i have it in mine - 11 outside one night over xmas
jumped in a couple of squirts and off i went ( whilst the brother in law who thinks screen wash doesnt work )
caried on scraping his windscreen

well worth it
snow report
gazza2 wrote:
jumped in a couple of squirts and off i went...

Ha, love it.

Getting back on point, screenwash i bought from Lidl last year was great. Drove back from Oxford - Newcastle in late Jan, conditions were terrible and it worked a treat. They should have drenched the A19 in that stuff!
snow conditions
The BMW stuff is -67c neat and -37c at 66%. Its mid-high -20's at 1:1

The Holts was out of Costco, £3-4 for 5l.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy