Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz or La Plagne for Xmas 2011

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Looking to get one booked now for next Christmas so would like some opinions please.

We have a little man who will be 3 1/2 years old come next Xmas so ideal for him to start (hes already been on the slopes this year with me a mum)

We are looking at either Avoriaz or La Plagne (after much narrowing down).

Plagne 1800 apts In La Plagne

La Falaise Apartments In Avoriaz

Any comments on the Apartments please guys ? would like a tv in the room as we have a few peppa pigs on a portable harddrive Smile

Both come out at about the same price, the ski school from what i have read is better in La Plagne ??? any comments on that ? This is for our son.

Thank you for your time fellow Snowheads

Regards

Leigh.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Although I am biased, Avoriaz is less spread out than la Plagne! For that age the "village des enfants" would be a good choice!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
leeboy, Have stayed at La Falaise. Typical economy level French apartments really. i.e. can't swing a cat and very basic. However, nice and warm, clean and excellent location and right next to nursery slopes. Can't comment on Ski School but I wouldn't imagine there would be much difference twix the two. There was a TV in the room although no idea if it worked or not! It's also really handy for the car park if you are driving there. Couple of ski hire places in the La Falaise area which will only be a few metres from wherever you are staying.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you guys for your comments.

Still cant make my mind up on this, we have been to Avoriaz but it was a long long time ago so long i cant recall ever going!

Am i right in saying they are both about the same height ? i have read going that early in the season it can be abit thin on the slopes so you need to go high ?

Which of the 2 would be recomended for better snow ? going off recent history of course.

I have searched the review pages up top but cant find any reviews on either hotels did you do a report awksquawk buddy?

Our little man has been asking where the snow has gone now its all melted round here ....We dont need anymore hints off him to get one booked snowHead snowHead

Thank you for your time

Regards

Leigh

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 31-12-10 10:09; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You cant rely on snow any time of the year, that said you will probably not find anywhere with snow if Avoriaz and La Plagne do not have it!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I second that for La Falaise, i stayed there this year, basic but more than enough for a week, spacious by french standards i would say. the one i stayed in did have a tv with limited chanels.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
plagne 1800 is nice enough, not much in the way of shopping (only a smallish spar) but there's a jardin des enfants right next to the entrance to the slopes. Never done avoriaz but I understand it's not too high. 1800 was fine last week, although the bottlenecks and busy areas getting between the villages were wearing quite thin. One of the families in our chalet had three kids (2, 4 and 6) and they seemd to really enjoy themselves: the 2 yr old was in kids club all week, the 4 year old floated between ski lessons and kids club and the 6 yr old did lessons then skiied with mum and dad.

the only bad thing I'd worry about is the getting between the areas, it can be confusing and can be quite flat.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
90% La Plagne now...

Been reading snow reports and what not for 3 days now so its give me a real head ache

The wife likes the look of La Plagne in the brochures you see Smile

Thanks guys

Ill let you know if/when we book anything

Regards

Leigh snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now she has threw Tignes in the mix Puzzled
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
leeboy, What are your criteria that you used for the 'narrowing down' process? I'm guessing...

1. Must be Very Ugly indeed
2. Extremely expensive
3. Zero atmosphere
4. Regular whiteouts preferred
5. S/C accomodation akin to HMP Belmarsh
6. French.

Using the above as a selection system I would rank them in this order;

1. La Plagne
2. Tignes
3. Avoriaz

Let us know what you decide Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarcasm aside Red.

These are the cheapest deals i can find for xmas next year, If there are any other deals offering the same for the same moeny in a "better" resort please let me know.

I dont have money to burn so cheapest normally wins when we go away, if i had more money to spend then i would open up the search.

With all the resorts above coming in at around the same price give or take a few tenners, with the others adding 100s of pounds to the bill.

The above are also offering free morning/afternoon childcare and deals on kids ski school others are not mate.

To answer your questions though matey.

1, Im not going to sight see
2, We take much of what we need so no need to go out spending, we take 80-90% of our own food.
3, Having a little lad that will not sit still at all going out of a night is not on the cards.
4, Cant comment on that
5, If its got a bed, clean, cooking area and 4 walls great, aslong as the lad is happy with his peppa pig relaxing after a day learning to ski im happy.
6, Whats wrong with France?

Tignes is now the prefered choice too.

Regards

Leigh.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
leeboy, Tignes a great choice for Christmas. Espace Killy arguably best ski area in the world. High altitude and glacier guarantee good skiing even in a poor snow year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Leigh,
if cost is a majot consideration, you will probably save yourself far more arranging everything yourself. Don't be fooled by British TOs offering "free" things like 2 for 1 on ski hire or ski school, often when you price these things up, they are simply cheaper to pay direct to whoever is providing the service such as ski school or lift pass company.

Consider flying Easyjet to Geneva for example, or taking the train from London, either the direct Eurostar which takes you to La Plagne area resorts and Les Arcs and La Rosiere etc, or by changing in Lille/Paris you can reach other valleys such as the Maurienne which is little frequented by the Brits, mainly French/Belgian/Dutch go there.

Self-catering is likely to be your cheapest and an easy option with young children - no waiting for food at restaurants or in catered chalets. France has a large number of companies offering apartments, they will often be "compact" but metres squared is always in the description so you can compare sizes between apartments and companies. Try Goelia, Maeva, Pierre et Vacances, Odalys, LaGrange, Residhotel, these are the most well known, but there are plenty more. There is someone who has posted here, having just returned from Aussois with Goelia, look at what that person has posted on having a great skiing holiday at small cost.

When calculating costs, good idea to do a total holiday costing. Add ski hire, passes, lessons, food, transport to/from resort, accommodation. Tignes is not know for somewhere to save money, or La Plagne, I'm certain you could find plenty of places which will be cheaper.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks like we have a winner ....

Hotel Diva in Tignes has been enquired about with Crystal
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Diva in tignes is great, have stayed there, but as a 4* hotel it doesn't exactly fit the "budget" requirement!
ski holidays
hi, have read the comments above with much interest and find i have encountered your dilemas myself,firstlly tignes and la plagne can get very very cold and dont have many trees in case of heavy snow or winds but do offer good early season snow.we to have young children so to reach a compromise we went to les coches last year which is a satelite village to la plagne,accomadation is cheap its not to high(1400m) so the kids dont get to cold plus the adults have access to the whole paradaski area,if you can go in january rather than xmas thers cracking last minute deals with the TOs also look at montalbert and montchavin..mason
snow conditions
leeboy, good choice. like nbt says, not exactly budget biut great location, good food and nice rooms. Tignes has a great snow record, it'll be back on my itinerary soon(ish).
ski holidays
Hi guys,

Thank you for all your help and opinions.

We are booking the Hotal Diva tomorrow snowHead

Ski school and Child care book up so fast, this is the reason for us booking soooo early.

Done a diy package few years back and vowed never again... Dont like relying on people esp when your taxi pic up is late !

We priced up alot of SC in the areas we were looking at and the prices were not to far away from each other, i searched by mistake for hotels and saw the Diva come up with a full board free afternoon child care with Crystal reps (english) in the hotel, for not much over £200 more than the SC options, we would certainly spend more than £200 on food and we both dont drink when we're away (maybe the odd supermarket beer/wine in the room when the lad is asleep but not big drinkers)

The hotel also had alot to do with it, it looks fantastic and in a great place, although it takes us £200 over budget (inc lift passes) me and the wifey will be able to ski alot more as we would leave the lad with the reps in the afternoon (after his morning Ski school) in our hotel not keen on anywhere else. ( i have read the reps will pick them up if your unable/fancy a big day, not sure we would but its an option ive read).

So although not the cheapest option for initial payout but i think not far off when we return home and see how much has left our (my) pocket(s).

Thanks again for all your help and advice i will confirm when im a happy bunny once its all booked up

Regards

Leigh. Laughing
latest report
Booked it Little Angel Little Angel

Fly to Chambery too

7 nights Diva hotel full board from 24th December

A family friend is now manager at a going places who managed to get us over £400 discount Blush

Looking on the ESF site to get the lad booked in to his first SkiSchool moring sessions.

Thank you for all your help

Leigh.
snow conditions
Hi there
glad you got fixed up.
Do be aware that Piou-Piou lessons don't start until 4 years old at ESF Tignes, they have a kids club instead, which of course they charge more for!! For some children, this may be a better introduction to snow as it will be indoor and outdoor play according to what is on the website, but for those raring to go at 3 years old, it might be not be so suitable. Our just 3 year old was able to go on and off télésiege, do snow plough, did a 5km green run by the end of the week and got her ourson award when she did Piou-Piou lessons, our other daughter would never have thrived at such a young age. You might want to look around at alternatives to ESF if you want your lad to have proper lessons, or perhaps worth asking ESF if they allow some 3 year olds to do Piou-Piou instead - for one thing it's 50 euro cheaper.

Here's a map of your hotel in relation to ESF Kid club / Piou-Piou, you are in L2 marked number 7 and looks like a walk uphill to M2 near to number 128 on the map.
http://skisnowboardeurope.com/tignes/maps/tignes.netresortmap.pdf
latest report
Hi Wildnoon thank you for your help.

Our lad has been on ski's before and according to his grandad (school ski instrutor) he is strong enough now so i would imagine by next Christmas he will be more than ready, ill email them the question

Leigh
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy