Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What Buff/Neck Warmer?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I need to buy a neck warmer /buff for my skiing trip.

Which one is best, the original buff or the polar buff?

Please comment your opinions!!

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I favour the original. It's surprisingly warm and dries very quickly if it gets wet. It's also small enough to stuff in a pocket.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Locky12, I have both but only actually use the original buff. I find the polar one too bulky. The original can be easily pulled up over the neck and face if it blows a hoolie on the chair lift
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aldi or Lidl (don't remember which!) imitation polar for me.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have both and use both depending on the weather - thin one for 'ordinary' cold days, polar one, when it hits -10 ish and blows a hooley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Icebreaker merino neck tube/gaitor/buff
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I also have a 'normal' and polar buff. Polar one for the colder days, normal one for windy spring days, or as a helmet liner.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mine is just a tube of the cheapest nastiest fleece on earth. It works brilliantly keeping my neck and chin warm. We also make them before throwing out any old fleeces, just cut 8" from the very top of the arm. It will be the right diameter for your head/neck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Icebreaker. Doesn't stretch out of shape, doesn't ball up on stubble, performs like all Icebreaker stuff - warm, strong, doesn't smell etc.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Aldi are currently doing their ski promotion (started 27th). Their Buff copies are £2.99. Because all my buffs gradually disappear into some parallel universe over the course of a season, I've bought 8.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a Turtle Fur one, which is great.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I didn't realise turtles had fur Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jasongibson100, I found this on the Turtle Fur website
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm a fan of the North Face Windstopper one... Good size "bib" to tuck in, sits just below the chin and can pull it up nice and high when your on a lift going into the wind!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"Bandarf" JML Buff lookey likey, £3.99 in Asda.
ski holidays
Buff polar - then you pull up the thickness you need over your face as you need it leaving the rest round your neck where it never gets too hot.

Or I guess any cheaper copy would do but I got mine ages ago before they were copied.
snow report
Polar for me - I have the thinner part over my head, under my helmet and the fleece bit around my neck and face. At lunch time I make it into a beanie.
snow report
What is this polar buff of which you all speak? Puzzled
ski holidays
Hurtle, see https://www.buffwear.co.uk/catalogue/index.php/cPath/59
latest report
This is one of mine Very Happy

ski holidays
+ 1 for the polar buff - thin piece perfect for pulling up around the face if it gets a bit chilly. Can also double up as a knarly piece of head wear if one has the right design...... Toofy Grin
snow report
I have the cyclone buff which has warm bit for your neck and a gortex bit for your face to keep most weather out.
snow report
In spring a UV Buff is handy for covering bald heads from the sun Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Scarpa, you can't say that on here! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The helmet police are listening ......... Twisted Evil
latest report
I prefer the thin one as I hate the way fleece feels on my chin as the stubble kicks in. Buff is a perfect barrier between fleece & chin. Not that OP will have this problem, I hope.
latest report
original buff is enough for me. I swear by it, 4 years and going strong.
ski holidays
Skiing in the old buff certainly is exhilarating Toofy Grin
latest report
I have a cheap imitation of the original one, £6.99 at mountain warehouse, bought on a spur.
It was a revelation last year. It was cold in Kitzbuhel, snowy, bit of wind, and I had it on as kind of a balaclava under the helmet and it made a huge difference. Kept my face feeling warm throughout the stay.
So I'm thinking the polar version would only make a real difference in extremely cold days.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
someone nicked my buff from the Ptarmigan Restaurant at Cairngorm last week.... It's amazing how many crap jokes can be made to contain the word "buff"

Sad
latest report
Locky12, I have both - a genuine Buff in the lightweight fabric and various 'polar fleece' ones from Aldi. Both are good IMO, but the Buff is less intrusive and bulky, and does a good job in all but very cold/windy conditions.
snow conditions
OH loses on average two of these each season, so I was pleased when I managed to find one in Primark for £2 the other day- it is one of those with the thinner material attached to the fleece, so quite versitile. Probably not the most amazing quality, but it seems fine for the job!
latest report
Just look out for magazines which are giving them away as a free gift.

I have no end of originals, plus a couple of fake ones with "Cycling Plus" across them. I seem to end up with one in a pocket for every coat I own.
snow report
maggi wrote:
Scarpa, you can't say that on here! Shocked Shocked Shocked

The helmet police are listening ......... Twisted Evil

I was actually thinking of sitting in the sun at lunchtime Little Angel Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Could try the airhole ninja.. although if you've a big head like me the L/XL is still a bit snug!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy