Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SKI BUDDY / CHUM / FRIEND / MATE / PARTNER / SIDEKICK

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all.
I am looking for an adventurous type who is an experienced skier and has control of their work schedule.
I am self employed and aim to fit in 8 weeks skiing each season - that's 4 trips of 2 weeks.
I travel from Gatwick to Grenoble where I have a small flat in a nearby resort, and my trusty Land Rover to take me anywhere I please in the Alps.
The snow in my resort can be a little unreliable at the beginning and the end of the season, so company is sought mainly for December-January trip, and April trip.
For the middle 2 fortnights the snow is normally good, so my mates, who have less experience than I, normally fill the spaces, but there are still options then...
My mates don't have the flexibility I do, or the ski experience - I am seeking 'Side Country' off piste more and more, so Chamonix is a good example destination.
So, let me know if this sounds an exciting proposition - done well, it can provide a great value opportunity to ski the best of the Alps!
Will.[/b]
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
williamgray, welcome to snowheads snowHead

I would love to but the wife would not be happy rolling eyes

I'm sure you'll get some takers !
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
hey im heading on my own to chamonix for 2 weeks hopefully to do vallee blanche if there is enough snow!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads williamgray, snowHead
It does indeed sound like an exciting proposition however, December-January would tend to suggest XMas And/or New Year during which an absense from Family occasions could prove fatal. As for April, well I'm personally busy sorting out 100+ ski buddies of my own at the EoSB snowHead

All very interesting though Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah.. should be fun!! hope it snows soon!! have u been to chamonix before? im trying to find a ski camp but they all don't start till after new years Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
williamgray, jlaw, just a point about early season Chamonix. Most of the slopes there are very rocky, so they need quite a lot of snow before off-piste becomes skiable (Argentiere needs about a metre). This has frequently not had time to form by December. I've been a couple of times around new year, and it's only really opened up around the very end of Dec. Some pistes are normally open (but that's not why one goes to Chamonix), but it needs to be a pretty good year for it to be skiable off-piste before Xmas. The Vallee Blanche doesn't really open much before mid-Jan (and I have been there when it's still not been open until the very last weekend), as there needs to be enough snow to form snow-bridges over enough of the crevasses. This will be why the camps don't really get going until after New Year. Early season your best bet for off-piste is probably the grassier stations of Les Houches, Megeve and St Gervais. , Although I wasn't there last year, I believe that that was exceptional in openeing pretty early.

williamgray, would have been interested, but I'm now fixed up for Dec/Jan and need to think carefully about how to use my remaining 2009 annual holiday allowance.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi guys
Chamonix was just an example...
My resort is a great little place, but sometimes a little short of snow, but still off-piste kicks to be had.
I am only an hour from Les Deux Alpes, etc, and not much further from Val Thorens, with Tignes a little further still, and numerous smaller, often very snowy resorts (Les Sept Laux) in between, all with good off-piste potential.
The point to the post was flexibility, and that goes for the dates as well - so Feb and Mar are possibilities!
Obviously safety is of high importance, so I will have to be considering guides, but it would be nice to find a like-minded skier for some off-piste exploration as our knowledge and experience grows - starting with side country kicks in more familiar resorts...
I'm hoping for some takers, but perhaps I need to consider dusting off my childhood imaginary friend...!!! That, or pay for my mates who can ski to come out with me and bring them up to standard!!
Will
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
williamgray, Sounds a great idea and set-up. Your problem will tend to be, IMV, that you need to meet a few people whose skiing stacks up. This is not an easy match over the i-net. Stick around as there may be plenty of people who could ski with you, but you need to find them. You could start by hooking up with a few snowHead locals near your base.. And Serre C and that valley will always have people with chalets or passing through. A few even live there. As does the Tarentiase, of course

It is all about networking and this is a good start.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi,

I am a 47yo self enployed entertainer and former ski-instructor, not perhaps a top level instructor, but 15 seasons in Austria, (7 as instructor). Wifey & I have two weeks booked in Jan from the 10th. She wants to go back to our old haunt in Austria in Feb, so can't complain I have a week without her. I don't want to ski alone and love the powder, but am too sensible to do it alone, I have had avalanche training. So I'm up for a trip.

What's your set-up? Just one friend at a time, or will there be others of your mates at the same time?
Is yours a two bebroom flat.?
What kind of contribution are you looking for?
Do you go midweek to midweek to get cheeper flights?
Can we leave fixing up things till we see what the snow is going to be like, or go anyway hell or highwater?
Do you self cater or eat out all the time?
Which resort is your flat in?
Is there life there? (having said that, I am NOT a party animal, I go to ski - bed by 11)

Sorry there's so many questions, but this kind of thing can be brilliant, or can be a recepie for disaster if personalities clash.
See my website at url below
Any more you can tell all about yourself is a big help.
Cheers, all the best.
Andrew Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
skiday, all your videos pause half way through for me.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arv I think they are supposed to be like that...
Quote:
All video samples on this site are compressed and so are not of the same quality as the original DVD.

DVD is available to buy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh, sneaky.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skiday, Might be worth sending williamgray, a PM as well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
arv wrote:
Ahh, sneaky.

Sneaky!!!

I'm just trying to make an honest crust!

However, if any Snowheads would like to PM me I'll take off £10 - How's that?
£7 inc p&p.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i have replied to Libertine and Skiday!!
ski holidays
Hi Will, your description sounds really appealing. I'm definitely interested. I just posted some info about myself if you wanna have a look. Thanks, Keith

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44208
snow report
Hello Special Keith,

Off-piste is anything outside of marked runs, so varies from next to a piste, to off the back-side of a mountain. Guided groups are fairly cheap, about €80 to join a group of 7 or 8, and there are also 'itinerary routes' in some resorts, eg. Chamonix and Alpe D'Huez, which are marked but not groomed or patrolled.
Are you in London permanently, or just a year or so?
There are possibilities for a trip in mid-march...
Send me a private message if you are interested and we'll discuss in more detail.
If you can't send a private message, post back on this forum and I'll post my email address...

Will.
snow report
williamgray, please contact me re your Marker Baron bindings - I've emailed & PM you to no avail!
latest report
Any chance you'll be headed to Chamonix in late Feb/ early March 2011? I'm working on a trip there but unfortunately all my ski buddies are in Val D'Isere through April or are in the Rockies so I'm going solo at the moment. I'm an advanced skiier but I've only skiied in Europe several times (I'm a 21 year old american studying at Edinburgh Uni) and it would be irresponsible of me to try to ski the Vallee Blanche solo obviously so I'm trying to find someone to ski with... I'm trying to get a trip to Chamonix before heading to Val d'Isere for April but I'm up for other resorts if that suits you better. I can pay for petrol for your Land Rover and I'll buy you a couple beers if we score some powder!

Cheers.
latest report
lambeauleap,

Fair enough for searching the forum, but this was posted years ago, the OP could be a fossilised piece of ice at the bottom of a Couloir by now (judging by his superhero attributes).
ski holidays
jlaw wrote:
hey im heading on my own to chamonix for 2 weeks hopefully to do vallee blanche if there is enough snow!!

Hey- I saw your post about Chamonix. I'm hoping to make a trip in January or Feb but I'm flying solo bc all my ski buddies are in Val d'Isere or in the Rockies. Any chance we could ski together? I'm a fairly advanced skiier...21 years old..just let me know
ski holidays
Hey williamgray, just finihed reading your post and i'm very interested in joining you for any or all of your trips. I am 30 years old, from Manchester, would consider myself an intermediate skiier (although i like to be pushed that bit harder) and i`m currently on a year out before returning to Uni in September to study Outdoor Adventure. I hope to achieve my Widerness First Responder, and MLTB qualifications aswell as others whilst studying. I thrive off adventure and the opportunity to explore unchartered territory excites me. PM me some more details please .... my email adress is Edge.Khalid@Gmail.com

Az
snow report
Um chaps, what Leeds_Skier, is trying to point out is that this thread is 2 years old. . . there's a reasonable chance that williamgray, doesn't have exactly the same plans this season . . .
ski holidays
oh, cheers.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy