Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription inserts for goggles etc

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, I'm an optometrist in North Wales, I am fairly myopic (short sighted) and use prescription inserts in my goggles.
I also have a pair of clear (non-tinted) ski goggles which are excellent for night use in the mountains ( I often go up Snowdon after work when I'm working in Bangor.)
Happy to try and answer general queries about this sort of thing.
To kick off - some terminology

Short sighted = myopic = distant objects blurred, close objects clearer. Tends to get worse during teens / early twenties, then stay the same or gets better in later life.

Long sighted = hyperopic = close objects blurred, distant objects clearer. Tends to get worse as we get older but typically stabilises when we're about 70.

Astigmatic - more myopic or hyperopic in one meridian than at 90 degrees to that meridian. eg more shortsighted in the vertical meridian than in the horizontal. A section through the front of the eye is more like a section through a rugby ball than a football. Not to be confused with strabismus which is a squint ie one eye looking in a different direction to the other.

You can tell if you're astigmatic by looking at your glasses prescription.
If there are 3 numbers it is an astigmatic prescription.
Just one is short or long sighted.
Most people have a bit of astigmatism.

Examples
Prescription 1 is pure short sighted 1. RE -3.25 LE -2.75
Prescription 2 is pure long sighted 2. RE +2.25 LE +2.75
Prescription 3 is astigmatic 3. RE +1.25 / -0.75 x 90 LE +1.75 / -2.25 x 95
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi.
Just out of interest which inserts did you go for? I'm doing a lot of research online and initially wanted to buy an empty insert to put in my goggles only to realise these inserts don't fit any goggle so buying new goggles with an insert is on the cards. However I had hoped to claim my prescription as part of a 2-4-1 deal which is why I wanted an empty insert to take along to my opticians but I'm finding this info about empty inserts and any info about what size I would need particularly elusive.
Any help you can proffer would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Gerard.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd also be interested to hear about goggle inserts. In the last two years, my eyesight has grown progressively worse in that distant objects are becoming less focussed.

I don't want prescription goggle lenses as I need a new prescription each year and I use three different lenses in my goggles depending on light/weather conditions. So, the cost for three new goggle lenses each season will be prohibitive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've been looking (squinting?) at prescription goggles for years. Last week I've bought goggles (ESS V12s, actually made for the army and make you look like Ali G) which come with inserts. The inserts still cost quite a lot to be converted to your prescription - £65. In the end, I've spent about £80 for goggles (which come with 3 different coloured lenses) but I'm not sure how these would compare to prescription goggles bought off the shelf? And I'm not sure there is actually a shelf for prescription goggles - I once saw mini-goggles in Tesco Opticians but they were discontinued and never came back.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's a lot easier to wear contact lenses under normal goggles, if you can. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowyowl, Tell me about it. Can't wear contacts. Eyes too big for head, so they're dry and dusty. I'm a freak of nature
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to remember some Adidas Yodai goggles getting good reviews for inserts
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sofia, lol. What a shame.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chris_55, as goggle inserts are a different distance from the eye than spectacles how does this affect the prescription?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Huttohut, I am sure Chris_55 will respond but the prescriptions can be adjusted for vertex distance (the distance to the lens in the goggles) as opposed to standard specs.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
maccaa, yes, I was interested in how they are adjusted.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy