Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lost ski - any hope?

Poster: A snowHead
stoatsbrother, I looked at RFID when I got my cat about 3 years ago - he now has a RFID activated catflap. Being a passive RFID he has to be quite close (It actually has a light beam sensor to detect him in the tunnel, which then gows active on the RFID to save battery.

I am surprised that ski manufacturers are not bunging the tags into skis for stock/theft/rentaltracking etc.

My idea is actually passive, and has no electronics or batteries at all. Another reason I cant say what it is b4 going patent...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A friend lost a ski on an itinerary in Verbier a few years ago. A few days later he was skiing near the same spot and saw his ski stuck tail down in the snow. There are some very nice people out there Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I've used "tobby" powder ribbons for years now, they are simply a 2m length of dayglo orange ribbon that ties onto the rear binding and the rest is bundled up and stuffed up you trouser leg and simply unravels out of your trouser leg if you part co with your ski. Dirt cheap to buy or make yourself (get granny down to the haberdashery), they've saved me h Laughing ours of searching and possibly a lost ski, plenty of times I've gone a over t and got up to see a faint orange glow yards away and thought "I would never have looked there!!"
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've used powder traces and find them a right PITA. I had them Velcroed inside the snow cuff of my trousers but you still have to attach/unattach them each time you step in or out of the bindings. One managed to deploy itself in the middle of a group lesson which was not helpful!

I looked at the Loc8tors too but, since they work at 2.4GHz, the range is likely very small in snow. Also note that the transmitters can only be associated with one receiver. If the receiver breaks then all your transmitters are worthless too.

I did see some second-hand Recco kit on ebay once and thought that might be useful. If you stuck some 'reflectors' on your skis then a friendly pisteur might be able to find them again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair Pink wrote:
Skis have metal in them (steel edges and metal in the bindings). Wouldn't a bog standard metal detector find them Puzzled
I'm sure some enterprising shopkeeper in the ski resort could rent out a metal detector to ski hunters! Toofy Grin

Apparently they have some you can rent in places like Alta because this is such a problem.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
There was some discussion on snowHeads about using the Loc8tor Lite for finding lost skis. Anyone try this? Main issue seemed to be waterproofing and attaching the tags to your skis.

Looks like they have water resistant housings and a pet-collar spash proof silicone housing for the sensors on their site...
Alternatively start snowboarding Toofy Grin if THAT becomes detatched in heavy snow, simply follow the bloody trail back to your severed feet.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sherlock235,

Quote:

er, do snowboard leashes not offer any sort of help for skiers then?

That's what we had before snowbrakes. The cheap elastic ones were interesting. Then some showoff got snowbrakes and suddenly everybody wanted them.

Bindings used to have an attachment point at the back to put the leash on. Now we want a radar system cmbined with a car alarm to find them. why not just get the little beggars to transmit their GPS cooridinates and altitude ? Or better still, put little motorised tank tracks on them so they can bring themselves home, that could save on lift passes. You could make them self steering too, so you could just stand up there taking photos or posing for photos while the skis do all the work.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about a mini metaldetector that folds out to tennis racket size from a much smaller size
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the loc8tor lite is under £50 now.... looks like it would work, the test in the video is locating from a good distance away

http://youtube.com/v/1PRNFey9uQw
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
daehwons, very interesting - but looking at the website I am not sure how waterproof or rugged they are.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stoatsbrother wrote:
daehwons, very interesting - but looking at the website I am not sure how waterproof or rugged they are.

in the old posts about the loc8tor there is a link to some using it in model planes and they made the tags waterproof.... you can also get a waterproof cover for the tags, not sure how rugged they are going to be but im sure that some foam tape will hold it on
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One thing that has just occurred to me is does anyone actually put on ID on their ski's. I am guessing if a ski or ski's are ever recovered after being lost or stolen then there is no way of returning it the owner because there is no ID.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My son lost a ski last year off piste, we managed to dig it out 2 days later after 50 cm of fresh snow. Try looking 2-3 mtrs back from where you think you lost it, also take a GPS waypoint on your phone or any gps device makes it a lot easier to get back to the exact location.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quite interested in that there loc8tor. I see in their website FAQ's:

Q- How can I make the Tags water resistant?
A- There are several ways of making the Tag water resistant and here are 2 effective methods:
1. We have 3 types of splashproof tag housings. Please see which one is most relevant to your needs by viewing our Product List.
2. Place the Tag in a small plastic bag and seal the top using a zip tie. The bag doesn't affect the range.
3. Use silicon sealant for kitchen and bathrooms and put a generous amount along the seal on the Tag and the holes by the buzzer. Click here for a Video example from a customer.

No. 1 seems the way togo and these are the 3 options:

http://www.loc8tor.co.uk/Store/product/Splashproof-Tag-Cases,182,110.aspx
http://www.loc8tor.co.uk/Store/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=185&cid=110
http://www.loc8tor.co.uk/Store/catalog/productinfo.aspx?id=186&cid=110

The first of which would seem to do the job if well taped up.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The other thing to think about is if you go for the more expensive model you can tell if a tag is going out of a certain range - great for food and beer stops

Quote:
Alert mode enables an invisible safety zone to be set around each child, pet or asset. As soon as they leave your preset area Loc8tor immediately informs you.
snow report
loc8tor site says they work on 2.45GHz band - which will be absorbed by the snow Sad
snow conditions
I wonder if they will interfere with avvy transceiver function. Different wave length - but we are meant to turn mobile phones off - and so are they
latest report
On a slightly different note - my other half had one ski stolen a few year's back - yes one. We were in a bar in Val Thorens at apres ski and he'd brought one ski in and left the other outside thinking no one would still a single ski... but someone clearly thought it would be funny to nab it. Anyhow, my point was that although he was not reunited with his stolen ski, he did end up with a pair again in the end by writing to the manufacturer (volkl) explaining his predicament and they sent him a replacement of correct size and model for free!
latest report
.Ro,

Quote:
loc8tor site says they work on 2.45GHz band - which will be absorbed by the snow

That's interesting. How much will it affect it. They say the maximum range is 183 metres. Obviously there will be no other obstacles besides the snow. So any idea what would the range be if say it was underneath a metre or two of snow?
snow conditions
Ever get the impression that no one reads your posts?

Try this:
http://www.wildsnow.com/2693/avalanche-beacons-dogs-skiing/

Quote:
A fellow ski patroller and avy instructor bought the Loc8ator out of curiosity. No directional indicators, but impressive signal separation (which points out just how easy marking/flagging could be if a new beacon spec were developed). Unfortunately, the frequency won’t work well under snow.

I get the impression you're gonna need to be fairly close for it to work.
snow conditions
stoatsbrother, inteference occurs between electronic equipment even if they have differing operational frequencies.
All electronic items radiate and are suseptible to a wide renge of the electromagnetic spectrum, the aim of a design is to minimise unintended frequencies. The field is EMC=electromagnetic compatibility and is covered by european product directives. (or EMI=electromagnetic inteference)

This is not much of a problem for 'passive' devices, but active transmitters will often leak on other frequencies, not enough to go far, but certainly in the 'near field'.

I have had equipment tested for emissions and suseptability. It is a black art.
latest report
altis,

Quote:
Ever get the impression that no one reads your posts?

Who said that...? Very Happy

Sorry, I missed that comment about the range. I'd still be interested though if it could work with say a 20 metre range. Even I don't fall that far in powder Embarassed

Interesting link aswell, and yes it does get you thinking. Clearly, I don't want someone digging up my ski's while I am buried 50 metres away. The article was talking about an ava beacon. Not withstanding lampbus comments I wonder if it is a complete no no.

Mmm... I guess if it was that simple there would be a solution by now.....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy