Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

£300 Jacket... (Salomon, NF, Peak Performance)

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for a new jacket to last a good few years. So far considering:

- Salomon Sideways
- North Face Ellsworth
- Peak Performance Cirque

Any one have any experience with these jackets? anyone wanna recommend any other jackets up to £300 to consider??

The jacket will be purely for skiing and i prefer an insulated jacket but thats only because what i've been wearing in the past. I wouldn't rule out anything else at this point!

cheers Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The sideways jaket is one of the nicest I've seen in a long time and I really want one in orange :S quality of salomon is always fantastic and I have always liked having a technical shell rather than an insulated jacket
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Second vote for the sideways - I have one in blue and it is a lovely jacket. Really solid feeling material but also light and very well made.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
how insulated is the Salomon Jacket?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The sideways jacket is a shell type with no insulation - I tend to wear a thermo baselayer and a soft-shell wicking type mid layer most of the time. When it is very cold I'll add a 100 or 200 fleece in too but it is rarely necessary.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks HenryL for the info.

Still trying to figure out whether i would rather have an insulated jacket with base layer only, or a shell type jacket with baselayer and mid layer?!? It could be an expensive experiment if i do not get on with a shell type jacket!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would say the best thing to do is to go and try a couple in a shop and see what you prefer yourself.. The shell works for me as I tend to ski a week early season, two weeks mid season and a week or two at the end.. the shell gives me the flexibility for all temperatures and conditions. Plus I only use my jacket for skiing (I pack it away for the rest of the time) but this does mean that the other layers are useable all year round.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mikee_j, [If you want a shell with one of the best hoods on the market (turns with your head and hides away into collar) look at the Mountian Equipment Changabang. Zip out snow skirt, arm lift pass pocket... and it's a mountaineering jacket designed for the harshest of conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
HenryL: couldn't agree more, going hit the shops once i get rid of this stinking cold which has kept me indoors for the last week! ?Hence all the internet researching!

At the moment i'm leaning towards the insulation type jacket, for the fact that i can wear less layers and use the jacket in the resort in the evenings. I doubt a shell jacket would keep me warm in the evenings after a few beers! Going to Ellis Brigham to try them all out, hopefully tomorrow. Never thought it would be so difficult choosing a jacket... constantly changing my mind about what colour to get!

Also, the benefit of a shell is that you can mix and match layers for the appropriate conditions. I'm a one or two week a year skier so i don't need to get so technical about my ski wear... last few years its been insulated jacket with a base layer every day, save for the glacier skiing days where i've put a thin fleece on over the top... simples.

Another jacket i'm now considering is the slightly cheaper Peak Performance Maroon jacket. Any experiences?

Anyone wanna throw some more options at me for the up to £300 range... i'm probably giving this all too much thought and i'm likely to be happy with whichever jacket i buy, but i llike to think that i've made the correct decision at the time of purchase
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mike, can't help with other jackets as I have always been a shell wearer.. I'm sure there are others that wear insulated jackets who can help though.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Had peak jacket and trousers for years. Last year bought TNF gear. Peak gear much better in my experience for similar prices. Have been using my peak gear again during the snowy weather up here.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Mike,
I like the Spyder stuff but would never pay full whack for it,also I prefer insulated and just think the shell type feels more like a raincoat than a ski jacket.There may be some offers in the sales- my wife has had a Peak jacket for the last couple of years and also wears it as an everyday coat and reckons its the dogs b****x - not to bulky but well insulated and she is quite a cold creature. She tried on loads in Slush and Rubble the other day and still prefers the Peak one.Enjoy remember the thrill is in the chase !!!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So, mikee_j, what did you go for in the end?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
went to the shops today for a look... definately not going for a shell jacket, just feels too thin and too much like a thin waterproof. I need the insulation in a jacket!!

Need to wait for pay day, but proably going with the Peak Performance Maroon jacket. Really nice jacket, in fact all the PP stuff is really top quality! The north face jacket was also nice but not worth the more ££ compared to the maroon.

I also tried some cheaper brands such as Columbia and bonfire, but you really do notice the difference in quality. Always worth spending a bit more on something which will hopefully last a bit longer and no need to upgrade until wear and tear sets in!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahh. glad to hear that as it's also my thoughts. Was thinking about the PP Cirque, and the other one I'm eyeing up is this: http://www.simplypiste.com/products/Scott/MohaveJacket-RacerBlue.aspx#info - solely as it then gives me (after a 20% discount code - XMAS25 for you fact facns) the chance to buy a helmet too for the same $$$ as the Sideways.

For those interested, EB have a 10% discount code knocking about too. I'll see if I can find it.

Out of interest - has anyone ever seen/tried or have any opinions on that Scott jacket? I like the thin insulation of the Cirque jacket and am wary of going much thicker than it.
snow report
actually - and I'm wary of saying this as I've only been posting for a couple of days and still in the single figures - but maybe have a sticky for discount codes and suchlike?
snow report
rubberbullet, there's a bargains thread in the piste somewhere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy