Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling Sella Ronda Fans!!! - Season 2010-11

Poster: A snowHead
rg1, Yes the Laguzuoi should have been scary but strangely felt OK, although again packed. This was a photo I took in 2008 when I got to the top.

snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dave_A wrote:
We'll be in Arraba tomorrow Smile
Looks like you'll have good conditions with plenty of fresh snow there now. Enjoy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w wrote:
Quote:

require you to pole quite a bit.

Would a boarder, in his comfortable boots, carrying his board, really be at a big disadvantage compared to a poling skier?

Unless it's actually uphill, a poling skier is still way faster than walking. More over, by not having to step out of the binding, a skier is still able to take advantage of any minor down and cruise up the next false flat.

I'm talking about strictly poling here. If the skier is half way decent at skating, the advantage is substantial. Or the wait for the boarder tediously long. Granted, a true friend would at least lent him one pole (or tow them along if there're two of them).
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
abc, It is not the done thing for a skier to help a boarder out! Especially if the boarder is an "friend" ! wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't know what it's like now, but 3 weeks ago there were quite a few small rocks & stones in the ice of the track at the bottom end of sottoguda gorge as a couple of nice gouges in my skis will testify. Could be a good day to rent some that you're interested in tryIng !! Well worth the trip though.
If anyone interested I have the name of a local guide that takes people ice climbing on the frozen waterfalls there, not done it myself but have had it strongly recommended by some who have. Pm me if interested for contact details.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi All

Going out to Canazei on the 19th March for my 2nd trip this season to the Dolomites. I was in Selva at Xmas and had a great time in what would be best described as variable conditions,fog,rain,snow,sun,hopefully will get more sun in March!!!

I would like to take in the WW1 tour this time and thanks to the excellent posts as always on Snowheads,I can see that it looks like a great tour and day out. However when I looked at the bus links it shows times for the buses up to the 20th March.

Does anybody know if the link buses run after this date? Do they revert to a summer timetable or just stop?

Thanks

Johnmac Puzzled
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, it has only taken a month, but I promised to add some pictures of the Sottoguda Gorge. Not done this before, so here goes...

And a couple of others just because it was such a beautiful day:

View of Saasolungha and Sella from Marmolada:

Top of Hidden Valley:

Above Corvara:

Sorry, could not work out how to make them more than thumbnails...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seldom Seen Kid, - excellent post
Quote:
Talking of piste maps - check out the new 3D map on the dolomitisuperski site. you have to download a small viewer app but the application is absolutely brilliant. it allows you to zoom, rotate, pan, gives a real 3D feeling and covers the all of the dolomiti superski regions.

This is absolutely superb - high-res aerial photograpy rendered into a 3D map - I've been using it to plan the alternative couloir route from the top of Piz Boe into the Val de Mesdi Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi everyone
In an attempt to get a good deal with free child places etc I am already looking at next year's ski break - I think Canazei looks lovely and but am wondering if it has any easily accessible 'easy' blues that are suitable for my 7 year old (3rd weeker) son? Reason being that this year we are hoping to do ski school in the morning and then ski as a family in the afternoon. My husband is a good boarder who always hopelessly overestimates my skiing ability, so I am nervous about taking my son out to places that I will struggle to get him (and me!) safely back from! Basically I guess I'm looking for some nice cruisy blues for us to mess around on in the afternoons, not too far from the village. Would Canazei fit this bill?
Any info. much appreciated!
Katy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Katy123, I've not been to Canazei and only skiied above it on the way to Selva so can't comment but Corvara definitely has lots of cruisy blues. The only problem is that non of the big Tour Operators go there whereas I believe a few of them do holidays to Canazei (Val di Fassa valley) but if you can arrange own flights and accommodation, I think you would love Corvara (Alta Badia valley). I think it's also more convenient for trips e.g. Hidden Valley, Cinque Torri etc.

Some people on here have stayed in Canazei, so I'd expect there will be some responses that will help you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickH, Did you have a nice time in Arabba and Ellmau(?) afterwards ? Did you meet up with Sueski?

I'm heading out on Saturday and it looks like they've had a reasonable amount of snow.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Katy123, I know, if you look at the piste map, all the runs above Canazei are graded red, but take it from me that they are not very difficult. Indeed, they are covered with beginner groups and often the biggest problem is picking your way round them!

From Canazei you can get the frequent buses both to Campitello, which gives you routes to Selva that are gentle or, even better to the little gem that is Alba. Here, there is a delightful sunny bowl with a variety of pleasant blue runs, as well as the chance to ski over to Pozza. I think the area would suit you well. Italian grading is always quite conservative. I would not go as far as saying that Italian reds are like French blues, but the grooming and snow quality mean that you can often tackle "steep" graded runs with confidence.

Another point about Canazei, which might be important given your requirements, is that most people take the godola (very fast and efficient) back to the town. There is a red run down, but most people download with the gondola. All this means that you have access to a wide and gentle sunny slope with good snow that you can get to both ways by gondola. How does that sound?

snowHead
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Katy123, Much more info on this thread, as well as a lovely picture of the area I am talking about:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1628707&highlight=calling+sella+ronda#1628707

snowHead
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
geoffers wrote:
Seldom Seen Kid, - excellent post
Quote:
Talking of piste maps - check out the new 3D map on the dolomitisuperski site. you have to download a small viewer app but the application is absolutely brilliant. it allows you to zoom, rotate, pan, gives a real 3D feeling and covers the all of the dolomiti superski regions.

This is absolutely superb - high-res aerial photograpy rendered into a 3D map - I've been using it to plan the alternative couloir route from the top of Piz Boe into the Val de Mesdi Very Happy

Yes it is a brilliant app but mine regularly stops working for some reason. I then have to shut it down and restart it
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Although not strictly on the Sella Ronda circuit, I have just posted a trip report to the Alpe Di Siusi in the reports section of the forum.
ski holidays
jimmybog wrote:
Yes it is a brilliant app but mine regularly stops working for some reason. I then have to shut it down and restart it

Me too. Annoying, isn't it?
latest report
Well, I can't get it to work at all on any of the computers in the house.

It nearly works on one, but fails to initialize or something.

snowHead
ski holidays
Quote:

Well, I can't get it to work at all on any of the computers in the house.

ooer Puzzled works fine for me:- luckily I have just upgraded my PC, so suspect it could be down to processor/graphics/memory capabilities, as 3D rendering like that is presumably going to require a bit of grunt

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 23-02-11 19:23; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
fails to initialize or something snowHead

We have tons of computer geeks on here who could help but I think you need to give them a bit more nerdy/techy info. (I take you've turned it off and turned it back on again? Madeye-Smiley )
snow report
Hi pokemon, yes had a fantastic time thanks -the snow was overall really good despite the warming temps. I've seen. that they've had more snow since so it should be fantastic conditions for you to.
Despite her being run ragged did manage to ski with sueski a couple of times ( including the marmalada ) and even though she was skiing slowly by her normal standards was still left with burning thighs after each run ! ! Also had a day in cortina with Annabella ( who is looking after business for sueski this season ) which I'd not skied before & thoroughly enjoyed.
Have a great trip & please say a big hi for me !
snow report
Chris Bash - Thanks for your info. and reassurance re the gondola home! We've decided to book Canazie as it does sound like it will offer something to suit us all i.e. not too scary for me but enough variety to stop my husband getting bored! I'm fairly sure my son will be out-skiing me by the end of the next week as well - he was fast catching up last year I notice from the other thread that someone said that the Sella ronda circuit should be do-abe for most people out of ski school so I am hoping that I will be able to cope - I'm ok on reds as long as they are not too narrow! Very Happy
ski holidays
Katy123 wrote:
Chris Bash

That's really funny Laughing
snow report
We usually travel with a TO, can anyone give any pointers of any good/reasonably priced operators who head out to Sella Ronda resorts? who may not be the usual suspects (Crystal, Neison, Inghams etc..)?

I've found a reasonable deal from Crystal, on their Plus offering.
ski holidays
hammerite, Simply Dolomiti, Colletts, Ski Total and Mountainsun Ltd may be good alternatives. I can recommend Simply Dolomiti based on personal experience but I think all these companies have good feedback.
snow conditions
Embarassed
Note to self - preview posts!
ski holidays
Thanks pokemon,
latest report
Due to arrive in Pedraces with Colletts this Sunday, I see that there is some snow forcast for Monday so conditions should be ok
latest report
Before I start reading through 100s of posts one question (yes I admit, I'm lazy, so sorry for that Smile). Normally when I'm around Val Gardena/Alta Badia, I don't have much time for skiing (sliding down the WC course doesn't really count as skiing), so I have no idea about this area. Now, after being away from home for most of season, I got ultimate from my wife, so we are obviously heading to Alta Badia for few days of skiing Laughing And here comes my question. Is it possible to ski whole Sella Ronda? And with "possible to ski" I mean exactly that. Just skiing like going up with lift, skiing down to next lift etc., without meter of walking, pushing or even taking bus. Smile Thanks for info, and again, sorry for being lazy and not finding this info between 100s of posts here Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. It links very well. Modern lifts too. I think you will love it. Not demanding, but very scenic.

snowHead
ski holidays
primoz, No there is about 150 metres of walking in Arraba clockwise and anti-clock wise and about the same in Selva including a flight of steps going clockwise. No buses or drag lifts.
latest report
Ok thanks for info Smile Will see how it will be, but might just do that one day Smile
ski holidays
riverman, Fair point. The walk through Arabba is not all that bad and mostly downhill if going green way round. The Selva bit is just across the road, as I recall.

snowHead
latest report
Squeak!!! (That was me, not the snow) 15 sleeps.....
snow report
Eeyore, 16. We are going on the Sunday aren't we?

snowHead
snow conditions
15 some of us are having the extra nights luxury of a airport hotel Laughing
latest report
Just had a minor panic that I had booked a flight on the wrong day!

Might we be there in time on the Sunday for a small slide?

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish wrote:
Might we be there in time on the Sunday for a small slide?

I have no idea Puzzled . Still waiting for info on the transfer. Are you going to Marco Polo?
latest report
There does seem to be a very loud radio silence from Moutainsun at the moment. We are flying Liverpool to Innsbruck. The flight is early and, in theory, the transfer short, so you never know.

Looks dreadful there today:

http://www.altabadia.org/it-IT/webcam_dolomiti_alta_badia.html

snowHead
ski holidays
Chris Bish, I hope it improves by time I arrive tomorrow!
snow report
Chris Bish wrote:
There does seem to be a very loud radio silence from Moutainsun at the moment. We are flying Liverpool to Innsbruck. The flight is early and, in theory, the transfer short, so you never know.

snowHead

Chris, You normally hear the week before about transfers. I was wondering about a few runs on the Sunday we arrive as it isnt as though we have to walk far to the lift is it? Laughing
I dont know about an afternoon lift pass perhaps you could research that one for us and the price?

Maggi,
We are going into Innsbruch and have an earlier flight so we will see you in the chalet Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy