Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles - Please Help!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
I have siad in a post before, i am a school teacher going on a skiing trip.

I have been looking at goggles today, and have seen a few brands.

Most have anti-fog, double lenses and UV protection.

I have seen Sinner, Snow Pro in TKmaxx and Bloc in Cotswolds which are a little more expensive than the other 2 in TKmaxx.

Can anyone recommend one of the above brands please?

Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Locky12, which ones fit your face?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Locky12, As it happens I've been looking in similar places for a 2nd, low light pair, for my daughter, she already has some good ones for bright days. They are all lower price brands, Sno Pro more so than Sinner or Bloc. Other things to consider are will they fit with your helmet if you are wearing one and do you want ones for bright days, low light days or ones that are adequate for all conditions?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
Most fit my face. I think i am looking for a general allrounder, and will buy sunglasses for very sunny days.
Any more replies, would be great.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Locky12, in that case I can't help as I'm not familiar with the brands. What Colin B says is worth considering - what colour lens does each pair have? it sounds like you want lens that will let in plenty of light so if any of them have yellow lens then that would work as would a pink sort of tint; you won't want the lens to be too dark (more for bright light).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There weren't many CAT1 lenses (for lowest light) in TKMaxx or Cotswold, plenty of CAT2 though which may be OK.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yellow or orange lens is what you want. If it's bright enough to want anything darker, you can use sunglasses. Or just do as I do, and carry on with the orange goggles.

I bought a pair of Oakleys, thinking they'd be an upgrade from my £15 Bloc goggles. I just sold them today, and will be going back to Bloc. Brand is not important (within reason) fit is what matters.

Of the brands mentioned, I'd be fine with Sinner or Bloc. I've never heard of Snow Pro, so wouldn't buy them if they were about the same price as the others - there is something to be said for quality of lenses, but not much really when you are buying £20 goggles.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's not how they fit your face, it's how they fit your helmet.

I have had Bloc and others over years but they all had limitations, mostly they all misted when you got a bit physical and then when I bought a helmet they just didn't fit right.

I now have Crowbars and 3 different lenses. They never mist and fit perfectly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I wear oakleys with an orange lens, i swear by them will never buy another pair of goggles again (unless i sit on them... again)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker wrote:

I have had Bloc and others over years but they all had limitations, mostly they all misted when you got a bit physical and then when I bought a helmet they just didn't fit right.

I now have Crowbars and 3 different lenses. They never mist and fit perfectly.

My experience of Oakleys and Bloc is the exact opposite. I suspect the reason the Oakleys misted so much was the fit with the helmet - they couldn't vent properly because the vents blocked by the helmet, it was ok when hammering it, but sitting on a chair or physical extertion at low speed and the mist was back, between the lenses. Clearly you have a different helmet/head to me, but it demonstrates that the quality of the goggles is pretty pointless if they don't fit.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

they couldn't vent properly because the vents blocked by the helmet

was that because you were striving not to be a "gaper" (although that should of course be spelled "gapper" if I understand the intended meaning of the term correctly) Puzzled
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker wrote:

partly agree, but of about 20 different styles I tried (all of which fitted my helmet) only Oakley A frame fitted my face in that they were sufficiently snug around my nose to stop them misting up. with some brands there was a big enough gap at each side to put my fingers through
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I use Bolle Coral Snakes with gold lens..........cant fault them, also have second pair with a silver lens

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 25-12-10 12:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use Spy most days and Scott with an 'Amplifier' lens for low light days.
As others have said though, brand had nothing much to do with the choice - I tried a few for fit with and without helmet and these were best.
They've both proved very durable.

(Mrs Higs has two Bolle pairs and would say the same thing (except she doesn't wear a helmet).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i use smith phenoms.

imo fit is important. they need to be comfortable as you can be wearing them for several hours at a time & if you have to keep moving of lifting them off your face they'll be more likely to mist up.
if there are gaps between face & goggles this can cause fogging.
also, as others have said, they need to fit your helmet.

i find that the one's with a bigger space between the lens & your face fog a bit less.

it does depend on the snow conditions mainly though - if it's super dry & sunny even the cheapo goggles may be fine - it's when it's damp or even raining that the anti fog properties are really put to the test & the decent ones show there worth.
snow conditions
I had Bolles before I wore a helmet. They must have improved as mine were utter rubbish.

A small gap between helmet and goggles is essential to let the venting air escape from the goggles, hence my recommendation on taking your helmet when trying them on.

I've never had mist between the lenses but you could remove this by drying them for a few hours over a warm (not hot) heat source such as a radiator with a (dry) sock below the lens. I'm told Oakley will change lenses that have had a seal fail between the panes.

Until you have been caught in heavy snow and low cloud, you will never appreciate how important good goggles are.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy