Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Megeve recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Off to Megeve for a week during February. Has anyone got any recommendations for decent restaurants on/off the mountain? I know the place isn't exactly cheap and cheerful but any tips towards the more reasonable end of the spectrum would be much appreciated. We're treating ourself to supper one evening at the Flocon de Sel so that should put a pretty chunky hole in our budget.

Also any tips on best ski spots would be useful too - both piste and off-piste.

Thanks!

Tom
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Auberge de Bonjournal. Top of the Christomet lift (on the Jaillet side of Megeve).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tommy4681, The one at the Altiport seemed reasonable. I was only comparing coffee prices but friends ate there and felt it was good value.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's cheaper if you go up to the St Gervais side (better skiing too!). There's quite a nice place at the top of the gondola from St Gervais,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The picnic huts (I forget what they are called) are reasonably priced (cheaper) if you just want to have some chips or a soup, etc. I think there's one at the top of the Freddy lift. For something more fancy the L'Alpage de Pré Rosset restaurant (at pre rosset) is one of my favourite stops.

Favourite runs are:

Mont d'arbois side

the red from l'Epaule down to the Vanay
for straight line speed try the red under the mont d'arbois lift.

Rochebrune side

black down from cote 2000 (if there's fresh snow there'll be powder up there too between the runs (not very extreme).
reds down to petite fontaine

I'd also recommend going to Jaillet early in the week to see if you like it. Much quieter, some lovely tree lined cruisy blues and if there's fresh snow it doesn't get tracked out as much and plenty of between run opportunities to have a play.

Enjoy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mont d'Arbois sector

Cheap and cheerful restaurant: Le Rosay, near the bottom of the Mont Joux chair.

Good piste: From the Epaule lift on Mt Joly down to St Nicholas is a nice long run - starting off quite exposed and ending up tree-lined. It's never crowded.

Good off-piste: Almost anywhere off the Mt Joly chair or turning right off the Epaule chair and traversing to wherever you want to start the descent. Steep, deep after fresh snow and/or mogulled. In flat light, watch out for the zig-zag piste crossing the fall line - or you will go splat on it. Not that I've ever done that. Of course. Embarassed

Rochebrune sector

Cheap and cheerful restaurant: Le Radaz. Near the bottom of the WC downhill run on Côte 2000 ("Descente" on the piste plan). Omelette to die for, and no chips. Not accessible for beginners.

Good piste: WC run from Côte 2000 chair. Variants thereof pretty good too. But straight-lining the end of the WC run has to be done (nice run out). Also, any of the variants under the "crossed chairs" for carving.

Good off-piste: turn left at top of Côte 2000; the area between Marmotte and Chamois. Beware, Marmotte is the most avalanche-prone area in Megève.

Jaillet sector

Cheap and cheerful restaurant: I don't know the Auberge de Bonjournal - probably because I never get past the Auberge de Christommet at the bottom of the lift of the same name. That is not cheap, but definitely cheerful.

Good piste: Any of the long runs from Jaillet down to Combloux.

Good off-piste: Under the Christommet chair (avoiding the cliff, obviously Skullie)

Village

The Brasserie Centrale is the cheap and cheerful place. Not cheap, but very good, restaurants are too numerous to mention and the Flocon de Sel is as good as any.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 24-12-10 13:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, guys. All really useful.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about pubs and bars? Any suggestions. We are stayibn about half way between Rochebrune and the village
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My favourite for a snack and vin chaud is the Creperie at the base of the Chamois lifts, can't remember the name of it, but it is decorated with a collection of teapots!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
What no mention of the vastly over priced Folle Douce!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Tommy4681,
My top tip for lunch would be to eat on the St Gervais side of the area - substantially (30-40%) cheaper for equivalent quality. Particularly recommend The Hotel Fleche D'Or at Bettex, good pizza place at Communialles (across the road from the lift), nice chalet 100m skiers left of Marmire piste (Mont Rosset chair) - ski in ski out but not strictly on piste.

Overall I think the skiing on Mont Arbois is the best in the linked area (ignoring Les C) - the runs to Princess (and the woods, meadows between them) are particularly nice. The Crois du Christ area is also good and the runs to St Nicolas are very pleasant and usually quiet.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy