Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Brenta Dolomites & Val di Sole (snow report)

Poster: A snowHead
From East to West (sort of)
Pejo, Ossana, Pellizano, Marilleva, Madonna di Campiglio, Folgarida, Monte Bondone, etc, etc

Ciao snowHead 's

I’ll try and do these at least once a week, but if my PC Anywhere packs in it may be slight more irregular.

The conditions are, depending on your point of view either terrible or brilliant, ie, BIG snow falling.

With the heavy snow that fell over the past week or or so, there is a total coverage of all slopes in the area. Not all are open yet but this is due to the lifties not being able to finish the summer maintenance programme on time. But I’ve been told that everything will be open be this weekend (Christmas).

After just a couple of days of perfect (ski brochure) weather – sun shine and powder – the snow is again falling right across the Brenda Dolomites and, slightly (10km) to the east of here, the Ortles-Cevedale mountain chain has had some of the heaviest pre-Christmas falls in memory (well in the memory of my mate Valter anyway).

The forecast is for heavy snow to continue up to and over Christmas so if you’re DIYing then check, check and check again those snow chains really are in the boot of the car. Anyone arriving with a UK based TO you’ll be fine, as all the Italian coaches that are used for airport transfers now have snow tyres on.
If you’re a school group arriving on a UK coach - in nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti good luck

Technical bit
(which is based on the snow here in Folgarida so it's about the same across the region)
50cm In town
1m the Mid-station
1.5m at 2,000m
Last snow fell - Now Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks - Finally a thread to follow for my trip to Madonna Di Campiglio 3 weeks on Saturday. Sounds like good news all the way so far... snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ishay, I'm off to Canazei on 2nd Jan so I shall be following this too. Thanks Wayne.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Indeed, thanks Wayne - shaping up very nicely snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The last big snow fell last week on the 28th Dec – regardless of what you may read on some other sites that mention today, the few specks of snow that fell for about 5 mins this morning would only be described as “snow-fall” if it happened in the UK (or on the SCGB snow reports).

Anyway wink
All the lift are now up and running and there is shed loads of snow to be had virtually everywhere round here. Of course, being that it hasn’t snowed for a few days, the main runs back to the resorts do get little icy at the end of the day but nothing to worry about.

Not really sure what the snow depths are as in this area as you can ski from 3,000m to 800m, so there are many different conditions.

Generally though all the resorts in the Val Di Sole have excellent coverage at the moment, with even some untracked pow still to be had in places. The sun is shining and the skiing is good.

Next snow fall due on Thursday – will let ya know.

Forecast for round here
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The expected snow arrived yesterday (06/01/11) around lunch time and it’s still snowing across the region 24 hours later, although only slightly now. Last night across the region we had around 20mm at 1,000m – 25mm at 2,000m and less (accumulation) at 3,000 due to the wind blowing away the quite significant snowfall.

BUT, it’s warmed up so the snow is falling as rain below around 1,500m. Not very hard but enough to slush up the pistes a little. This is mainly affecting the runs back to the resorts so the actually pistes are fine, if a little warm for the time of year.

Of course it’s cloudy above 1,500m in most resorts but not really a white out as the viz is still about 200m, so not too bad.

Amazing to think that during the day it was -18 on Monday at 1,500m and now it’s +1.

All in all still plenty of snow around and no pistes are closed in the Brenta Dolomites. The cold is due to return early next week (Mon) and the next significant snowfall is forecast for next Tuesday
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wayne, would you say that the best snow conditions may lie over towards/around Madonna at the moment?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It’s been raining in most of the resorts for the last few days with temperature hovering around 0 to +3 – the benefit of this is that the ice and snow is mainly gone from the town centres in the region.

The rain has been falling as snow above 1,500m (virtually all pistes) so the conditions are really good with plenty of powder to be had all over. Given that the main Italian holidays finished last weekend, you now have uncrowded pistes and powder. All we need now it for the cloud/fog to lift and the conditions would be prefect.

I just went up to the mid station (1,600m) with the clients who arrived yesterday and the cafes are busy clearing the snow off the terraces – always a good sign – and the snow conditions are really good if a little warm for this time of year (-2) and it’s still snowing.

Anyone heading out to any of the resorts in the Brenta Dolomites in the next few weeks will have no problems with lack of snow.

Day off today so going down to the supermarket in Cles…. my god this really is a glamorous life.

Chasseur,
I was over in Maddona yesterday. It was still snowing in the afternoon and there is now loads of fresh stuff. Apeart from the cloud/fog the condidtions are fine. If you go up into the col (at the top of the main cable car then come down the right (looiking down) on the other side of the board park you'll find some brill deep pow - great fun.
The town is looking a bit sad with no snow laying around but the pistes are fine.
Send me a PM with your moby number if you like and we'll meet up for a whizz.
There are a few snowHead's here at the mo and am starting create a Brenta/snowHead photo collection for posting during the summer (when we're all feeling sad due to a lack of snow
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Wayne, thanks, I'd enjoy that snowHead PM on its way.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The fog lifted last Wednesday and it’s been ski brochure weather since then.

Unseasonably warm but no worries.

The cold is returning and the snow is forecast to return this Thursday over the entire region.

Will keep you posted
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just back from Andalo where - as Wayne mentioned - Monday and Tuesday were foggy, but there was snow on the mountain (Paganella) after which it was wall-to-wall sunshine, though no new snow. on Monday, Paganella summit was closed due to fog and winds, but re-opened again on Tuesday. Closed also Sat morning due to strong winds. Temperature was a bit high in the town to begin with, but with clear skies the frosts had appeared overnight on Thu, Fri, Sat. The lower pistes in Andalo were getting a bit icy, so the best place to ski was higher up the mountain, towards Sant'Antonio.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I was up in the Grosste col (2500m+) this morning and it was bloody freezing.

The snow that was forecast all week long never came - unless you count the few fluttering bits that fell yester afternoon.

The temp has gone back to Jan norm (in other words Brrrrrrrr -5 at 1000m, -10 at 2,000m and about -15 at 2,500m).

So , cold and cloudy at the mo.

Some runs getting a bit icy lower down and the some higher up have had the top powder blown off - all in all not brill but still OK

BUT - 1st time this year - snow blowers are going Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can testify to Wayne's report on the temps here in Folgarida.....he's sitting next to me in the bar! Slopes holding up superbly following some very spring like weather. 4 days of clear blue skies and some outstanding skiing conditions. -7 today and a tad icy in places. Time for another beer apres stylie in the warm......last day tomorrow Sad (via SMS)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A tad on the cold side today. Poss -20 up top over in Madonna with the wind chill. Rarely get cold feet, but did today. A perfect excuse to go to Marilleva and the Refugio Orti, where a log fire and vin brulle awaited along with the best goulash soup quite probably on the planet. As for the skiing, the unswept pistes were in top nick. So some quite outstanding skiing available in much of the area. No brown patches anywhere. The Nera black into Folgarida does have a piste wide 50m pure ice section which was interesting. Other than that, expect some superb skiing if you're out here next week. Happy hour at Eta Beta beckons......large beer and a Williams to sign off the week with B-) =D (via SMS)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
No snow is forecast for today or tomorrow.

But Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

it’s snowing everywhere in the region above 1,500m which is virtually all pistes, other than the lower end of Pinzolo – so much for the forecast Confused

Even though it’s not snowed around here for the past 13 days, the piste were still in good condition with a deep cover and, with the fresh snow that’s falling now, the pistes are again in fine whizzing condition.
ski holidays
The basics
The snow that we have in this region mainly fell during the Christmas / New Year period when we had over 2.5m in a week, and, even though it has snowed on and off since then there has been nothing significant.

But
It’s not all doom and gloom. Due to the almost fanatical devotion the lifties have to bashing the entire area every night the piste are holding up well. There is still between 1 and 2.5m of snow on most upper pistes and even the lower runs are still in good shape. The blowers that were switched on late last month have not been used since. Then.

The rumours.
As always there are various rumours flying around as to when the next big dump is due – but who the hell knows. The Italian Met Office says that it will start to get colder early next week and the snow should return after that. But I’m not holding my breath. When there’s a big dump I’ll tell ya.

Result.
I have taken one layer out of my normal teaching gear and that’s about it. The pistes are fine. The sun is shining. The Germans are dancing on the tables. The Italians are skiing with the feet together. The English are complaining about the weather.
All in all it’s about normal (if a bit warm for the time of year).
latest report
IT'S SNOWING THICK AND FAST Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

The snow started falling across the entire region yesterday at 1pm and it's still falling thick and heavy now (6:30pm the following day). It’s forecast to continue until at least tomorrow lunch time.

New snow on top of the stuff already laying
2,000m = 40cm
2,500m = 45cm
This is taken from the highly accurate system of me looking the amount of new snow on the cafe tables (as no one is sitting outside at the mo) - can't think of anything better wink

We have had some snow in the last few weeks but this is the first major dump since Christmas.

Looking to make some fresh tracks. It's easy, just wait half and hour and any track will be filled in and so you get the pleasure of bagging the line.

So, it's looking fine and dandy all over the brenta dolomites with fresh powder everywhere all the way down to the resorts. In fact it snowing down in the valley (500m) as just been down to the supermarket (snowchains needed above 1,000m)
snow report
What can I say. After the recent huge dump there is still shed loads of powder over the entire brenta dolomites. Of course the normal areas are now all tracked but (if you know where to look) there is still thigh deep pow to be had in many places.

The entire region now has some of the best conditions of the winter.

Was on a day off yesterday and out with a mate of mine (photographer)
They say a picture speaks a thousand words so ......

I love this job Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Sun 27th Feb

Following today’s heavy snowfall (which hasn't yet stopped) right across the region the slopes should be sporting tomorrow Toofy Grin

The roads are passable with care although snow chains are a MUST on the higher stretches and even in some of the towns if you don't want to be sliding all over the place.

I was over in M Bondone today and the snow was dumping shed loads; 15cm new powder at 1,500m and 25cm at 2,500m. Back here in Folgarida, the town square was shut for a while for the ploughs to do their work but it's open now although chains are still needed if you want to nip over the pass to Madonna with us later this evening – we’re off for a posh meal.

So, powder day tomorrow for the whole area.
ski holidays
There is a major dump going on all over the region. Powder everywhere all the way down to the villages.

What else can I say....
snow report
Amazing to think that during the day it was -18 on Monday at 1,500m and now it’s +1. It's very cool ...
ski holidays
Welcome to snowHeads, Sheldon snowHead
latest report
Wayne wrote:
There is a major dump going on all over the region. Powder everywhere all the way down to the villages.

What else can I say....

Wayne, thanks for all the posts, sounds amazing there. We are planning on coming out to ski in the area March 19th, nothing booked yet and never skiied in the Dolomites - wondered if you could suggest a good centre to stay in where I can access a range of areas? We've got 6 days so would like to spend a couple of days skiing in each place maybe. I'm doing some research online but any tips for the best places to get to would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Mark
snow report
markweglarski wrote:
I'm doing some research online but any tips for the best places to get to would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Mark

Hi

Your best bet would be to stay in somewhere like Madonna - you'll need a car. Then you can ski the local areas around here - Madonn, Folgarida, Pinzolo, etc and use the car to get the other areas. The links by car are very simple. Just go down the valley floor and turn left, all the other resorts are that way.

I know a few hotel owners in Madonna and lots here in Folgarida, mind you if you're in a car then Folgarida would be much cheaper to stay in and you can still drive round to the other resorts. If you send me a PM with your moby number I'll give you a call or you call me - I'll send you my italian moby number.

Taken yesterday afternoon - not good quality as taken on mobile phone - but you get the drift Toofy Grin
snow report
Wayne wrote:
markweglarski wrote:
I'm doing some research online but any tips for the best places to get to would be much appreciated.
Cheers

Mark

Hi

Your best bet would be to stay in somewhere like Madonna - you'll need a car. Then you can ski the local areas around here - Madonn, Folgarida, Pinzolo, etc and use the car to get the other areas. The links by car are very simple. Just go down the valley floor and turn left, all the other resorts are that way.

I know a few hotel owners in Madonna and lots here in Folgarida, mind you if you're in a car then Folgarida would be much cheaper to stay in and you can still drive round to the other resorts. If you send me a PM with your moby number I'll give you a call or you call me - I'll send you my italian moby number.

Taken yesterday afternoon - not good quality as taken on mobile phone - but you get the drift Toofy Grin
Brilliant, I'll do some digging and see whether Madonna or Folgarida would be best. Looks amazing, I should have taken this week off but there you go!

And I wish I got the drft! Soon enough.

Thanks Wayne.
snow report
Just back from a week in Folgarida - lots and lots of snow and the pistes were beautiful. We had the extended lift pass so spent some time over at Madonna too - skiing over/back rather than driving. We did go to Passe de Tonnale too for a day although it was near enough white out conditions - skiing on the glacier meant not seeing your legs below mid-calf.

Would definitely go back for the actual skiing although the apres ski was a little disappointing. Most fun we had was in the little hut opposite the ski school after coming down Black 5 and finding Umberto 'The Best' singing before doing the cancan with him in our ski boots (that's some workout!). The best thing about Eta Beta was probably the hypnotic lights on the dancefloor.

The Refugio Orti was fabulous too - it was a lovely surprise after coming down Black 25 (given that it was my first black) snowHead
ski holidays
Applespider wrote:
Just back from a week in Folgarida - lots and lots of snow and the pistes were beautiful. We had the extended lift pass so spent some time over at Madonna too - skiing over/back rather than driving. We did go to Passe de Tonnale too for a day although it was near enough white out conditions - skiing on the glacier meant not seeing your legs below mid-calf.

Would definitely go back for the actual skiing although the apres ski was a little disappointing. Most fun we had was in the little hut opposite the ski school after coming down Black 5 and finding Umberto 'The Best' singing before doing the cancan with him in our ski boots (that's some workout!). The best thing about Eta Beta was probably the hypnotic lights on the dancefloor.

The Refugio Orti was fabulous too - it was a lovely surprise after coming down Black 25 (given that it was my first black) snowHead
Sounds brilliant. I'm just trying to plan a trip there for the end of next week. Did you have a car with you, or did you use public transport to get to Passo? or is it possible to ski between a few of the resorts (besides Madonna)?
ski holidays
Was with a big group and tour company organised a bus over to Passo. I'm not entirely sure it was worth it although that was partly due to the weather conditions - it's a good 45 minute drive each way and it's quite spread out when you get there unless you've planned where you're going before you get there. We didn't get much skiing in. I suspect if I had my Thursday back, I'd have spent it doing the runs around Marilleva since only really got down there once properly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Applespider, good choice for your first black Cool That's quite a steep run! The Orti is certainly a welcome and very pleasant surprise. I sat on the terrace late one morning in Jan and watched a fair few people sliding down......either in front or behind their gear....
snow report
Thankfully I came down on my gear wink

It wasn't entirely intentional from my point of view but was with a small group that included an ex-ski instructor who was 'navigating' that morning. He felt that I could do a black and it was only my confidence levels that were stopping me. So... he manipulated our earlier run so that there was the option of sidestepping back up to take the red down... or attempt the black. It worked at least in terms of confidence since after our stop at the Orti, I carried on down 26 rather than take the blue.
ski holidays
markweglarski, I have merged the phone picture together to give you a better idea of the conditions

http://www.youtube.com/user/waynefolgarida#p/a/u/0/b72Uh-amkeM

Yeah I know Toofy Grin crap technique Blush but when there's a tree in front of you (you can see the branches on the right), you have the 3 G's
Grapple (with the tree - you "will" lose the flight)
Girly (do some sort of girly flounder). Note: girly is not a gender, it’s a state of mind
Go (for it and see what happens... what can go wrong rolling eyes )

I tend to favour the later Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Hi I am flying to Belgarmo italia on 2nd April with 2 daughters, to ski until 8th April, we ski most stuff blacks etc I have been reading the posts trying to pick up some ideas, and looking for cheap B&B , in Trento/Bolzano ?, would llike to ski in Cortina, if not too far, we have a hire car. can anyone recommend somewhere to stop and also to hire ski's. Dont mind where we stay I saw on recent post that Folgarida is quite cheap but looks quite a trek from there to Cortina? Any advice on where to ski that week, and names of B&B's and hire shops would be much appreciated
Many thanks
snow report
Dnh,
See answer in The Piste section
Someone is going to shout at you for multi posting any min now rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy