Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Down jackets....

Poster: A snowHead
A few years back I got a Tog24 synthetic down jacket, now after 2 washes it's rubbish!! Some areas have loads of insulation, others have none!

In comparision my wife and daughters Berghaus jackets with down/feathers are fine after numerous washes.

So I'm after a new one in the Boxing Day sales, is there anything to look out for?

Don't want to spend a fortune, will never ski in it, so it doesn't need to be breathable or waterproof. I've used the current one for walking the dog and pre/post-MTBing!!

Cheers,

Greg
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on when you want it, you could try this place http://www.magic-mountain.co.uk/index_files/page0004.htm the overall website isn't working but it relates to mountain equipment outlet shop, i got a down jacket from them a few years ago for less than half normal price because it was a second, it had a tiny rip in the lining which took all of 1 minute to fix.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you wash it and put it in an industrial sized tumble dryer/ Although synthetic doesn't last as well. I'd always go for mountaineering gear... it often tends to be tougher in harsh conditions than ski specific wear which sometimes is more fashion than function.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa, What I am strugging with is how the synthetic padding will spread, even if it was in an industrial tumble dryer?? As oposed to feathers which I can see how they can seperate and spread once dry...

I've been googling, it appears Montane do an Anti Freeze jacket which is water and wind proof and filled with feathers....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've heard that the Magic Mountain shop has now closed.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kitenski, Some of the synthetic jackets may have a hollow fibre mess that is a little like down... it might spread it out and loft a little. If it's a mat then all is lost.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kitenski, have a look at Go Outdoors they have a fair selection of down gear and some decent offers, been looking myself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Three years ago I bought a Rab Neutrino - seemed expensive at the time - from around Nov to whenever I wear it all the time walking the dogs here in the UK - come the Mountains obviously it's brilliant for walks in the evening etc / going to the shops. When ski touring I pack it in its bag and use it once I'm in the hut to warm me up, and when we stop for tea / lunch breaks. It's also been used when a mate was not too good and we needed to keep him warm.

It really is worth paying that little bit extra and it will last and keep its "volume". Few weeks back I actually washed it (after a few years) and it's great, no probs with the down and keeps its shape when it drys out.

It has to be one of the best jackets etc I've ever bought, and they're have been a few over the years!

When resort skiing etc I use a Rab Generator under my hard shell should it be uber cold - and this is almost as warm as the Neutrino but aesthetically does not look so good but is more practical!

In fact this looks really good http://www.planetfear.com/item/Brand_rab-neutrino-lite-jacket_0_0_22889_1.html !!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kitenski, have used all of these for mountaineering clothing; Joe Browns also offer a 10% discount with BMC membership

http://www.joe-brown.com/
http://www.webtogs.co.uk/
http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/

These also do quality outdoor clothing - have used these for climbing related hardware

http://www.v12outdoor.com/catalog/index.php/
http://www.needlesports.com/

I have found good service with all of the above
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been hunting round for the North Face Diez jacket (summit series). Turns out they're only sold in N.America and the online retailer I spoke to said they're not allowed to ship to the uk. I swear I saw the same jacket when I was in Melbourne in OCt 2009 in the NF store. The price in AUD was horrendous though so couldn't bring myself to buy it there.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
altis wrote:
I've heard that the Magic Mountain shop has now closed.

it's been a few years since i went so that could be the case.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
+ 1 on the Rab Neutrino. Mine has had intensive use for three years now and is holding up extremely well. Warm, very lightweight and packs down easily into the bottom of the bag for skiing/touring. Full down hood is also a great thing.

I paid about 150 for mine. Retail is about 70 quid more than that.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cotswold Outdoors had a fair few Mountain Equipment down jackets in the sale a little while back... No idea if they still do though.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1 for the Neutrino. Or if you want cheaper then the ascents not to bad either. or if you want really cheap then alpkit's jacket is great for the price
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tarry, there was definitely a summit series 800 fill down similar to the diez on sale in the UK last year, as I tried one on..might be worth a google session. Though I thnk the Rabs are much better
ski holidays
I switched from down to Primaloft a few years ago and have never looked back. Still have my first Primaloft jacket, which goes through the wash at least twice a month during winter. It's provides a sleeker profile than down and keeps you warm when wet. The Generator jacket that Weathercam mentions is a Primaloft jacket.
snow report
Has anyone ever had montane gear? They appear to do a lightweight wind and waterproof down jacket called the anti freeze.....

http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/insulation/anti-freeze-jacket/273
ski holidays
kitenski,
if you are using the jacket in wet/damp conditions then go for primaloft. As with down, its the quality and density of the fill that matters. A really warm and durable jacket that looks okay is the KEELA belay jacket and you can get on for around 50 quid. I have used one for year round cycling, skiing, all sorts and its had plenty of washes - no problem.with insultation shifting. It is as warm as my berghaus extrem.(doesnt look as good though!) I suggest you google reviews for the keela - its very good -

if you really want down on a budget then nip down to COSTCO if you can - you may be lucky - i picked up a couple of nike (yes i know) 550 fill down quilted jackets (no hood) for 39quid each.
latest report
kitenski, Montane are a respected brand for those who like light weight - my wife has a wind layer that packs down to the size of a coke can. Been used and abused over several seasons for hill walking, scrambling and climbing and is still in resonable condition. This is not insulated but going by the quality of the material and stitching I would have no issues buying another piece of kit from them.

Also agree with the comments above that Primaloft stays warm when wet which is the issue with down
latest report
Montane are a great brand, they tend to get over looked as they are less fashionable than others.

For what you want the jacket for, I'd just get a cheap one from Go Outdoors or a fashion brand, there's no point paying for loads of technical features when you won't get the benefit from them. Uniqlo, for example, have a clut following with climbers in North America as they used to do down sweaters that were very similar to a Patagonia product but lighter and a third of the price. I've no idea where you're based but there's a Berghaus shop at Cheshire Oaks that always has discounted down jackets.

For thos that say Primaloft is warm when wet, having sat belaying in a drenched primaloft jacket in pretty cold temperatures and it wasn't warm or comfortable. It may have been moderately warmer than a down equivalent, but synthetics are the be all and end all. They do dry quicker though!
ski holidays
I do ski in a shell, so I am thinking if I buy smart with this one, I could layer it under the shell if needed.

I do goto Cheshire oaks every now and again, which shop has the discounted berghaus stuff?
snow report
galpinos wrote:
For thos that say Primaloft is warm when wet, having sat belaying in a drenched primaloft jacket in pretty cold temperatures and it wasn't warm or comfortable. It may have been moderately warmer than a down equivalent, but synthetics are the be all and end all. They do dry quicker though!

Can't say I've ever tested the wet-warmth properties when relatively stationary in cold temps. It does work in cool temps when you're active.
latest report
I can't remember which shop it was and the Cheshire Oaks website is blocked at work. It was towards the south west corner, I can't remember which shops were near it but CK Underwear rings a bell. I wasn't a berghaus barnded shop but did have there sticker in the window. The items in there were from the current range (quite a bit of there top of the range mountaineering stuff) at a decent discount compared to the high street. There's also a North Face shop but when I've popped in the range has been pretty poor.

If you're wanting to use it to layer under a shell, you'll need a thinner down or synthetic jacket. As an example, from the Rab range, i'd be looking at Microlight Alpine (down) or the Xenon (Synthetic hood) or Generator (Synthetic non-hood).
snow report
Or http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/insulated-clothing.php?cat=110

Possibly the best down jackets out there.
ski holidays
www.alpkit.com have very good down jackets and they are really cheap, but the only problem is that they very rarely have them in stock. So if you don't mind waiting a while for them to have them in stock then I highly recommend them but you could be waiting for a while.
latest report
http://www.welove2ski.com/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=b01&featureid=899&desc=How%20to%20stay%20warm%20this%20winter&section=20
snow report
kitenski, The North Face Nuptse takes some beating, I have 3 TNF down jackets, including 2 Nuptses (one a jacket and another a gilet) oldest 12 years old, and all as good as new.

Also RAB highly recommended.
latest report
I have a north face down knee length coat (its cold here)

Its on its third year, treated appaullingly and still going strong

Also have a rab which is toasty
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gryphea wrote:
I have a north face down knee length coat (its cold here)

Its on its third year, treated appaullingly and still going strong

Also have a rab which is toasty

Laughing Laughing I have the same, on it's 4th year! Very good.

kitenski I was in Go Outdoors today, they have a good selection of Rab, TNF and Montane. The Montane stuff looks really good actually.
latest report
Yeh thanks Sarah, they have a great collection there, with associated price tags!! Hoping for something in the boxing day sales online!!!
ski holidays
This month's (February!) Trail gamazine has a review of 18 down duvet jackets. Best in test is the ME Classic Lightline at £160 but best value goes to the Alpkit Filo at £80. I take most of these reviews with a heavy pinch of salt as they're not completely independent but there's plenty of useful info in the article. All the usual suspects are there (except PHD). The other jackets that get 4 stars are Marmot Ama Dablam £170, Montane North Star £180, Golite Roan Plateau 800 £180, Patagonia Fitzroy £190, Rab Infinity £200, Berhaus Extrem Duvet £200.

http://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/the_gear/clothing/insulation/lightline_jacket---277/
http://www.alpkit.com/filo/

What's the intended purpose? Teetering to and from the bar or packing in your sack to carry with you.
ski holidays
Primary usage will be daily dog walking when temps are <0 in the UK, but I reckon one I can have in a backpack for skiing and MTBing would be a bonus...

altis, did they test the Montane Anti-Freeze jacket?
latest report
papasmurf wrote:
Tarry, there was definitely a summit series 800 fill down similar to the diez on sale in the UK last year, as I tried one on..might be worth a google session. Though I thnk the Rabs are much better

There's a North Face Thunder Jacket from last year but don't remember seeing a Diez. Will carry on searching although you're not the first to mention the Rab..
ski holidays
Rab neutrino plus 1; my wife has one and she says it`s great. I have a 4 year old NF nuptse, which is warm ,even in -30, but the lining catches in the zip easily, and it is hard to do up with gloves. It`s just been lost by Flybe on the way back from Val d`Isere, so I think that I will buy something more functional this time.
Finally, I have been skiing in a NF Hectik ski jacket, new 3 weeks ago, and part of the summit series; It is £ 320 mrp, and I got it for £220; still over priced. The down leaks out inside, it is paper thin, and I even felt cold in it this evening at around zero. It does`nt stop strong wind, and appears to only have down in the hood and arms, and around the bottom hem. Avoid. I hope NF will take it back, because it does`nt do what it claims on the packet !!
ski holidays
My old Rab duvet saved my life... slept out on top of Caingorm in a major Feb storm after a climb.
snow report
Quote:

the lining catches in the zip easily

Its not just me then!! My mates thought it was the Yorkshireman in me that designed it that way so I couldnt get my wallet out at the bar................... rolling eyes

If I was looking for a tricky down jacket I'd be getting a Peak Performance one in the Easter sales in St Anton, fantastic................but I'm not so will stick with my Nuptses!
ski holidays
kitenski, no, the Anti-Freeze was not on the list. As ever with these things, they just pick one or two items from each manufacturer's range and then try to judge the whole brand from that. Fairly pointless IMHO.

Far better to identify the features that are important for you and buy something that is appropriate.

From the small range of jackets in the review, I'd suggest the Filo best matches your requirements - cheap, removable hood with wired peak, long tail, anti-snag strip behind zip, 700 fill power but quite heavy at 772g, little brand charisma and it's only available online.
ski holidays
kitenski,

Be good to yourself and get the Berghaus Incinerator:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68999
ski holidays
+2 for the primaloft, usually ski with a shell as have overheated a lot in past when hiking to get to off piste runs. Wife kindly let me lay hands on Patagonia Nano Hoody, which will fit easily under shell, but light as hell and rolls up into own pocket for chucking in day sack when sunny. Not tried in altitude yet, but been wearing it over t shirt outdoors for last few week in sub zero and been great.
ski holidays
I've had an Alpkit Filo jacket for a few years now and swear by it. Only problem is it's goose down which is pretty useless if it gets wet. I've got a synthetic down vest from Finisterre, and I certainly wouldn't go anywhere else. Think they have a pretty hefty sale on at the minute too.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy