Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Italy Resort Recommendation

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've not been to Italy since my first ever skiing trip with school. Now many many years on and travelling by snowboard I am eager to return. I have not really looked into Italy over the years and am unsure as where to start.

So where is the best place I should be going in Italy? Are drag lifts still really a problem? I am cruiser and off piste rider, parks are not really of interest.

Any recommendations would be great!

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take a look at Selva. There were quite a few snowboarders in the Chalet we were staying in, who had been several times to there before when we went.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
scoman,

Livigno is good for some nice cruising reds & the odd blue but don't think it has much ( if any) off piste. Theres 100k of piste so not too bad for a week.
Cant recall any drags except on the town level 'bunnie' slopes. prices are very good ( i.e. cheap for a ski resort) & the food tends to be very good to excellent ( at least thats what I found).

Good luck

Mitch

PS; also resort is high at 1850 m so good snow is pretty much order of the day

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 22-12-10 14:08; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gressoney in Aosta valley (NW corner of Italy): www.monterosa-ski.com

reviews
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Gressoney/reviews
http://blog.arendsen.net/index.php/2009/01/18/monte-rosa-ski/
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
scoman, +1 for Livigno. Very few ground level lifts and some decent off-piste options as I recall. Plus there's a decent night life - not wild, but there if you want it. As mentioned, it's high, with a good record for snow. Only downside is the long transfer and the skiing domain being either side of the town meaning one elects to ski one side or the other or catches one of the frequent buses to change domain. Not really much of a drama IMO.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
scoman, Selva and the other resorts around the Sella Ronda and Dolomites attract a fair number of boarders, some amazing scenery and runs, if the conditions are right would be an excellent choice.

It's just that natural snowfall can be a bit erratic in NE Italy, so if plentiful off-piste is a priority, I would say somewhere in NW Italy would be more reliable like the Monte Rosa, a great freeride area between the resorts of Alagna, Gressoney and Champoluc.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you're really into offpiste, then you cannot get any better than Monterosa.
Alagna and Gressoney are in the same league as La Grave and Chamonix. Just not submerged in hordes of tourists.
Plus it's still authentic, good value and really tasteful local food.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much for your replies and have given food for thought. I like the thought of the Sella Ronda as i love clocking up the miles, I hear you have to do it clockwise if your a boarder?! Also is did a couple of BC courses in Cham last year so I'd also like to put some knowledge to the test.

I'll take a look at all locations and no doubt be back to ask some Q's. As some have pointed out, it is the cuisine that most certainly is on the plus side of an Italian venture.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Onnem,
Quote:

you cannot get any better than Monterosa

Quote:

Alagna and Gressoney are in the same league as La Grave and Chamonix

You are having a laugh aren't you?

I know both Monterosa and Chamonix pretty well. We ski both areas pretty frequently.

Monterosa has exceptional ski mountaineering.

However, if you're talking lift served off piste I don't think it's anywhere nearly as good as Chamonix (can't comment on La Grave).

Two issues:

1. topography - the lift served area just doesn't allow for the same "ski anything" access that you have in Grands Montets, Brevent-Flegere.

2. more importantly, the area's in the wrong part of Europe for prevailing winds and snow fall. When the snow's good, it can be very good. The snowfall is just not as good as often as it is good (or great) in Chamonix.

Food's great though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Livigno: Very good snow, good value, good lifts, but transfer is a pain.

Selva: Amazing scenery, sense of travel, but expensive

Would go back to both, also Passo Tonale if on a budget.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scoman, for boarding, you should do the Sella Ronda clockwise or you'll hit a lot of flats. Off-piste has been great so far this year and it's dumping as we speak snowHead
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scoman, A Vote for Cervina, if U like cruising and offpist,,
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
scoman, my report on Canazei is at the bottom of the page:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5047&start=200
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy