Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boot liners icing up - what can I do?

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all, Mrs Monium here.

We were in Tignes last week and I was skiing with my new boots (Nordica Speedmachine X95Ws) and whilst I was very pleased with the fit and all that stuff, I did have a problem with getting very cold toes, normally in the afternoons.

Now, it was F cold in Tignes, and we did do silly things like go up to the glacier in both Tignes and Val in minus a gazillion or something near that, but I noticed that when we got back to the chalet and I took the liners out of my boots, there were ice crystals all over the outside of the toes of the liners - this was the case all week.

I'm assuming that the ice is what was making my little tootsies cold (well, kind of obvious, huh?) and so I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to prevent it from happening? I assume it's a delightful product of my feet sweating and this being wicked through the liners then freezing (gross, I know Embarassed) in which case I can't think of what I could do to stop it, but I'm open to suggestions as to causes and solutions!

Ta muchly in advance Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like they are leaking at the front. Duct tape or back to the shop if they are new.

http://deepfriar.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/mikes-boots-2.jpg?w=450&h=371
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Mrs M,

I think that the ice is "merely" a symptom of everything being cold. It's not actually contributing - basically it was just very cold where you were and ski boots aren't designed to be terribly insulating. If you want insulated feet, wear big slippers.

I wouldn't woory about it although if you are like 80% of girls between 20 and 65 (according to my GP), you probably suffer from cold fingers and toes and might want to consider heated boot liners.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
more than likely just the persiration form the foot condensing and freezing inside the shell, at the temperatuures happening right now it it not a surprize,boot heaters would be a lovely xmas gift Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CEM wrote:
boot heaters would be a lovely xmas gift Toofy Grin
Save a pair for me. I'll visit when I get back to the UK in the New Year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, can I still have them in the boots I got from you last year - footbeds and zipfits fitted into some Saloman something-orothers - very small size 22!

Boots are still fine, have just had 8 days on them in Les Gets and Avoriaz - and temperatures there quite testing, so no icing inside, but a touch of slightly cold toes.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You can get neoprene boot wraps which go outside the shell - never used them myself but seen coaches who do a lot of standing around in Canada using them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
CEM wrote:
more than likely just the persiration form the foot condensing and freezing inside the shell, at the temperatuures happening right now it it not a surprize,boot heaters would be a lovely xmas gift Toofy Grin

Yea, it was somewhere between -20 and -30 odd with the windchill.

So will boot heaters fit in my boots?

(Hint, hint... Darling, please pay attention... Very Happy )
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob wrote:
You can get neoprene boot wraps which go outside the shell - never used them myself but seen coaches who do a lot of standing around in Canada using them.

Hmm. There is now the danger that Mr Monium will decide that boot heaters are a bad idea, but that butchering one of the many wetsuits we have is a far better idea... rolling eyes

Mind you, if it works..!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for boot heaters here.

I got a pair from CEM and used them in Norway last month and then in France over the last few weeks when it's been below -15 and they really do make a difference. And I'm usually standing around quite a bit.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
currently completely out of stock but another shipment is due early january
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another vote for boot heaters here.

I got a pair from CEM and used them in Norway last month and then in France over the last few weeks when it's been below -15 and they really do make a difference. And I'm usually standing around quite a bit.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
CEM wrote:
currently completely out of stock but another shipment is due early january
Put my name on one. Toes are still numb from last week.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Monium, +1 on boot heaters, every time!! Smile
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm tempted to go for boot heaters too, especially as I can see you can get heating elements that slip over custom insoles
snow report
I suffer from cold extremities & poor circulation.
I have electric boot heaters - they are brilliant !
They don't so much keep you warm as stop you getting cold, they take the edge off the chill
ski holidays
I went to Edge&Wax this morning to buy some Thermics, sadly they'd sold out.

Looked at a couple of other retailers on my way home and finally found some just 2 miles from home and managed to get a wee discount too :0)

All fitted now to CEM's custom footbeds, very nice of Atomic to to leave a hole in the liner for the cable

ski holidays
jasongibson100, one thing i would recomend is that you get hold of an "powerstrap adapter" to put the battery on, whilst they sit very nicely on the back bracket as in the picture they are exposed to chairlift damage
latest report
jasongibson100, Looks a bit excessive and cumbersome, I'd prefer a decent breakfast to warm up my core and thus extremeties and wear decent socks!!
snow report
Quote:

Looks a bit excessive and cumbersome

they're not really (esp with the power strap adaptor as mentioned) and there's very little that a decent breakfast and socks will do to keep feet warm in the kind of temperatures some people have suffered recently. some people have more susceptible feet than others, too. My son in law used to suffer terribly, even when it wasn't very cold, but we sorted that - Christmas present. He's tall and thin - very active, a PE teacher, keen windsurfer, good footballer. And he has smartwool socks. But his feet still froze.

Boot warmers are great!
snow report
pam w, I take your point!! I must be lucky, I have skied in temps of -25C and never recently had a problem, but its horrid when you have cold feet, I know from early days with wet hire boots - one season and never again............... My solution ever since is to have heaters in overnight, take the liners out every night to prevent moisture trapping and make sure they are totally dry and warm at the start of the day. Also the intake of regular snack type food throughout the day, and a big bowl of soup and bread at lunch to prevent losing core temperature, which pulls circulation from the extremeties, ie toes and fingers. Seems to work.
snow conditions
The week before Christmas had temperatures of -20 and lower for most of the week. My feet were painfully cold and I got a little bit of frostbite in one toe which blistered and has completely lost sensation at the end. Even in the much milder temperatures we've had since then my toes have been very painful. Wish I'd had boot heaters that week. I'm going to get a pair asap, but that's a little bit like shutting the stable door long after the horse has galloped into the sunset.
snow report
Whilst good socks or gloves help, cold extremities is usualy caused by poor circulation.
I use top of the range £160 gloves, but still have to use chemical hand warmers most of the season.

Some ski boots are worse than others too.
My latest Garmonts are much colder than my old ones.

I'd reccomend getting the proper mounting clip as this is more secure than the supplied spring clip.
The battery is surprisingly light.
The only problem I've had is the switch getting knocked from 'all day keep the chill off' to 'short burst turbo heat'.
A little bit of sticky tape over the sliding switch solves this.
latest report
Hi guys

Another one for boot heaters. Have some hotronics and honestly couldn't ski here without them. I use them colder than around -5C and really only on setting 1 of 4, and occasionally 2 of 4 (like when -25C at Sunshine).

My son has a 'boot glove' and it seems to work well for those who don't usually suffer from the cold, but do occasionally ski in extreme cold. He seems to use them around -15C or lower
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy