Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what's wrong with me???? snowhead down!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I know i need to go and see a physio, but please bear with me!

My wife is a physio and had a look last night and couldn't work out my problem. She's a brain injury/rehab physio though so suggested i may want to go and get seen to by a proper sports physio, but i'm not able to do that until next week due to work and the upcoming festivities!

So... onto my problem.

To put it bluntly, i have a sore bum cheek! on the right hand side and towards the side. However, sometimes the pain travels slightly into the top of my leg, not down it though. If i'm sitting down and stand up, it takes a good couple of seconds before the pain comes on and i find it difficult to straighten my leg straight away. Once i let the pain subside and start walking, it's fine. It's a really sharp pain when i stand up. Other times it's just a dull pain.

One other thing that's got me is that i have a bit of a cold at the moment and when i cough, i get pain in the forementioned area, like a stabbing pain. very strange.

My wife checked all my muscles, it's not a hamstring pull and she's discounted sciatica or any associated nerve problem for one reason or another.

Now, when did it start? A couple of weeks ago when we were at Glenshee skiing, i had an innocuous fall when my skis hooked up on some grass when skiing. not steep, wasn't going fast, but i do remember coming down on my hip. Never noticed much pain at the time but it's the only thing i can relate it too. I have done a lot of shoveling of snow/ice recently but can't imagine that has caused anything.

Anyone got any ideas?

I have a fair bit of skiing planned in the next couple of weeks and don't want to miss any of it!!!

sorry, just noticed there's an injury section on the forum... can a mod move it please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A good friend of mine had very very similar symptoms and that was related to sciatica/lower back injury, so I would suggest you do get this looked at for a second opinion at least even if your wife thinks its unlikely.

I'm no medical professional but it sounds like similar symptoms to me and can be caused by a small fall quite easily: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciatica
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shoogly, I also have a friend who had similar symptoms and his problem was diagnosed as piriformis syndrome - see here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome. He was given a load of exercises which helped and the good news was that he had no pain while skiing! Hope you get better soon.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
did you have a big bruise?

I fell playing football and it was a couple months before it was back to normal, must take a while for an internal bruise to "clear" out
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a similar sounding injury at the moment, only difference is bum cheek sore and tight in the morning (insert own joke here) I popped into physio at work as I've had it for 6 weeks now and go skiing in 4 weeks. Turns out just a pulled muscle deep in my bum cheek, few stretch exercises each day for next couple weeks should sort it out. So in short, go to a physio, should be able to self refer to your local hospital for same/next day.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
no bruising at all. it's very strange.

i'm hoping it's not sciatica or that piriformis thing!

what's strange is that, if i'm sat down or just laying about, or once i'm up and moving, i'm totally pain free - thankfully, hopefully this means i'll be able to ski ok.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had similar pains and it turned out to be sciatica, got it sorted with lots of work on my core and it's fine now unless i don't do any situps for a while.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, disc injury causing sciatica.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it goes on and on Sad thankfully it's not stopping me skiing, just restricting movement a bit during certain points of a turn to the left.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
If its not constant blinding pain, its not the sciatica I had, - you really should be gald to hear this!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
parlor, you were spot on.

I have a herniated disc L4-5 that's affecting the nerves.

I have my exercises to do every hour (getting a laugh for other folk at work if nothing else) and i'll see how it goes.

Physio i went to see was at taylor physio in Comely bank. www.taylorphysiotherapy.com
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy