Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How's Skiwelt for a beginner ?

Poster: A snowHead
As one who enjoys clocking up the miles I'm thinking of trying the skiwelt area. I'd like to take my partner who is a cautious 2nd week learner. As the trip will need to be through a T/O Soll & Ellmau look the most likely destinations. Is either of these noticeably better than the other & are they generally good for a learner?

( I apologise in advance for possibly slow replies to any posts, but I currently have only limited access to the net _ all help none the less most welcome !)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Either Söll or Ellmau would be ok, I think. Both have easy beginners' areas at valley level, with Ellmau probably slightly more extensive. In both cases the main skiing is a little way from most of the accommodation (linked by bus) and you have to take a cable-car/train up the mountain. It is probably easier to ski around a bit, e.g. to Scheffau, from the Ellmau end; Söll is dominated by the Hohe Salve, from which a descent might be intimidating for a beginner. The main problem for a cautious beginner (or anyone, come to that), might be the home run at the end of the day. There the Ellmau descent, though having its own difficulties, is possible slightly less harrowing than the relatively narrow run down into Söll. You can, of course, avoid the problems by taking the cable-car or train back down. On balance, it seems I'd plump for Ellmau.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Soll is suitable for a 2nd week learner as the runs at mid-mountain are very good in the way they progress from easy blue through to easy red. As for getting around you don't have to ski from Hohe Salve, there are two ways to avoid it and by the end of the week it is nice to say you skied down from the top if they are up to it. As for skiing down from mid mountain to resort level there is a easy way down called the family run. I would not recomend trying and ski the red run down after 2.30pm as it is like a bowling alley with moguls.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
skid & slide wrote:
As for skiing down from mid mountain to resort level there is a easy way down called the family run.

Sorry - forgot about that Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My first ever skiing was done in Soll. It seemed OK to me.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm going to Scheffau in two weeks with my best friend who's a complete beginner. Everything I read said it would be a good choice for beginners so I'll report back very soon. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

There the Ellmau descent, though having its own difficulties, is possible slightly less harrowing than the relatively narrow run down into Söll. You can, of course, avoid the problems by taking the cable-car or train back down.

I struggle to understand why people ski some of those nasty "resort runs" (found also in, for example, Val D'Isere and Les 2 alpes). A nice relaxing ride down at the end of the day in a cable car, usually with lovely views - what could be better? Especially for a nervous beginner. The last run of the day shouldn't be a taxing one. I suppose it's the insistence of many intermediate skiers on skiing down which accounts for a lot of those "last run of the day" injuries.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w wrote:
Quote:

There the Ellmau descent, though having its own difficulties, is possible slightly less harrowing than the relatively narrow run down into Söll. You can, of course, avoid the problems by taking the cable-car or train back down.

I struggle to understand why people ski some of those nasty "resort runs" (found also in, for example, Val D'Isere and Les 2 alpes). A nice relaxing ride down at the end of the day in a cable car, usually with lovely views - what could be better? Especially for a nervous beginner. The last run of the day shouldn't be a taxing one. I suppose it's the insistence of many intermediate skiers on skiing down which accounts for a lot of those "last run of the day" injuries.

The Ellmau home run is actually not bad at all, particularly if you stick to the blue. It is a lot wider than many, and most of it is proper piste rather than cat-track or road.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks All, seems both are likely to be good bets - it'll probably end up as where i get the best deal on the day. Has anyone any particularly good/bad experiences of T/O's or accommodation in the area ?

queen bodecia, I look forward to hearing how it went as scheffau is also an option, though it doesn't seem to appear quite as regularly on the late deals lists.Have a great time.

pam w, with my partners cautiiuos nature & slightly dodgy knees, if the home run looks at all awkward she'll be the first heading for the gondola ! As it was last year she paced herself by heading down the mountain early most days & heading of on walks - she reckoned she enjoyed that almost as much !! I KNOW she'll come round !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:

I can't be the only one that skis 2/3 of their 30 or so days per year back to cold car parks, a quick cup of coffee and a long drive home. For me, an energy sapping run that ends in a terrace seat with a nice cold beer in hand is a significant part of the draw for overseas resorts like the Deux Alpes. The likes of its Valentin, where you can see the village hustle & bustle from high up the mountain and all the way down its steepish slopes to the village centre is bliss. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nickH, I think that Skiwelt arena should be a good choice for a beginner, but usally the maine slopes back to bottom is not nice,, better then to have a nice trip in the gondola, after a day with skiing,, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy and HAPPY XMAS Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
freeheelskier, I shall try & work it that she takes the gondola down & has the beer waiting for me once I've skied down!!
Likewise have a great xmas !!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ellmau is a great choice....many many moons ago i learnt to ski there, lovely chocolate box resort and stunning Wilder Kaiser mountains as a backdrop. beginners area in the village was huge. Hopefully they have replaced the single seat chairlift in Going now.....managed to slide out of that as it swung wildly from the bottom station and i reach round to grab the safety bar. Falling 10ft in skis and boots is...ummm....interesting Shocked
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skinutter wrote:
Hopefully they have replaced the single seat chairlift in Going now.....

Yes - glad you survived!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I know I'm dragging up an old-ish thread..... but my second ski trip was to the Skiwelt. I thought it was great. Granted I'm not/wasn't cautious, but I'm not gung ho either.

We stayed in Ellmau, spent the first day skiing the runs in the village and heading over to Going. Was mainly doing drills etc... with as a friend and I had an instructor that day. But this really helped to build my confidence to head up the funicular for the rest of the week and ski the whole area all the way down to the villages (apart from Westendorf as we didn't have time).

I didn't particularly enjoy the run down to Ellmau, it's not especially difficult although does have a couple of what I considered then to be steepish sections. What I didn't enjoy was the amount of people on it, seemingly in too much of a hurry, but I took it as a challenge! It was a lot better one day when we skied down at lunchtime, and was a lot quieter.
snow conditions
Agreed on the run back down to the bottom of the funicular at Ellmau, it was our first ski trip and it was very busy at the latter end of the day- I echo the comments of people in a hurry, my wife got shouted at for no real reason other than some fat german speaking woman didn't wish to be inconvenienced by going around her.
Wouldn't be too put off by that though, there's a chance of that(them) everywhere- simple way to avoid is to ski down a bit earlier (and finish off in Going which we found fun, reasonably easy and zippy runs, not very busy at all) or take the funicular down. Chances are, you won't be alone in the carriage on the way down!

Not sure I agree Ellmau is all that chocolate box- though the Wilder Kaiser mountains were awesome to look at, if you can get a room with a view towards them. The village is nice enough with quite a few places to shop or drink.
My opinion, anyway Wink
ski holidays
I should probably add that we were there over New Year, so that run is probably a little quieter on non school holiday periods.
snow report
nickH, When are you thinking of going? My first ski holiday was in Ellmau and I spent the first three days on the nursery slopes at resort level. By the fourth day our instructor deemed us good enough to go up the mountain. As it happens he didn't have a choice because by that time the nursery slopes were completely covered by a strange green substance. It was the first week in March. Earlier in the season you should be fine.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy