Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GoPro chesty with LCD bacpac question.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I've just purchased a gopro chesty mount.
With the LCD bacpac installed the camera can't be flat parallel to the mounting plate (due to the extra width of the bacpac)The angle is slightly pointing down which may or may not be perfect for skiing footage?

Has anyone got an experience on the ideal POV angle when using the chesty mount?

I realise you can just take the bacpac off but this is a pain once on the mountain and maybe a slight angle will give more perspective with hands and feet on show at the expense of forward perspective?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Shim it. Or lean backwards more.

I'm sure you can experiment just by strapping it on and walking down some stairs and seeing what the angle is like Smile
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm not 100% on this but I think that the camera can be mounted up side down, and that there is a menu option to flip the video output.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The HD Hero 2 certainly can (not sure about the '1') be mounted upside down and video flipped either in camera or in the edit. This works well for MTB where the camera is best pointed up around 45 degrees for when you are hunched on the bars.

For skiing, depends on your style and terrain but I had really good results with the camera flat / parallel to the mount. Do the straps up pretty tight too. An option to achieve this flat positioning with the LCD fitted is to pick up a grab bag of mounts or a Ride Hero mount and use the extension arm to space it out a bit from the back plate.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Both the Hero and Hero 2 have options to record 'upside down' and this is preferred to flipping when editing, in terms of mounting with the LCD back just add an extra mounting arm or 2 or use the J mount to move it away from the quick release mount. However we always recommend not using the LCD back when recording as apart from adding to the form factor and weight it also drains the battery quicker. Our suggestion is to carry the lcd back and plug it in when you want to review the footage or setup a shot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I'd just run without the lcd backpack to be honest, once you've set up the angle(had a trial run) it doesn't really benefit you atall.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MattMattMatt, ditto. I regret purchasing my LCD bac pac.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Feast wrote:
MattMattMatt, ditto. I regret purchasing my LCD bac pac.

they can be really useful when setting up viewing angles or a particular shot, or if you need to review something quickly but would never suggest using them full time. They also have a slight benefit of helping with the menu settings, particularly on the original hero.

the other benefit of the lcd back is not the back itself but the fact that you can use the battery back to extend shooting time in the same housing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Run it upside down and use the compensation setting.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ansta1, How much of a drain is it on the battery life.?Ive set it to switch off after 60 secs,so it shouldnt be too bad should it?

I reckon the angle slight pointed downwards is going to be fine for most footage though as it does seem to get hands and skis and horizon in frame even with a slight downward slant.

I just cant be faffed swopping cases etc on the mountain and only bought the bacpac as last year i found it hard on a helmet mount to determine whether or not we were on/filming or not Evil or Very Mad

The chesty mount is obviously much easier to check this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hedley, we suggest using the standard housing with the back open to set up most shots, then take the lcd back off and close the housing up. Obviously this is a little more difficult with the chest strap and in this situation we would suggest doing a test mount and short recording, but the lcd back on review and adjust, repeat till you are happy.

in my view the lcd comes into its own when shooting handheld tracking shots or for post video check or review and would never suggest having it fitted when in use.

As for battery drain, even when turned off its using a small amount of power and we reckon as much as 20% less if its fitted which in cold conditions is as much as 30minutes. Another reason why we send 2 batteries and a silicone sleeve out to help.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy