Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What characteristics/attributes do i need to look for in a ski? ANY advice is welcome!!! Im an idiot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Im trying to buy a ski to cope with 4 weeks in Canada and then a week or two a year in Europe.

However- im trying really hard to read up on skis (and avoid posting too many noob topics!) but im a bit confused about what i need to look for in a

Me:

95Kg (about 15-15.5 stone)
6ft 1
Moderate stamina, high leg strength as i do more squats and not enough cardio (even though im trying to loose weight lol)

Just 10 days experience last season- which was my first.

I know everyone says how good they are- but considering my inexperience- im pretty good. Last lessons i had i was in group level 4 out of 7- so mid range. Obviously fategue or tricky stuff shows me up though! Smile

How i like to ski:

Like *speed*. Fast as my balls/technique allow. Aggressive.
Want to learn to carve properly
Done all on piste so far- but am hoping to really get to grips with off piste when in canada
Not interested in tricks in the park etc

A lot of the reviews online, esp. the youtube ones- are all done by ppl selling them- so they never say anything bad- which makes it so hard to work out whats right for me!

Any advice or words i should be looking out for would be much appreciated! What does poppy, snappy, likes to be loaded mean? Im guessing the latter is you need to carve it- not half slide half carve?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mate, a ski for ungroomed in Canada ain't gonna be ideal for the odd week in Europe on piste, so you'll have to compromise somewhere. Be honest with yourself, what will you be skiing predominantly over the next few years? Do you want an off-piste ski that copes on piste, or a piste ski that you can venture into the sidecountry with?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pay the premium and just buy them in Canada where you can demo some pairs. Check out the Ski Stop, Mountain Magic and Ultimate Ski in Banff who all have demos.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:
I'm an idiot

You're in good company then Laughing
Seriously,people who have skied for years still ask themselves the same sort of questions.Many(most)of us have gone through a progression of ski's as our technique,or specific interest,develops.
As an early(sorry)skier,you need to be careful not to 'buy' a ski too far beyond your level,but at the same time,a ski you can progress with...tricky Confused As oz5000, says,your 'main' skiing will determine,to some extent,your choice.For a range of conditions,there is no such thing as an ideal ski,its all about compromise.Its also the reason why quite a few have a quiver(collection),so they can choose depending on conditions/type of skiing.So called 'all mountain' are an attempt at an all round ski,though some are not as all round as they might claim to be!
As Alans deep bath, rightly says,demo is the way to go.With such a vast range these days,you really have to demo as much as you can.Be wary of personal recommendation,and be sure to try before you buy.A good instructor can be valuable,as they can assess your 'true' level,and possibly,give you some sensible options.

Then,and only then,get yourself some nice shiny planks.........because you're worth it wink Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmmmm- i think i will take your advice guys and just demo a couple and have some instruction in the first week or so. Pity really- i do fancy saving myself 30% Sad

Loving the name "alans deep bath" Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
billy_boy_2010, Much better option than wasting 100% Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy