Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

St Johann Sporthotel Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just booked for the New Year after months of faffing about. Me, Mrs JB, Baby JB and Granny JB!!

Smallish ski area, but ticked a few boxes: Good Hotel, shortish transfer, low altitude (for baby). What other areas are easily accessable for a day's skiing?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
johnboy, If you are talking about St Johan in Tirol then Kitzbuel is only 10 mins away by train.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
johnboy, loads of other areas. Obviously Kitzbuhel is next door or there are the usual suspects like Soll, Scheffau etc. In the other direction though (and probably quiter at new year) I think you'll quite like Waidring and the Steineplatte (sp), Fieberbrunn is a nice place, and a bit further on from Fieberbrunn you have Leogang - from there you can get into Saalbach area.

St Johann itself is a well laid out ski area and you might not feel like venturing futher afield. Mountains and runs are a bit samey in the Kitzbuheler Alps.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers folks, just found this map, which is pretty useful:

http://www.skimap.kitzalps.com/default.asp?Lang=en
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
johnboy, Of teh ones mentioned, ojnly Waidring/Steinplatte and Feiberbrunn are included on the local (Schneewinkel) lift pass and free ski buses. To ski Kitzbuhel or the Ski Welt you need the full Kitzalps Allstar card ( or pay for the other areas on the day), and you either need your own transport, or a friend who is willing to help, or you have to use the post buses (which are not free).

[EDIT] I'd forgotten about the train, although I'm not sure where in teh Ski Welt you can reach by train from St Johann[/EDIT]

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 21-12-10 23:31; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
From St johann you can take the train to Saalbach, Zell am See which is linked by bus to kaprun, Kitzbuhel and the Ski Welt (although also a bus to Soll) so no real need for a car, Austrian Railways have great special offers for day trips. Fieberburnn and Waidring/Steinplatte can be accessed by a free ski bus. depending how good a skier you are St johann, Fieberbrunn and Waidring should be enough for a weeks skiing of the three I prefer Fieberbrunn whihc is also much quieter than St Johann and also has great easy off piste stuff. If you just stay in Tirol going to Kitz and Ski Welt you just need to upgrade to kitz Alpen Pass which is not much more than the local pass.

For St johann itself the sport hotel is in a very good postion, if you want some apres Max's on a Wednesday is very raucous with lots of cheesey austrian apres music the other bars come to life later on Rogi's is a great local place especially if you want to see English football. Avoid Bunny's unless you want to spend the night with a bunch of 15 year olds.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
johnboy, Fiebebrunn is brilliant. It's hard to tell from a piste map but the pistes are all really interesting. Possibly my "per-kilometer" favourite resort in Austria (done about 20). Easy free ski bus from St. Johann.

Train to Kitz great day out for Granny too.

Re. the Ski Welt, you are at the Ellmau end (nice village for Granny), it's about 20 minutes drive to the Hartkaiser (?) mountain railway to access the main area. Easy if you have a car, but I can't remember if there's a St.J -> Ellmau public transport option. Probably Postbus.

St. Johann is OK but has a major issue with morning lift queues from the village gondola - avoid that and you'll have a great week.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There is a postbus from St Jo to ellmau but you can also take the train to Westendorf or Hopfgarten which to me is the best part of the Ski welt to ski in.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy