Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

2 way radios

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I wonder if anyone can help. I have 2 terrain 550 two way radios and I want to add 2 more to give to the kids. they will never be that far away from us, at the most at the bottom of the slop while we might be at the top, if they have come down a different slope. this year i wanted us all to have a radio ie if one of the kids falls off a tbar behind me and there is no where for me to jump off without endangering other people etc so i can radio him and tell him what to do etc, or tell him to just wait there, you know what i mean. so anyway, I dont really want to pay too much as the terrain 550 are about £30 and was hoping to just pick up a cheaper pair of two way radios that will work with the binatone terrain 550 but not cost the earth.

well if that all makes sense to you I look forward to your replies.

Thank you
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I may be wrong, but I believe any radios will work with the terrain 550's (or other radio) providing all are set to the same channel.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We still bring our radios (x4) away with us each trip but don't seem to use them so much now. Probably as they are bulky and the last time we used them there was so much 'traffic' it was irritating. I guess we were just unlucky with our channel choices as you really don't seem to see many people using them Confused
Our 11yr old got his first mobile for his Birthday in Flaine this year. The next day it was put into very good use as he came off a very steep poma and got into some difficulty out of sight and in tricky terrain. OH went to help him but at least I was able to chat to him and soothe before he reached him. Gave him a big fright as it had been a long time since anything like that had happened, but actually he coped well and skied himself out once he got his breath back Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99, when I think of the joy a trip to the mountains provides two words that encompass that are Peace and Adventure...

May I politely suggest you forego the squak boxes and help foster a sense of independance and responsibility in your bairns that will stand them in good stead for a lifetime of respectful and quiet enjoyment of the beautiful mountain envirnment. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One problem with kids and two way radios is that the kids get to hear, and maybe to emulate, other people's bad language and bad radio usage.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Adrian, sadly they don't need to use radios to experience that.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i think most if not all radios will work together. at least they seemed to the last time i brought mine out on the slopes because we spent all day listening to everyone else's chatter. That meant we ended up turning them off most of the day, which sort of defeated the point of having them. Mobile phones and lots of planned rendezvous points/times would be better i think.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If they're PMR446 then they'll talk to each other.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMR446

I tried some skiing but never bother these days. Too much inane chatter (always in English!!!) on too few channels to be useful.

Also check out:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=68321
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1448646
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=29415
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=11120
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Polo,

I'm sure you may have already taken your trip, but StevenH is right. Just grab some simple Motorola 2-ways or something to that effect and you should be able to communicate pretty well with your kids. Some of the Moto models look pretty cool as well so the kids will most likely think they are carrying around a space gadget or something Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Mobile phones and lots of planned rendezvous points/times would be better i think.

Depends where and when you are . I've had no problem using them in Val di'sere before Christmas and its a lot cheaper using a radio and dropping one off a chairlift than an iphone snowHead

In the UK they are particularly useful. As soon as the landscape gets remotely interesting Mobile phone reception is notoriously unreliable in Britain.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy