Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Good/bad mountain restaurants Tignes/Val d`Isere

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned from La Daille after a fantastic week, and felt that I should post a mention of the worst and best eating places that we visited as a family.
The best, by far, for quality and value, was Les Marmottes at the bottom of the Borsat lift on Bellevarde. A medium plate of buffet salads piled high for 4.80 euros, u.k steak 10.50 euros, and hand made steak hamburgers. We were also given a free expresso and a free shot of Genepi on different visits after chatting with the owners.
The worst, by a long stretch, was Le Palet in Tignes, at the bottom of the Grattalu lift. I had an inkling that it would be bad when I saw the pictures of dishes on the wall ( never a good sign ) A plate of 2 slices of cold preformed ham and a few chips was 11 euros, and the toilets ( 50 cents ) were filthy, and swimming in water at mid day.

We also ate at the more up market Le Signal at Le Fornet ( good ) and Le Trifollet on the O.K piste at La Daille ( friendly welcome from the owner)

Many others were good as well, but I cannot recall where they were !!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers cstreat.

I'm going tp Tignes in February, for the first time.

Is Les Marmottes in Tignes le lac?

Andy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Andythejock, No it's above Val D'Isere. Give The Loop a try in Le Lac.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Andythejock, Try the Bagus Cafe if you are eating out in the evening - They do a wide range of dishes and the Tagines are very good, not expensive and good service.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Andythejock, also go to tignes cuisine, which is next door to the loop bar in tignes le lac. excellent value noodles for lunch.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just got back, and a couple of high (and low) lights from us

Carpe Diem does a great job of pizza, burgers and omlettes, all around £10-£15 with friendly service. Located just up from the Maison de Tignes, round the corner from Spar.

Just up from Carpe Diem is another restaurant, I can't remember the name but you go in a door and straight upstairs to sit down. 13.90 Euros for main course and a drink, which included the artery-clogging Calzone Montagnarde, basically a tartiflette in a calzone. Incredible if you like cheese and are incredibly hungry - one is enough for two people really.

Place in Le Fornet called Arolet does some of the best Tartiflette on the mountain, but is a more expensive option at 20 euros each approx, more if you go for an expensive option.

We also found Le Signal, a ridiculously expensive place that seemed to basically be very posh food but was 30 Euros+ for a main course. We had a salad and soup and felt distinctly like they didn't really want quick snack customers, they seemed almost put out when we didn't order bottles of wine costing hundreds and went for a coke instead. It is down the hill from the glacier in Val D'Isere, a long way from Tignes and not worth the trek unless you are desperate to spend hundreds.

I didn't go there, but Grizzly's was described as expensive and the music awful by the rest of the guys.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium,

There are two restaurants in Le Signal in Le Fornet, at the top of the cable car. There is the self service part on the ground floor and upstairs there is a small very expensive waiter service restaurant where you go for a 2.5 hour relaxing lunch.

Was the other restaurant in Le Fornet just along the main road towards Val d'isere, not on the mountain, if it was it is called L'Arolay.

The other restaurant by the Spar is probably Cafe Bagus.

The Bagus Cafe is in Tignes Lac above the Spar supermarket and their sister restaurant in Tignes Val Claret is called Pignatta the higher altitude bit of Val Claret.
Marmottes Restaurant is on the piste near the bottom of the Borsat Express and Marmottes Chairlifts in the Bellevarde secteur of Val d'isere.
There are too many good restaurants in Espace Killy to name and some poor ones.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I liked Marmottes too - nice food and ambience, lovely smell of woodsmoke from the open fire.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monium, The Le Signal that we visited was the self service; I am far too tight for the upstairs ! I also found that I could`nt ski after eating more than soup or salad; I made the mistake of eating a very nice and large lasagne and chips at Dacha on Solaise, and just wanted to go to sleep. ( 13 euros for the lasagne ) In contrast, a lasagne at Tignes les Brevieres in one of the restaurants was 18 euros. We left it alone and headed up to the good value of Les Marmottes. How does food cost so much more in a much more accessible location? Is it 30% better tasting?
I`m feeling a bit sad at being back; anticlimax time.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great info on this thread snowheads! Cool snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If eating in Tignes les Brevieres avoid the piste side places & walk for a couple of mins towards the church - much cheaper. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
welshflyer wrote:
Monium,

There are two restaurants in Le Signal in Le Fornet, at the top of the cable car. There is the self service part on the ground floor and upstairs there is a small very expensive waiter service restaurant where you go for a 2.5 hour relaxing lunch.

Was the other restaurant in Le Fornet just along the main road towards Val d'isere, not on the mountain, if it was it is called L'Arolay.

The other restaurant by the Spar is probably Cafe Bagus.

The Bagus Cafe is in Tignes Lac above the Spar supermarket and their sister restaurant in Tignes Val Claret is called Pignatta the higher altitude bit of Val Claret.
Marmottes Restaurant is on the piste near the bottom of the Borsat Express and Marmottes Chairlifts in the Bellevarde secteur of Val d'isere.
There are too many good restaurants in Espace Killy to name and some poor ones.

That explains it. Avoid the upstairs is my advice then - we'd assumed it was just a bar downstairs but should have checked. We didn't do a 2.5hr relaxing lunch Smile

Arolay is correct, you have to walk down the road to get to it. Worth the walk IMO.

It could well have been the Bagus that we went in, location sounds about right.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sadly the smoking ban will have done away with the genius "cafe gentleman" at the Arolay which consisted of an espresso, a brandy and a small cigar all presented on a special tray Cool
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi,
just another heads up regarding the Le Palet in Tignes. It is by far the worst mountain restaurant we have been too, dreadful food, overpriced, the hot food was cold, the salad was old (mouldy lettuce) and the service from the owner and her team was rude and beyond a joke.
Avoid at all cost!
Chris.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^ we popped in there to use the loos, and they were disgusting.
snow report
Had amazing lunches a couple of weeks ago at L'edelweiss near the bottom of the blue coming down into Le Fornet. Could not fault it in anyway. Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy