Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Closure of SKI ROSSENDALE is closer

Poster: A snowHead
thanks to Wigan for the info;

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/news/business/8740197.Future_of_Ski_Rossendale_hanging_in_balance/

Future of Ski Rossendale hanging in balance 8:30pm Wednesday 15th December 2010

THE future of Ski Rossendale is hanging in the balance after desperate attempts to find private investment have failed.

The artificial ski slope which has been losing £100,000 a year is now under threat as the government announce cuts to Rossendale Council’s budget of £2.4million.

Councillor Jason Gledhill, portfolio holder for leisure, said: “We are having to make some very tough decisions and it is clear that among them we have to take a serious look at the future of Ski Rossendale.

“I know it is an iconic feature for the area and has helped put Rossendale on the map. But the reality is that our efforts over the last few years to try to attract the funds it needs to help it survive and prosper have come to nothing.

“Given our current funding concerns we have to be able to justify every penny we spend and in that context, when people are losing their jobs and other services and funds are being cut it is hard to make a special case for Ski Rossendale.”

Earlier this month the Lancashire Telegraph reported how plans to sell the ski centre had gone back to the drawing board after the submissions of two preferred bidders were found to be ‘unviable’.

Ski Rossendale has been badly hit by the opening of the skiing centre Chill Factor near Manchester.

A report looking at various options for the 40-year-old facility including its closure will go before the Cabinet in January
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

The artificial ski slope which has been losing £100,000 a year is now under threat as the government announce cuts to Rossendale Council’s budget of £2.4million.

apparently ski ross breaks even but they have to pay £100,000 back to the managing leisure trust each year ! thats where the 100k loss figure comes from.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I notice that Chill Factore are also in trouble. They have refinanced again. Now doing 2 for 1 and £10 for 2 hours in mornings. The slope is looking very quiet at times and a number of the instructors are on short time. At least Chill are trying to drum up business with special offers and good luck to them.
Who would benefit if Ski Ross closes? Chill, Halifax, Sheffield, Xscape, (might be a good time for these centres to offer Ski ross members a 'deal') assuming that Ski ross is doomed.
sad Sad
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marketing....Marketing......Marketing.

And Marketing.

Plain and simple.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevindonkleywood wrote:
Marketing....Marketing......Marketing.

And Marketing.

Plain and simple.

thought you might all find the blurb from the leisure trust which 'runs' ski ross amusing

1 month ago
"The northwest’s biggest and best outdoor ski slope, Ski Rossendale has 3 exciting ski slopes. The Dendex Main Slope of 200m is accessed by 2 drag lifts and has the country's best Snowflex quarterpipe. The permanent Snowflex Fun Park has jumps to suite all abilities, a box and flat learner rail, as well as a gnarly flat/down handrail. The gentle Nursery Slope is for lessons only and has 2 Rope Tows and a Travelator Lift.

today
"One of the country’s first artificial ski slopes could be closed in three months if new funding isn’t found. Rossendale Borough Council confirmed that it is ‘considering the long-term future’ of Ski Rossendale in the wake of government spending cuts. There is no funding beyond March 2011 and the centre will close."

So if its down to government spending cuts and they are a result of the deficit, which is a direct result of the wreckless
financial Toofy Grin system, then its the skiing 'cavalier bankers' of London who have done for us, whilst they still head off to the real stuff in the Alps.....hooray!! oiks shouldn't ski anyway......ha.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Easy for me to say this as I don't live anywhere near Rossendale, but here goes anyway.

If a place can't attract enough paying customers to meet the bills, why should the rest of the tax-paying population be asked to prop it up for the benefit of the few who do use it? And, yes, I make the same argument for many other subsidised facilities that should be able to pay their way - Opera, theatre, swimming pools - I'm looking at you!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
yeh yeh, i dont want to pay hospital bills for smokers (cos i dont smoke) dont want to pay taxes to maternity units + dont want to pay tax for schools (no kids) dont want to pay tax towards public transport (cos i drive) dont want my taxes to support council swimming pools, football pitches, playgrounds cos they lose money and i dont use them.....
There are a thousand arguments for and against why 'the tax paying population' aka 'the daily mail brigade' should not pay for this and that, but in the end it comes down to being part of a society. Ski Ross has been around for 40 years as a regional facility, a sports facility, countless young skiers have learnt here (did you read the Ralph Little profile in skigb mag), disabled groups use it (cant afford chill factore), etc etc, families use it (who cant afford chill)

It all depends if you think skiing/snowboarding should be accessible to all or just for the financially able minority.

and finally ask anyone who knows the history of the facility and they will tell you the council leached the money in the golden years and then failed to develop the slope, now they blame chill factore and government cuts. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonny Jones, I think your point is a valid one, but the underlying cause of the woes is not the quality of the facilities, the dedication of the staff or the level of interest that people would have in going to the slope.

The problem is that most dry slopes are tied to utterly useless Local Council run marketing departments and are shackled into council websites that are poorly (if at all) maintained by people in another departments who could not care less about the facility. Most 12 yr olds could author better webpages than the bulk of councils (IMHO)

Also most of the 'bills' and 'losses' that consign these slopes to history are not at all connected with the actual running costs of the slopes but are to do with the way the councils spread the overhead costs of their own hugely inefficent sports and recreation departments.

herrprentler,'s point about the 100k 'overhead' that they pay seems to support this being the case for Rossendale.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Jonny Jones wrote:
why should the rest of the tax-paying population be asked to prop it up for the benefit of the few!

The government has neglected to acknowlege we are doing this for far more than leisure industries.... I would choose to support opera or syncronised bubble blowing in the deep end of the pool rather than some of the stuff my tax cash goes to. Unfortunatly untill the actual government becomes "real time" and works on a vote for everything rather than a set of broken promises and policies they will just select the least popular group to upset based on vote losses
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
herrprentler, You make a good point about the social mix of people that ski plastic.

There is an expression 'too posh for plastic' and also 'too snobby for snowflex'.

The loss of any facility such as this is tragic because it denies access to a large subset of the population who would otherwise probably never ski.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
herrprentler wrote:
and finally ask anyone who knows the history of the facility and they will tell you the council leached the money in the golden years and then failed to develop the slope

Typical !

Bunch of tits, probably sitting with a fat cigar deciding with no knowlege that anyone will build a bigger or better facility in the future
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Is it too little too late.
Perhaps the council read 'snowheads'............because................
Ski Ross website has been updated this morning to say it is OPEN....(now thats never happened before!)

Its snowed all last night and its snowing now. Kids club is on this morning then its open skiing/snowboarding this affer.........come on up and have a great time.

The motorway is open into Rawtenstall. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm going to give it a try this afternoon for the first time, if I can get my car out of the road I live on...
The snow last night missed Yad Moss and further north, but tonnes around here snowHead
Will post photos later
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sunnbuel, Very Happy Very Happy , that will be the snowHead 's 'Black op's' unit
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sunnbuel, are you sure it's open from the M66 side? BBC travel and traffic england say A56 is shut from M66.
Maybe I'll go around and drop in from the M65.

Edit: M6/ M65 looking messy too now. Sods law we now have too much snow...
latest report
Sunnbuel (and others) - the staff members at Ski Rossendale (not council employees) do monitor snowheads. We regularly update the website and fb when we have messages to relay to our customers.

If you have any comments or suggestions which we can deal with on the 'shop floor' level then please feel free to contact us through snowheads, fb or using the email link on the main website.

Hope to see you all on the slopes soon!
snow report
skiross, that's great, thanks for replying.
Could you post a link to where you are on FB? I couldn't find you.
Thanks
snow report
wigan, http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages&tid=1431042511112#!/profile.php?id=1109385793
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, i tried the link, i cant find skiross on facebook and the link does not work..............help

wigan, yep, roads were open and skiing was great, volunteers cleared the paths and some of the carpark

skiross, nice to hear from you, but i have got to say you don't keep ontop of that website. People need to see it changing almost daily. Thats why snowheads like snowheads forums, always something new.

anyone going up on sunday? Very Happy
ski holidays
linso, hm, just type in Ski Rossendale into the search box. Sorry about the link Sad
snow conditions
Shimmy Alcott, thanks , think i have got it now, sent them a message.
Blush
ski holidays
You can use Shimmy Alcott, 's link a shorter version of which is: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1109385793
If you search on the term you get a few options and it's not clear which is the official one

linso well that's the last time I pay any attention to the traffic websites... BBC was convinced the A-road from the M66 was closed. Took me all afternoon to dig the car out anyway (ok slight exaggeration...) rolling eyes will certainly head over tomorrow
snow report
linso well that's the last time I pay any attention to the traffic websites... BBC was convinced the A-road from the M66 was closed. Took me all afternoon to dig the car out anyway (ok slight exaggeration...) rolling eyes will certainly head over tomorrow[/quote]

Wigan this is what you will find.

[img]

[/img]

see you up there Very Happy
snow report
skiross wrote:
Sunnbuel (and others) - the staff members at Ski Rossendale (not council employees) do monitor snowheads. We regularly update the website and fb when we have messages to relay to our customers.

Hope to see you all on the slopes soon!

hi guys, there is no update on your website or facebook today - are you open? is the car park open? etc etc Come on step up to the mark if you want to keep your jobs! Puzzled
latest report
sunnbuel, that is indeed what I found Smile

I was really impressed with the place, and rather ashamed it's taken me that long to visit. Ok the real-live-snow can't be a regular feature, but the staff were very friendly, everywhere was pretty clean and tidy, and only a bit tired around the edges. The cafe was excellent e.g. pie, peas and gravy for £2, warm, cozy and well cared for. The slope itself felt a lot longer than Chillfactore and was more interesting, especially today with the snow making for fast bits then the brakes coming on when you hit a bare plastic bit again... A bit of a park for those who like that sort of thing.

But...
There was virtually nobody there Sad
By my estimate that max. people on site (including staff, families in the cafe, people on slope) was never in danger of hitting 100 between 11.30 and 2pm today. I asked the guy at the top of the lift about that and he said all the regular lessons had been cancelled (staff? roads? I'm not sure why) so there were few people on the slope. He seemed quite optimistic and was dismissive of the closure rumours. But I'm not sure they can have even covered their costs today Puzzled

So Very Happy big praise for Ski Rossendale staff Very Happy
And come on other NW snowheads like me who had never been before Embarassed go and have some fun (and a pie) snowHead

Photos may appear in the next post...
snow report
Sorry for the small size, I don't know how to make them appear larger! But if you click they should enlarge.

Lovely view but where is everybody?!

ski holidays
Lovely view but where is everybody?!

in tesco or asda?

but seriously - on saturday there were several boarders and skiers who normally use chill. It was their first visit to ski rossi and they LOVED the slope. The main comment was how much wider it was than Chill and much much more interesting. They were less impressed with just one lift working (but queues not bad). Also they loved the setting and views - also the top value cosy cafe. (no costa prices here!!)

the most interesting thing i found out? - these guys heard about ski rossi whilst reading the rossendale threads on SNOWHEADS!!!!! and thought they would give it a go.

They reckoned it took them 25 mins from home (urmston area to ski rossi)

glad you all enjoyed it.

Very Happy
snow report
wigan,
so glad you enjoyed it, i spotted this on the ski ross website and thought it was a good offer that you might not have seen.

Bank Holiday Promo Days

Ski & snowboard taster sessions, tubing and extreme tubing at just £3.00 per person, per activity. Recreational slope use just £5 per person.
Boxing Day 12.00 - 5.00pm

Monday 27th, Tuesday 28th December 10.00am - 4.00pm

Monday 3rd January 10.00am - 4.00pm

ALL SESSIONAL ACTIVITIES ARE 50 MINUTE SESSIONS AND MUST BE PREBOOKED

I have checked and the £5 is for unlimited slope use on that day - including hire!! Razz
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt to ski at Rossendale and then did my race training there with Uni. I still prefer it to Chill and I always advise beginners who are coming out to go to a dry slope as it's always easier on the pocket!
I hope it stays open as I think it's a great oppurtunity for people to get into snowsports without spending a small fortune, but their marketing does need a lot of work.
snow report
Thats only a couple of miles from a factory I supplied some chemical dosing kit to about 15 years back....

Not been back since though. Sunderland dry slope is my closest.

Hope they survive - a friend had her first dry ski taster session on Sunday and loved it - but that was in Southampton. Dry slopes do have a place in skiing.
latest report
Its about 45mins from me but never thought about going when there's snow, given the lack in the North Pennines might have to give it a try.
latest report
victoriac wrote:
I learnt to ski at Rossendale and then did my race training there with Uni. I still prefer it to Chill and I always advise beginners who are coming out to go to a dry slope as it's always easier on the pocket!
I hope it stays open as I think it's a great oppurtunity for people to get into snowsports without spending a small fortune, but their marketing does need a lot of work.

Latest news and a glimmer of hope;

Rossendale Council has agreed to listen to any suggestions from ski slope staff about the future of Ski Rossendale, including the possibility of setting up a social enterprise.
The Council, which faces a cut of 22.8 per cent from its Central Government Grant, is struggling to save the ailing artificial ski slope, which costs the Council more than £100,000 a year to operate.

On a slippery slope?
Skier takes to the slope at Ski Rossendale.
Jason Gledhill, Portfolio Holder for Leisure says the Council would happily work with a social enterprise if it meant saving the ski slope.

"We are looking at all the options for the future of Ski Rossendale because it needs substantial investment and it is losing money at a time when we need to make massive across the board cuts. The Council's efforts over the last few years to try to attract the funds it needs to help it survive and prosper have come to nothing," says Cllr Gledhill.

The 40-year-old Ski Rossendale has been losing money for several years and costs the Council more than £100,000 a year to operate. The impact of the multi-million pound Chill Factor in Manchester in 2007 has been dramatic. In 2006/7 there were over 108,000 visits and this has dropped to just under 43,000 in 2009/10.

More info to be posted soon.
ski holidays
sunnbuel,
hi, where did you get the info, have you got insider knowledge?
There seems to be a groundswell of opinion in favour of rescuing the slope.
I also heard about the instructor/user buy out. It makes sense as long as the council don't expect silly money.
It sounds really exciting.

Just one thing though - i have not seen anything about the Ski Rossendale plight on the Skiclub of GB website. I assume they know about it. Is it too far 'north' to be of concern? ha

Puzzled
latest report
herrprentler,
i think you are right about the Skiclub website. Its a new version and under the news section, if you look at UK, there is NO news. I think that the UK ski community in general looks abroad and neglects their sport in the UK itself. I noticed Chill Factore in manchester have had yet another change of senior management. I think it must be demotivating for those who are trying to ancourage grass roots skiing/snowboarding with youngsters up and down the country on dry slopes/indoor slopes/Scotland etc. Not sure if there is an answer to the situation.
snow report
did any of you lot spot this offer?

Ski Rossendale ‎26th/27th/28th/3rd ski or board for the day for a fiver or if you've got someone who fancies trying it out, tasters and tubing are only 3 quid per person

Sounds like Ski Ross are starting to make an effort. Toofy Grin
snow report
Great deal! Thanks for spotting that herrprentler, I'm away over that period or I'd go back for sure.
ski holidays
Herrpentler.

I think it's futher up the thread, but hey, more quote for Ski Rossendale means more Google results for dry slope skiing in Lancashire.

It did say Boxing Day 12 to 5, I'm working that day, assuming they mean 26th, which isn't actually boxing day, I think Tuesday is, depending on which view you take.

but 10 till 4 for the other days

Smart promotional.
snow conditions
thirty06,
yep, it was opent today and had 6cms of fresh snow on compacted - ptretty good fun
open tues as well for a fiver
Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:
[quote=],
hi, where did you get the info, have you got insider knowledge?
There seems to be a groundswell of opinion in favour of rescuing the slope.
I also heard about the instructor/user buy out. It makes sense as long as the council don't expect silly money.
It sounds really exciting.
Puzzled
[/quote]
Not insider, but i believe there is a campaign brewing to save the slope and i noticed they have activated twitter and facebook sites for ski_rossendale and ski rossendale
they seem to be keeping them up to date and thats not happened before
snow report
sunnbuel,
SkiRossendale was very busy today, it was really nice to see. I think probably a combination of the £5 ski deal, £3 taster sessions and the improved communication (facebook and twitter) seems to have made a difference. There were loads of families. Mixture of skiers and boarders. I really hope the place keeps going. Its so great to be outside looking at the hills as you ski. Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy