Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Narrow lower leg problem

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have rather narrow lower leg, as a result otherwise perfect boots (the foot, including the heel, fits perfectly) are very loose. My upper buckle is usually tightened till the end and it still feels a bit loose. Few questions:

1. Can I buy some pads for the lower leg part to put on my liner ?
2. Can I replace the liner (I have Nordica boots) with another one, with thicker shin ?
3. If I decide to buy new boots, what brand and model should I try ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
demiurg, Your buckles may be on the last catch of the ratchet just now but have you checked to see if you can move the position of the ratchet?

Most boots have the ratchet part of the clips held on with an allen bolt from underneath or on top, You should easily be able to remove this and check where it is set, if you look carefully you will see the plastic of the cuff should have various mounting places for the ratchet part of the clip. It may well be that the clips have never been properly adjusted for your calf size.

EDIT: Just checked my old boots which were nordica speedmachine 8's and there are 3 distinct mounting points for the rachets of your top clips, mine which were never adjusted when I bought them are set at the mid position so I suggest if you have never moved yours then they will also be in the same position and that will mean you have the option to move them to the tighter position. It may be that an allen key and 5 mins may hopefully help out here.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 18-12-10 0:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
P.S. Welcome to snowheads Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
demiurg, I had the same problem. Boots fit like a treat round the foot and heel but feel my legs rattling around even with the buckles ratcheted right up (suspect this might be common with very tall people - I have a 36" inseam and my calf muscle doesn't really start until above the cuff of the boot). You can do as kevindonkleywood says and check to see if it's possible to adjust the buckles but in my experience, if you tighten the boots up this much they tend to become seriously difficult to flex. You can obviously replace the liner which might help and I have seen some shin pad type inserts (in Ellis Brigham though sure you can get them elsewhere) which stick to the inside of the tongue which would also probably help.

For a cheap solution though, get yourself a packet of spongey kitchen cloths for about a quid and stick a layer or two to the outside of the liner to bulk them up a bit - might need to fiddle with it to get it right but worked a treat for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had a problem in the same area with an old pair of boots in which the liner had packed out.I got the inserts frankm mentioned (Eliminators i think they were called ) from EB and was surprisingly impressed with them.I tried moving the ratchets first but had to really crank up the clips to get any kind of fit.Used the inserts for quite a while until i replaced my boots.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
1Yes, either eliminator tongue pads, or boot fit foam fitted in areas to the top of the cuff of the liner
2Yes, zip fit, palau, intuition, conformable etc all make aftermarket liners, soem are thicker than others, just depends on the rest of the fit as well as to which will work best
3No idea without seeing your feet and legs

alos a spoiler plate fitted to the back of the boot will help get your COM in the right place, if your calf is that small you will be back of where you should be, clips can also be moved beyond where the predrilled holes are

hope that helps
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Any idea where these pads that many mentioned can be bought online ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
for eliminator pads try ellis brigham, fitting foam, probably any ski shop will sell you a bit
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy