Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Oakley Lens Choice

Poster: A snowHead
been lurking for a bit but I need some advice.

This year I will be wearing goggles in all conditions for the first time due to wearing a helmet. In the past I have worn sunnies or yellow lensed cheapo goggles. Due to my fat nose and need to fit well with my helmet I'm fairly limited on goggle choice but I have found that Oakley A frames fit best. However I can only justify the cost of one pair.

Therefore my question is, if you could only have either the VR28 or Persimmon lenses which would the best for all conditions? Can you use either in all conditions from a bluebird day to a blizzard and if not which is best during an average week in the mountains? Doe anyone else just use one of these lenses?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My crowbars have a persimmon lens. I find them fine in all conditions except when it is really overcast and dark and you need a clear lens really. I don't find them too bright for sunny days personally.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with troublemaker on persimmon - I use mine pretty much all the time and they were fine in bright sun and flat light last week in Tignes.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have both and I'd say Persimmons by a long way, I only use VR28 for sunny days. Persimmons is fine for the rest of the time.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
persimmons are the way to go
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Persimmons, Oakley have a really good lense selector on their website. At www.twoseasons.co.uk they have loads of good styles of Oakleys as well as Von Zippers, the Pork Chop are quite wide on the face.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
KellySmith wrote:
At www.twoseasons.co.uk they have loads of good styles of Oakleys as well as Von Zippers, the Pork Chop are quite wide on the face.

That has got to be the worst retail website I have ever had the misfortune to visit. When you click on the goggles they don't even mention which lenses you are getting, just the colour of the frames. Terrible.

Thanks everyone else for your help, looks like the Persimmons are the way to go. I'll tell you were I have found a secret stash of cheap ones after I've got mine. Don't want them going out of stock. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Flet©h, Just picked up some spare O-Frame and Splice lenses from www.snowfusion.co.uk. Got a high intensity yellow iridium for real flat light conditions. They arrived last week within 48hrs of me ordering them Smile . Prices seem to be the same as Oakleys official site. Couldn't fault the service and i would use them again. Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Flet©h, why not just wear your sunglasses as per normal? That's what I do unless something is coming down out of the sky.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I knackered the "arms" of my sunglasses by wearing them with my helmet. Also I find my eyes stream like crazy when it's cold and I'm going fast if I have sunglasses on. I've lost many a contact lens this way, so now it's goggles all the time for me. Apart from lunch stops Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
+1 for the persimmons.

A guy who I skied with last season had some VR28 Polarised lenses in his Crowbars

http://www.theinternetopticians.co.uk/oakley-snow-goggle-lenses/oakley-crowbar-accessory-and-replacement-lens-vr28-polarised_p-1160.html

He said that they were excellent also, particularly when you skied from the light into the share and vice versa. Was looking at them myself, but they are pretty pricey at £80 - 100 (if you can track them down) rolling eyes Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Persimmon lens let in too much for me last week (with jonm) so I changed to Gold Iridium. I wouldn't limit myself to persimon only
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Flet©h wrote:

Therefore my question is, if you could only have either the VR28 or Persimmon lenses which would the best for all conditions? Can you use either in all conditions from a bluebird day to a blizzard and if not which is best during an average week in the mountains?

Thanks

This means you will need something from the Oakley range with about 30-40% light transmission - VR28 is for mid to bright light at 14% light transmission index; the only lens that Oakley do in that range is the VR50 Emerald Iridium at 30% light transmission, VR50 Pink Iridium at 41% light transmission, Blue Iridium at 30%; G30 at 30%.

I personally have loved the Blue Iridium, which uses a VR28 base but with a blue iridium coating. Difficult to find in a goggle as standard lens, but there are 2 men's models with Blue Iridium lenses

This Crowbar model

[/url]http://www.oakley.com/products/3266/24422[url]

and this A Frame model

http://www.oakley.com/products/1331/24252[/url]
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flet©h wrote:

Therefore my question is, if you could only have either the VR28 or Persimmon lenses which would the best for all conditions? Can you use either in all conditions from a bluebird day to a blizzard and if not which is best during an average week in the mountains?

Thanks

This means you will need something from the Oakley range with about 30-40% light transmission - VR28 is for mid to bright light at 28%% light transmission index; the only lens that Oakley do in that range is the VR50 Emerald Iridium at 30% light transmission, VR50 Pink Iridium at 41% light transmission, Blue Iridium at 30%; G30 at 30%.

I personally have loved the Blue Iridium, which uses a VR28 base but with a blue iridium coating. Difficult to find in a goggle as standard lens, but there are 2 men's models with Blue Iridium lenses

This Crowbar model

http://www.oakley.com/products/3266/24422

and this A Frame model

http://www.oakley.com/products/1331/24252
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Interchangable lenses sound a good idea - do you have to buy a set of goggles that have been specifically designed with this in mind to make the changing process easy, or can you do it with all Oakleys (and maybe other manufacturers)?
snow report
Most goggle manufacturers allow you to swap lenses - the premium manufacturers all have this, esp Oakley, VonZipper, Anon, Electric etc. I have numerous pairs of Electric goggles, and numerous lenses.
snow report
Megamum wrote:
Flet©h, why not just wear your sunglasses as per normal? That's what I do unless something is coming down out of the sky.
Makes sense but sunnies and a helmet is a massive fashion faux pas and since I'm going to Val d'isere that isn't really acceptable. Cool (I will be keeping the glasses in my backpack just in case it gets too bright, I'll have make sure nobody sees me though.)

Megamum wrote:
Interchangable lenses sound a good idea - do you have to buy a set of goggles that have been specifically designed with this in mind to make the changing process easy, or can you do it with all Oakleys (and maybe other manufacturers)?
AFAIK Oakley goggles have replaceable lenses. You can get and fit new lenses but it's not something you would do on a chair lift. "replacing" the lenses too often would also risk damaging the goggles.

To the people who have suggested the higher end lenses; I see the benefit but the budget won't stretch beyond the bottom of the range. So persimmon it is.
snow report
Flet©h, I couldn't get my lens to clip back in last week, several blokes "had a go" and couldn't do it either. Jerry fixed it for me - def not one for the chair lift.

How would "replacing the lense too often" risk damaging the goggles? They are designed to interchange Puzzled
ski holidays
holidayloverxx wrote:
Flet©h,How would "replacing the lense too often" risk damaging the goggles? They are designed to interchange Puzzled
I've heard they are designed to be replaceable I.e when one lens breaks you can get replacements or if you decide you want a different lens in that frame you can switch them. However they are not designed to be interchanable, frequently changing based on the conditions. If you change them too much you risk damaging the lugs. (plus it's not something you want to rely on being able to do on the mountain if the conditions change, as you have experienced.
snow conditions
Flet©h, Hmmm, not how they were sold to me
latest report
These are proper interchangable lenses: http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/s1-s3-screen-900-otg-47593044/ I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole as they seem very flimsy. (and they didn't fit).
snow report
Flet©h, I swap the lenses in my A frames a lot, I have not damaged the lugs. I have Persimmon, Black Iridium and Clear lenses for them.
ski holidays
I've used Oakley goggles for years and swap lenses all the time - never an issue. You just need to make sure that you don't touch the inside of the lens, because it mucks up the anti fog coating - just stick your hand in the goggle bag and use it like a glove to change lenses. After a few goes it gets a lot easier to swap them over.

Usually have a persimmon, hi blue, and black iridium, and that covers anything, but persimmon is the go to lens.
latest report
I swap between a Persimmon lense and a Gold Irridium lense in my A frames. Not a real hastle but best done in the warmth of the chalet or during a drink stop when the plastic is more maliable than on the chairlift. I cracked my Persimmon lense last year doing it at minus whatever so will take more care this year...
ski holidays
Is it not easier to carry a second set of goggles? The lens makes up the majority cost of the goggles so not much extra to fork out for a second pair.
snow report
halfhand, I'm from Yorkshire, 'nuff said. wink
snow conditions
Ski Tyke, you'll have put some glue over that crack then rather than buy a replacement wink
latest report
Pink Iridum for the low light days and Fire Iridium for the Blule birds
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've salvaged a small piece of sellotape from an early Christmas pressie delivery. Worked a treat! Cool
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Is it not easier to carry a second set of goggles? The lens makes up the majority cost of the goggles so not much extra to fork out for a second pair.

No, I don't like to carry a pack
snow report
Don't need a back pack for one spare set of goggles surely Puzzled .

One pair of goggles on helmet, spare goggles in the special pocket inside my ski jacket or mid-layer. Phone in one pocket, wallet and id in another, other sundry items including sunglasses Cool scattered around remaining pockets and pouches. No back pack - job's a good un Toofy Grin Just the way I do it and seems to work for me (well I will do it if and when I get a second pair of goggles wink )

Only carried a back pack around once before and apart from finding it a bit of a faff, I ended up carrying around my mate's water, suncream , spare hat etc.. Mad A complete PITA

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 17-12-10 13:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Flet©h, I ski in A Frames with 3 lens configurations, Persimmon for every day all round use, VR28 with Blue Iridium coating for bluebird/ bright days, and a yellow lens for flat light foggy days, excellent combination. I have a hardshell case and carry the 2 spare lenses in there inside my backpack. Dont try swapping lenses on piste, pull into a bar/ cafe/ lift station and do it in relative comfort, only taked 2 mins but a hassle with cold hands.

One other tip, on the VR28 and Persimmon I have paid extra and gone for polarized lenses, makes a MASSIVE difference, shows up snow surface definition and they are brilliant. Give Abi a call at the following, mail order and great service, good prices too:-

http://www.london-eyewear.co.uk

Highly recommended, 100% happy with this combo.
Very Happy
snow report
Flet©h, By the way my wife skies in same lens configuration but with a smoky grey lens for bluebird days, she prefers this lens...........worth considering
snow conditions
halfhand wrote:
Don't need a back pack for one spare set of goggles surely Puzzled .

One pair of goggles on helmet, spare goggles in the special pocket inside my ski jacket or mid-layer. Phone in one pocket, wallet and id in another, other sundry items including sunglasses Cool scattered around remaining pockets and pouches. No back pack - job's a good un Toofy Grin Just the way I do it and seems to work for me (well I will do it if and when I get a second pair of goggles wink )

Only carried a back pack around once before and apart from finding it a bit of a faff, I ended up carrying around my mate's water, suncream , spare hat etc.. Mad A complete PITA

I'm the same as you - stuff my pockets, but there's no way I could get a pair of goggles in any of mine - let me know how you get on wink .
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Where do you put your sunglasses (for lunch stops), shovel, probe, water, marsbars, extra layers, spare gloves, headtorch, survival foil blanket, spare batteries for tranceiver etc?................you must have big pockets!!

Also no ABS rucksack? Seriously a 15L rucksack, decent make (Ortovox, Dakine Deuter etc) doesnt have to be bulky, I hate pockets stuffed with stuff, much prefer a backpack.......no hassle on lifts. Toofy Grin
latest report
Markymark29, Thats why there's no room for spare goggles wink

My pockets aren't actually overstuffed - I take very little up.

Jacket Pocket left side: ski lock & glove liners
Jacket Pocket right side: wallet
Jacket breast pocket left hand: piste map
Inside jacket pocket: insurance details
Sleeve pocket: lift pass
Trouser pockets: tissues, lip balm, phone, sunscreen

I will admit that I had to ask Eeyore to carry my sunnies i her pack last week, but that was in case I couldn't get the goggles lens in at all - then I never used them.
snow report
holidayloverxx, My wife would have me pull one of these about if she could find a way of replacing the wheels with snow-blades, then I could carry everything we need for a day out!!

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_724057_langId_-1_categoryId_165542

Only joking Very Happy
ski holidays
Markymark29, Laughing
latest report
I couldn't carry a spare set of goggles in my pocket, the first yard sale of the day would probably smash them into a million pieces Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy