Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Travel Disruption

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I hope all those *"+@:XStupi&@#*** who wished for snow all over the UK are happy now.

Twasn't anyone I know in Scotlandpam w, we're well sick of it. "A place for everything, and everything in its place"
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I do wonder though how damaging the dogged insistence that climate change must always mean wetter milder winters in future, has been for winter transport planning over the last 15 years

I don't recall any dogged insistence, from any remotely credible body, on the inevitability of milder winters in future. Sounds like an Aunt Sally.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Aunt Sally Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Peter S wrote:
Aunt Sally Puzzled

When I lived in the Cotswolds there were Aunt Sally leagues in the local pubs, you had to knock the head off a large doll with a stick.
An Aunt Sally is a weak argument deliberately set up, to be knocked down.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Oh I see snowHead

The BBC, Environment Agency and Deffra are faintly credible bodies and they have been preaching this stuff for years. Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
"... first off the snow has to happen"

Slightly wide of the mark on that obviously.... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nozawaonsen wrote:
"... first off the snow has to happen"

Slightly wide of the mark on that obviously.... wink

Laughing

well I'm now hoping that all the snow will happen today which gives Gatwick 2 days to get the runway clear.

Sorry to all snowHead travelling today.

Good luck to us all.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowlamb, much less precipitation on the radars over the next couple of days - looks like it could be fine for you by Monday.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
snowlamb, much less precipitation on the radars over the next couple of days - looks like it could be fine for you by Monday.

I hope so. At the moment trying to decide whether to attempt the drive in our car with chains or get our chum to take us in his landrover. Will just watch the weather and see.

When are you planning on heading out?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just had an email from the couple who drove down to our apartment in Les Saisies overnight. He saide

"20 hours of continuos driving, we averaged 40 mph from home. I have never seen roads so bad with snow, we were stationary for over two hours 20miles south of calais, the police stopped all the lorries and stacked them up."

But he also said the sun was shining down there, the snow fantastic and nobody on the slope. So he decided to snowboard now and sleep later.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We fly out from Stansted on Monday, friend who is a pilot based out of there has said the weather isn't forecast to be too bad round that way over the next couple of days (just cold). She also said that Stansted is pretty good at keeping a clear runway, or getting it clear.

Fingers crossed.

Hope you get out there ok snowlamb, we're also in L2A from Monday (fingers crossed again!!)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

When are you planning on heading out?

we are booked on the tunnel on Wednesday morning, picking up son in Geneva 4 pm thursday, then back on Friday for more visitors....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Friends based on the south coast are driving at the moment. Took them hours to get the short journey home from work yesterday before setting off, missed their tunnel booking so had to take one at 4am (think they meant to get 10pm). They're now battling their way through France. We're awaiting an update.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite wrote:

Hope you get out there ok snowlamb, we're also in L2A from Monday (fingers crossed again!!)

Where are you staying? We're in the Provencal with at least one other snowHead family.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hotel Brunerie, under new management and been refurbished. As long as there's a bed and edible food I'm happy!

Since my last post we've had 5-6" of snow here. Hopefully my mum will be happy to drop us at the airport still as we planned (going tomorrow and staying at airport hotel over night.

Who do you fly with? We're flying with Thomson, have a friend who works for them who (probably won't like me saying this!) who has said that as a rule don't cancel flights. Just hope the airport is ok.
snow report
hammerite wrote:

Who do you fly with?

We're on a TO flight with Monarch. Their advice at the moment is to check with the TO who are now closed until 0900 tomorrow which is when we need to be at Gatwick.

It's just started to snow again in Havant so I am packing but not feeling very optimistic and suspect it quite likely that we will be spending some hours at the airport.
ski holidays
Quote:

Their advice at the moment is to check with the TO who are now closed until 0900 tomorrow

Shocked That's absurd. It's the busiest day of the year, with some of the worst travel disruption of the century. So much for the argument that travelling with a TO means you're not left to work things out for yourself. Hmm. snow here wasn't really forecast for today, was it.... snowing in Emsworth now. and ever

good luck, snowlamb and everybody. My son just decided to drive here from Somerset. I'm a nervous wreck.....
latest report
As if it wasn't already bad enough the M25 is now closed in both directions between 5 & 6 as an LPG tanker has overturned.
snow conditions
pam w,
Quote:

I'm a nervous wreck.....
Not surprised. Hope you've had at least one calming glass of wine by now.

Good luck, everyone. I still can't believe my luck not to have had the slightest disruption either last weekend or the one before.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

good luck, snowlamb and everybody. My son just decided to drive here from Somerset. I'm a nervous wreck.....

Pam

I hope he's arrived and that you can now stop worrying. Well at least stop worrying about his drive to you. Just your drive to France to think of then.

I'm flip/flopping between hope and dismay at the moment and still can't decide whether to risk it in our car or let our friend take us in his 4x4. Decisions, decisions. I keep telling myself we're lucky to even have the possibility of going on holiday and that lots of others have serious problems to worry about.....but it's not really working.
snow report
snowlamb, I'd let your friend take you. At least that will be one less stressful thing for you to cope with. From what I have been hearing, driving conditions generally are pretty awful (our son took over five hours yesterday to get from Milton Keynes to Mill Hill in London, a journey that normally takes about 40 minutes). Hope you get away on holiday anyway!
snow report
Hello all,

This is my first post here and I'd like to use it to say thank you for all the informed and enlightening posts regarding weather conditions and travel disruption. It really has made a difference for me already this winter and I have found that snowheads, coupled with raintoday is far more reliable then the BBC local forecasts!

On a side note - has anybody been through Northern France since Saturday?

A friend of mine took 24 hours to get to Morzine over Saturday which obviously was when the bulk of the snow fell and caused such issues. Does anybody know what the road conditions are like at the moment?

We are driving to CH early Tuesday morning. Please note that we are very well prepared and our 'only' concern is which route to take to the Rhone valley/Martigny!
snow report
This extract from the BBC made me smile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12034317

Sarah Randall, from Hertfordshire, said she was stranded at the airport with her husband, parents and three children - aged six to 11 - after their Cathay Pacific flight to Hong Kong was cancelled on Saturday morning.

She said they slept on the floor on Saturday night and that her children were still traumatised by the experience.

She complained: "The weather was beyond their control, I know, but my gripe is the disgraceful way all passengers have been treated and abandoned."

Long queues have developed at the Eurostar terminal at London's St Pancras station She said the family is now back at home after her husband walked through the snow to flag down a taxi on the M4 slip road but they are yet to find out if the £16,000 cost of their "dream trip" to Hong Kong and Bali will be refunded.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Back to the original poster, it seems that Thomson's flight from Gatwick to Grenoble is expected to land at 1300, so it looks like Snowlamb got away safely with a short delay. Cool
ski holidays
shaky, some friends drove from Calais to Les Deux Alpes yesterday. To Troyes it was pretty grim, heavy snow single carriageway open, but then improved from there. They arrived about 10pm last night which is I guess about 5 hours later than usual.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
shaky, some friends drove from Calais to Les Deux Alpes yesterday. To Troyes it was pretty grim, heavy snow single carriageway open, but then improved from there. They arrived about 10pm last night which is I guess about 5 hours later than usual.

Thanks for that Colin. I feared that was the likely scenario.

I suppose there's a slim chance that it has improved further if the delay has shifted from 12+ hrs on Saturday to only 5 yesterday. Any other updates are always appreciated (my mum's going to have a heart attack unless I can reassure her with at least 38.4 independent accounts stating that all will be ok in the end).
snow conditions
shaky, They lost a lot more time in the UK too before they ever got to France Sad
ski holidays
Anyone know what it's like on the roads around Calais and North Kent at the moment? Just booked ferry to go back to UK for crimble, which seemed wiser than trying to get flights (and wangle lift from LCY or similar), only to hear rumours of strong winds.

Odd weather here... dumping with snow yesterday afternoon... proper creaky snow. Then was +4C last night and peeing with rain. Now it's snowing again... proper white creaky snow on top of frozen mush.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
shaky, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

REALLY long queues for the Eurostar at St P - not only snaking back & forth in the terminal but out the side entrance, down to Euston Rd, in front of St P and back along the Euston Rd to the Novotel Sad Doesn't appear to be moving either.
snow conditions
Have just spoken to a friend who has spent the last 48 hours around Folkestone, Herne Bay and Maidstone. Apparently the M20 was single lane still this morning but free moving. Slip roads are pretty much untreated so anything off the beaten track is fairly dicey. The problem lies in whether or not the forecasted snow is bad this evening.

Fortunately I am in West Kent anyway where the roads were cleared by the Christmas shoppers yeterday.
snow conditions
shaky, thanks & welcome to sH.
I'd normally do A2/M2 rather than M20, but there's many options, even if I have to creep at 10mph along the old A2 thru the towns. Will pack the chains anyway probably need them to get on to the flyover ramp at Dover and up Jubilee Way... and to get out of the street after Christmas.
snow conditions
andy, I am coming from Tunbridge Wells so M20 is the tried and tested route for us. Have got the chains ready as it was a nightmare loading onto the Eurotunnel during the last bout of snow in February.
ski holidays
Having been quite glad to be flying from manchester rather than gatwick, my schadenfreude has bitten me on the ass...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1672146#1672146
latest report
Two terminals at Heathrow now closed, more snow apparently expected later from the South West, and St Pancras closed. Not good...
snow conditions
Queue for the Eurostar at St Pancras already back to Euston Road and along past the British Library. At least its a bit warmer today, a definite melt going on.
latest report
It's chaos on the trains too. I am on a Virgin train going back to Cheshire after a long weekend in London. My train was cancelled, lots of cancellations were showing on the departures board, so I jumped on an earlier train but this one is not going to my usual station. Just glad to be on it and have a seat though. Train is crowded, people standing, been declassified and no seat reservations apply. They are not even checking tickets. Euston concourse was looking like Heathrow.
ski holidays
ousekjarr wrote:
Back to the original poster, it seems that Thomson's flight from Gatwick to Grenoble is expected to land at 1300, so it looks like Snowlamb got away safely with a short delay. Cool

Must be one of the luckiest snowHead on the planet this week.

Our Monarch flight got off from Gatwick on the 20th with only a 20 minute delay, we had rain at resort level at the beginning of the week but by Weds evening this had turned to snow leaving us with great snow and even some sunshine at the end of the week (although bitterly cold temperatures).

Made it back home today after a 10 minute delay caused by headwinds.

Thanks to all on the weather outlook thread - I will remain an interested reader until our next trip.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy