Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt do's and don'ts please

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Zermatt at the start of April for a week. Only ever been for the day from Cervinia so have limited (i.e. almost none) knowledge.

Would appreciate some do's and don'ts. We are staying at the Hotel Perren which is near the Sunnegga lift but I gather very near the bus stop.

All advice welcome. We will have a car so need some info about that as Zermatt is car free. The hotel recommends Parking Christophe. Also is a day trip to Saas Fee worth considering ?

Many thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Take you credit card. Zermatt is expensive. Check the prices before you go in places.

The skiing is brilliant. If you are a good skier, then you've got a massive area to explore: beware that a lot of the old black runs are now classified as itineraries and technically off piste. The Sunnegga lift opens *very* early - when teaching there I used to make sure I was on the first lift (around 8am) so to get lots of skiing in before lessons started at 10. Between 9 and 10 the main valley lifts can get very busy.

Parking wise, you'll have to park at Tasch and get the train up. Lots of places to park there (Tasch is basically a massive car-park with a few hotels attached), if the hotel have a deal with a certain place, then great, but do check the cost of the main (covered) garage: it's not that bad.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You have to leave your car in Tasch, get a taxi or the train to Zermatt and elektro-taxi to your hotel. Quite inconvenient, but this cannot be avoided.

Do:
- Plan your day a little, the area is a bit spread out (but well connected by lifts);
- Book in advance for lunch at the top-restaurants at high season. Best mountain restaurants I came across: Stafelalp, several near Furi and the Smoked Salmon-restaurant (!!!!) on the home run from Sunnega;
- Enjoy the Matterhorn-view whenever you can, it's very very very beautiful;
- Take the Gornergrat-train at least once, but don't use it every day;
- For apres ski, head for the piste-side hut with quite loud music near Furi, if you're back in Zermatt head to the Papperla Pub;

Don't:
- Go to Cervinia too often, you have been there and the skiing in Zermatt is better. You probably can buy the cheaper Zermatt-skipass;
- Spend too much on dining in the evening, the mountain restaurants are better;

I am sorry I can't recall all the names of the restaurants, I went two years ago.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Do: laugh at all the toffs.

Don't: be a snowboarder. You'll be treated like dirt.

Do: spend all day talking about the Matterhorn, and how lovely it is, and so on and so on.

Don't: be tricked into a buying a glass of Blue Nun put through a Soda Stream for 30CHF from a "Champagne" stall in the main square.

Do: have a look in the little church, it's quite pretty!

Don't: use the drag lift to get over to Cervinia, it takes literally an infinite amount of time.

Do: try to avoid being killed by an entirely silent "death taxi" being driven by a Swiss psychopath in a hurry.

Don't: tread in horse shit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Do - make sure you go to the toilet in Switzerland before going over to Cervinia
- go to the North Wall Bar
- get to the Kleine Matterhorn lift early to get up the mountain
- have a great time

Don't - go to MacDonalds
- rip your trousers and buy some new ones there (mucho expensive)
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Colin B wrote:
Do - make sure you go to the toilet in Switzerland before going over to Cervinia

This is very important advice, unless you enjoy squatting over an open sewer whilst vomiting uncontrollably.

The Italians are disgusting people, probably even worse than the Germans.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do not speed on the way there. The Swiss are extreme when it comes to speeding
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10960230
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
don't get frost-bite.

don't become psychologically traumatized when looking at prices (any prices).

do look out for the deer on the lifts.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Do be very careful walking around the town, the pavements are usually extremely icy and slippery (may not be a problem in April).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dsoutar,

Hi
New to the forum, but happened to see your post. We will be returning to the Hotel Perren for the 9th time this Winter. It suits us well for the combination of location and being we think very good value in what is undoubtedly an expensive village. It's a nice family run 3 star, no pool or anything like that but a small sauna area. The food is good and the half board option good value too by comparison with restaurant prices. The owners are very helpful and will reserve tables for lunch for you in the morning before you leave. Reservations are a good idea, particularly if you are in a group. The Sunnega lift station is about a 2 minute walk from the hotel, and the bus stop to the Klein Matterhorn lift is right there also.
We have found that the improvements in the lift system over the past few years mean that a good tip is to start on Sunnega every day and ski over to the other areas as you want to. It means you are out of the hotel and on the snow in 15 minutes or so, with a prompt start, as opposed to waiting in the queue for the Klein Matterhorn lifts and then sitting in bubbles for at least half an hour. It's a personal preference thing though
Just to put a bit more detail on Eyeopeners recommendations - I think the salmon restaurant he is talking about may be Ottmar's hutte - the owners I believe go fishing in Alaska and bring the fish over. Stafelalp is very nice as are any of the restaurants in Findeln (just below Sunnega). I think the bar below Furi he is talking about may be the Hennustall.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Do: Look in the shop windows and see outrageously priced stuff:

Yes that is a fountain pen selling for 223,100CHF Shocked
Don't get on the drag lift on the glacier (see above) Skullie
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scotsgirl wrote:
dsoutar,
Just to put a bit more detail on Eyeopeners recommendations - I think the salmon restaurant he is talking about may be Ottmar's hutte - the owners I believe go fishing in Alaska and bring the fish over. Stafelalp is very nice as are any of the restaurants in Findeln (just below Sunnega). I think the bar below Furi he is talking about may be the Hennustall.

You're correct with all this! Thank you (and welcome to snowHead !).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Freddie Paellahead, I hope that comes with ink supplied. Shocked

dsoutar, The best restaurant is the Zum See IMHO, but be sure to book for lunch. Chez Vronny is very good with a stunning view of the Matterhorn from the terrace but very busy.

The Hennustall is good fun for a bit of apres on the way back into town.

I wouldn't pay for the lift pass including Cervinia, especially as you've already been there. You can pay for a daily upgrade if you want to go over.

If you want to have a last drink at the Hennustall, then stop off first at the Zum See and sample the Mille Feuille first. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mr Technique wrote
Quote:

Do: try to avoid being killed by an entirely silent "death taxi" being driven by a Swiss psychopath in a hurry.

True, Little Angel but to be fair, the immense majority of the taxi drivers are not Swiss...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Also, at the beginning of April, I would recommend the Matterhorn Piste. It is absolutely stunning. Take the Furgsattel chairlift from Trockener Steg. After the first part of the slope, go as far left as possible where it is marked (don't do off-piste there as there are lots of crevasses).
ski holidays
Do: have a look around the graveyard at the church. Very interesting reading. (I kid you not.)

And very sobering.
snow conditions
Quote:

ould recommend the Matterhorn Piste. It is absolutely stunning

+1
snow conditions
SwissPat wrote:
Mr Technique wrote
Quote:

True, Little Angel but to be fair, the immense majority of the taxi drivers are not Swiss...

Mostly Italians from my recollection and they think they're driving Ferraris! wink
snow conditions
Do:
- take a camera

Don't:
-forget your camera
ski holidays
Do: Hope the Matterhorn isn't veiled by clouds all week !
latest report
Also off to Zermatt for the first time, any restaurant recommendations for the night in the village would be very welcome. Smile
latest report
Mr technique what a prat you are! The Italians are probably some of the nicest people in Europe, just beacause they still ahve FRENCH toilets in some resorts does not not give you a reason to abuse. Have you ever stood in a lift queue in Italy, whilst poeple are trying to get in front of you, it is done in a friendly way without any agrsseviness that goes with queues in the best places to ski in the world ie France and Austria
latest report
Quote:

twoodwar

The teppanyaki restaurant at the Hotel Albana is definatley a great laugh, it's not traditional swiss, and its pricey but makes a good change.

http://www.hotelalbanareal.com/en/restaurants-en/fuji-en/
ski holidays
Quote:

do look out for the deer on the lifts

Just shows how upmarket the place is, even the local wildlife have lift passes.

But a truly great place to visit, I've had two great holidays there. One or two restaurants on the mountain can get very busy, so it may be worth reserving tables for the best ones.
latest report
Thanks for all the advice so far. My wife and I are fairly decent skiers - the main difference being she likes an easy life and I like a challenge. We ski blacks fairly easily although I'm not a fabulous mogul skier and can manage off-piste.

Can anyone suggest good runs (don't have to be hard) and describe why they like them. I'm interested that from some comments that a few black runs have become itineraries. Having looked at the piste map there don't appear to be any of these marked unless I'm looking at an old map I was using this http://www.ski-zermatt.com/features/zermatt-skimap.html which has "unprepared but marked" as a classification. Is this what people were referring to ? If not, can someone post a link to a map that has these. Any special off-piste to consider (with a guide) ?

Thanks again
ski holidays
dsoutar, That piste map is out of date, as it doesn't have the new gondola from Furi to Riffelberg, which links up to the skiing on Gornergrat and Sunnega. Download the PDF from here : http://www.zermatt.ch/en/page.cfm/lifts_and_pistes/piste_map

You will also notice that there are a lot more runs classified as itineries on the latest map.
snow report
twoodwar, Chalet Etoile above Plan Maison on the Cervinia side is one of the best place to eat in the area (in terms of value for money), it has proper flush toilets too, bonus!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8104856/The-worlds-ten-best-mountain-restaurants.html?image=3
ski holidays
Thanks to luigi and ish303 Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dsoutar wrote:
Can anyone suggest good runs (don't have to be hard) and describe why they like them

Runs 16 and 17 (Chamois and Marmotte) in the Rothorn area bring back great memories for me. Long, high, deserted, fabulous views... fantastic.
ski holidays
Had an excellent week in Zermatt last year, so I'm absolutely packed full of advice if you want it!

If you want to have a look at photos, you can find them here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/collections/72157625225230520/

Regarding skiing, we had a bit of a strategy on the go:
Day 1: Ski Sunnegga/Rothorn area
Day 2: Ski Gornergrat/Riffelberg area
Day 3: Head over and ski Cervinia area
Day 4: Ski Matterhorn/Schwarzsee area
Day 5: Head over to Italy again
Day 6: 'Greatest hits' day, covering the best runs from the week.

Day 6 turned out to be the best day's skiing I've ever had. I can still remember the route and runs we did, if anyone wants to know.

Lunch stops:
Day 1: Fluhalp (great food, amazing views) - off run no.19
Day 2: Riffelberg self service (good for a quick lunch, more amazing views) - at Riffelberg
Day 3: Chalet Etoile (best food of the holiday) - off Cervinia run 4
Day 4: Gandegghutte (looks like a council estate house, but cosy with good food) - above Trockener Steg off run no.74
Day 5: Chalet Etoile again
Day 6: Zum See (amazing food, but expensive) - below Furi off run no.50

Do:
Try and get on the first lift as early as possible (half 8). It's worth it for the perfectly groomed slopes
Head over to Italy as early as possible in the morning and do runs no. 7 (Ventina) and no 1 (to Valtournenche). Both excellent when groomed, but not to great when cut-up.
Think about skiing an area a day. It cuts out on long transfer times between the different areas, and lets you fully explore them
Make sure you've got plenty space on your cameras memory card. The scenery is beyond amazing.
Have an early lunch (11:00-12:00), then take advantage of the empty slopes between 12:00-14:00
Think about booking lunch a day in advance. Can be a pain, but the table service places get really busy
Think about taking the Schwarszee gondola down at the end of the day, rather than no.62 Furgg-Furi. It gets ridiculously busy.

Don't:
Walk in the middle of the road thinking it's traffic free. You'll get run over by the 'silent-death'.
Spend so long looking at the scenery that you crash on a regular basis.
Think that because it quite warm in resort, it'll be not too bad on the slopes. It'll still be -30oC on the glacier.
Think that Cafe Fertig is a safe after dinner bet. The stuff is absolute loopy-juice!

Restaurants in resort (this is where we ate, did the Pipe and Spaghetti Factory twice):
Hotel Post - Old Spaghetti Factory: Excellent pizzas, and a good horse steak (if you're so inclined)
The Pipe: Weird but excellent fusion food. Good if you're happy to try different things
Hotel Albana Real - Rua Thai: Thai food obviously, nice decor.
Whymper-stube: Excellent for a traditional Swiss fondue.
Restaurant Stockhorn: Grilled meats over an open fire, excellent steaks

Favourite runs:
No 4: Brunnjeschbord (nice tree-lined red, usually quiet)
No 8: Obere National (a good twisty black, steep in bits but not too much of a challenge)
No 19: Fluhalp (twisty, wide and well-groomed, high-altitude feel)
Nos 28/26: White Hare/Grunsee (1000m drop, excellent varied red, feels exposed in a nice way)
No 37: Riffelhorn (fast rollercoaster blue down the side of the railway)
Nos 41/42: Landtunnel/Schweigmatten (twisty, pleasant, varied tree-lined red)
No 62: Furgg-Furi (brilliant twisty black in the morning, avoid in the afternoon)
No 69: Matterhorn (away from it all, deserted red directly under the NE face of the Matterhorn)
Cervinia
No 1: Ridiculously long run, some flat bits but a good sense of satisfaction at the end
No 7: Amazing big-vertical red run, varied and twisty, excellent when freshly groomed
No 24: Fast rollercoaster red directly under the SE face of the Matterhorn

Anyway, that's about it. Hope that helps!
snow report
twoodwar wrote:
Also off to Zermatt for the first time, any restaurant recommendations for the night in the village would be very welcome. Smile

Stockhorn Grill. Had Chateau Briand cooked on an open fire, they brought a plateful of perfectly cooked steak, creamy Dauphinoise Potatoes and vegetables. The waitress then said to me that when I'd finished she'd bring the second plate, they were keeping it warm for us.
Superb meal. Very Happy

Chalet L'Etiole in Cervinia for lunch is a must.
snow report
Shoneyman, fantastic review and information for me. Thanks. Spyderman, you have thankfully confirmed that I have booked a good restaurant for at least one night. As I'm on a much needed diet at the moment, I am currently dribbling onto the carpet in anticipation, - messy! Cheers 24 sleeps to go! Very Happy
latest report
Do: have lunch at the L'Etoile in Cervinia. Make a reservation first. Be prepared to ask where it is, as I couldn't find it on the map.
Do: share taxis with others.
Do: have lunch at Chez Vrony in Findeln. Make a reservation first in the morning.
Do: plan on going to Cervinia early in your stay. That way, if weather is nasty, you can go later in your trip. But you might end up missing it if you plan this the other way around.
Don't: eat at any of the mountain restaurants with the smiley Matterhorn logo on it.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-01-13 20:46; edited 1 time in total
latest report
twoodwar, No problem, glad I could be of assistance! I'm just new on here, and I've only been to 3 resorts (another 2 coming up this season), so I'm not exactly a fountain of knowledge. But, the 3 resorts I have been to, I got to know quite well.

Anyway, here's a few links to some of the places I mentioned (most have on-line menu's, just to get your mouth watering a bit more):

Lunch:
Fluhalp: http://www.fluhalp-zermatt.ch/cms/output.php?id=92
Zum See: http://www.zumsee.ch/index.php?lan=en&mid=1
(other recommendations I didn't get to)
Stafelalp: http://www.stafelalp.ch/
Chez Vrony: http://www.chezvrony.ch/start.html
Findlerhof: http://www.findlerhof.ch/home.htm

Dinner:
Hotel Post: http://www.hotelpost.ch/en/index.php
The Pipe: http://www.gozermatt.com/thepipe/
Rua Thai: http://www.hotelalbanareal.com/en/rua-thai-en/
Whymperstube: http://www.whymper-stube.ch/restaurant.html
Stockhorn Grill: http://www.grill-stockhorn.ch/stockhorn/Restaurant_e.html

Also, I took quite a few 'head-cam' videos when I was over. Been meaning to put some on YouTube, but I've only got round to doing one. It's the run from Gifthittli all the way down to Furi (1150m vertical), going throught the Gornergrat area. It takes in 2 of the runs I mentioned as being favourites. Starts on blue 37, and finishes with reds 41/42 (connected by red 39). I particularly like the last 2 mins, when it gets into the trees! Watching this always gets me right in the mood (only 11 sleeps till Meribel!):

http://youtube.com/v/yQec-wFyf4M

Steven
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30454354@N06/collections/72157625225230520/
snow report
Great stuff shoneyman, a real appetite whetter, although you did fly past a nice looking stop!
snow conditions
Have also already booked Chalet Etoile (Monday), Chez Vrony Figure we will live dangerously on the days we lunch at Etoile and Chez Vrony. Zum Zee also on the agenda, but I want to have a nose as people say this is a price above even Chez vrony?!
latest report
twoodwar, Thanks, glad you liked the video. Are you talking about the restaurant at 7mins? I think that might be Chami-Hitta (also gets a good write-up). I'm not sure though, I was too busy looking where I was going, and I kind of had a bit of speed up at that point (ie, the sort of speed that if you fall, you just know it's not going to be a good outcome!).

Yeh, you can't go wrong with Chalet Etoile and Chez Vrony. If you throw in Zum See as well, that means you'll have done 3 of the (Telegraph's) top 10 mountain restaurants in the world. Not bad for 1 week!

But you really can't go wrong with Chalet Etoile, it's just a perfect experience from start to finish. You'll absolutely love it, and chances are you'll go back later in the week. We had promised ourselves we'd try a different restaurant every day, but we just couldn't resist it, and went to Etoile again!

Cheers!
ski holidays
In fact, as much as I've got Meribel and Ischgl coming up this season, this thread is really making me also want to go back to Zermatt Crying or Very sad

Ach well, maybe one day!
snow report
Shoneyman, excellent report and I'm sure will be so useful. BTW, as we are going 9th April - can anyone give some indication as to what the conditions are like at that time of year (generally as I appeciate nothing can be guranteed). What are the resort runs like for example ?

p.s. why not eat at the restaurants with the smiley Matterhorn on them ?
snow conditions
oh, and one other thing - can someone confirm that the lift pass includes a day at Saas Fee (we will have a car)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy