Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems organizing my holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Bit of a pointless post really but just wanted to share my frustration!

I'm finding it very difficult to organize my first skiing holiday and struggling to organize everything is starting to ruin my excitment about it Sad

Flights and accomodation are booked, so the essentials are sorted but I really want to make sure I get the most of my week and am trying to book lessons.

Not only am I confused about what level I need to book in with and which school to use ... but most of them aren't offering group lessons the week I'm going Sad Sad I could cry!! Gahhh

*walks to the corner and screams*

Ok, feel a bit better now!!!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Millie10, where are you going and which ski school are you trying to book?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm going to Morzine. I've emailed quite a few of the ski schools and had three replies so far

I'm after a week of half day lessons ideally

The Snow School currently don't have anyone booked in but are willing to take my booking but say that if there aren't enough people by the holiday they will just offer me private lessons to the same value - that's only 3 hours of lessons for the whole week and not what I want (Going with someone who isn't skiing so want group lessons so I'm not on my own all week on the slopes)

Freedom 2 ski don't have any groups that week but will offer private lessons at £130 for 2hs which I can't afford

And another company have replied saying they don't do groups that week but that emails on my work account and don't remember now who it is

Originally I was after a ski school I book in for for the whole week, morning and afternoon lessons but can't find any that offer this. Although I'm not an amazing skier I don't want to just casually go from the top to the bottom, I'm very keen to learn and become a better skier
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
have you tried ESF - http://www.esf-morzine.com/ski-school-morzine/ may not be your first choice as most people on this forum seem either pro or anti ESF. My daughter (20) used ESF last year in Les Coches , had a great time , good company on the slopes with the group (5 in total)and skiing improved. We have normally used either Evolution2 or Oxygene in the past if they are in the resort we are skiing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Millie10, try BASS http://www.britishskischool.com/morzine/ and Easy 2 Ride http://www.morzineski.fr/?lang=en they should both offer adult groups
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Sarah, waiting for a reply from them Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Millie10, when are you going? I'd second the suggestion of BASS.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Millie10 wrote:
Originally I was after a ski school I book in for for the whole week, morning and afternoon lessons but can't find any that offer this. Although I'm not an amazing skier I don't want to just casually go from the top to the bottom, I'm very keen to learn and become a better skier

Millie, those are not your only two options. There used to be an experienced teacher on this site who was pretty insistent that it wasn't sensible to book more than 2-3 hours of lessons a day (and if a private, only 90 mins). If you did, all you were paying for was for the teacher to watch you practice. So if you do get part day lessons, make sure that at the end of each lesson (if it's not already obvious by then) you get clear feedback from the instructor as to what you should spend your next hours/days practicing. On my second ever week skiing, I spent half of each day in pretty challenging (for my experience) lessons, and then the other half practicing down the same blue slope over and over again - finding slightly more challenging routes down it each time as I got better - and then venturing onto reds as they came within my reach....so I improved immensely between each lesson. I frequently do the same now, 50+ weeks of skiing later. Doesn't solve the "company" problem, but it's a far cry (and way more useful) than to "casually go from the top to the bottom".

(but sorry - I know nothing about Morzine ski schools)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Millie10, I found all-day lessons exhausting, and much prefer as GrahamN says to spend some time in between practising what I have learnt.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Millie10,
Have you booked with one of the big tour operators? If so, then standard practice is that on the transfer bus to resort, they come round and will sell you lessons, normally with ESF. I don't think there is much, if any commission.

Whichever company you book lessons through, what normally happens re. level is that they put you in a group at the start based on your own description of your level, but if you are clearly in the wrong class after the first day your instructor will move you up or down a class.

Whatever you do don't stress about it. Morzine is a good sized resort and good for beginners and earlier skiers and you'll have no bother organising lessons, even if you leave it till you get there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

you'll have no bother organising lessons, even if you leave it till you get there.

Hmm. Not necessarily good advice - depends when you're going. But yes, all day lessons would be a bit much!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I haven't booked through a tour operator.

I am stressing about it haha

Will sit and wait for the other schools to reply to my emails Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Millie10, ditto GrahamN's comment - I took a 6-day course at 2.5 hours/day on a 1:1 basis in the mornings. More than enough to make a huge difference to your skiing. Even in a moderate group size, that ought to be plenty, though I guess this also depends on you to some extent.

I've also used ESF in the past, though again, 1:1 or 1:2. Given that Morzine is a popular location for Brit skiers, you may find it possible to try and get into a group of similar standard skiers. Appreciate that there is more of a gamble to this, but it could be an option.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Millie10, have you telephoned BASS? If not, don't delay.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Millie10 wrote:
I haven't booked through a tour operator.

I am stressing about it haha

Will sit and wait for the other schools to reply to my emails Sad

Are you self-catered or in a Chalet? It's always best to get local advice. Is it just for yourself? Skiing is a mind thing. If you have the right mindset you only need a few hours of private instruction to learn what you need to learn then the rest is just practice and confidence. Most Brits seems to book lessons just for the guiding and the company.
snow report
Quote:

If you have the right mindset you only need a few hours of private instruction to learn what you need to learn.... Most Brits seems to book lessons just for the guiding and the company.....

Hmm. Bit of a broad generalisation there. wink
snow conditions
Millie10, you might not find they respond v quickly to emails (the season is not properly underway yet) - give them a ring.
ski holidays
Thanks Pam, they have responded to my email and can offer 2hrs over 4 days starting at 11.30 each day (was ideally after an earlier start but never mind!). Still waiting for a few more replies till I decide who to confirm with.

Once they book you in to a certain level lesson, if you are better / worse than the group you end up in do you end up staying there for the week or do they normally try to move you?

Seeing I can't get full day courses I'm now tempted to do a few afternoons of snow boarding whilst I'm there too.

Just want to make sure I get the most out of my holiday!
latest report
You will get bumped up or down depending on your ability. I would also agree that a full day course is a waste of money. Most of the time spent in lessons is simply following the instructor.

Learing to Ski and Snowboard in the same week may be a little too much IMHO,.
latest report
gravystuffing wrote:
If you have the right mindset you only need a few hours of private instruction to learn what you need to learn then the rest is just practice and confidence.

That's not true
latest report
Millie you can probably make a "ski friend" in your morning class and ski with them in the afternoon. Either way I hope your first experience of ski-ing is all you hope for.

Agree with Russ, concentrate on mastering one, er, medium before you try another ... although it might not hurt to have a taster session on the board just in case you find that is your natural habitat, so to speak. It does mean another session in the hire shop though...

You do realise you are very likely to get hooked? A lifetime of looking wistfully at snow webcams for six months of the year awaits you ...
ski holidays
I would already say I'm hooked .. I've been going at least twice weekly to the dry slopes for lessons for the last 6 months and have also been having snow boarding lessons as well.
snow conditions
Quote:

Learing to Ski and Snowboard in the same week may be a little too much IMHO

Yes, probably. If you're keen to get on with the skiing there will, as others have said, be loads to practice. Most people don't, they just sort of hoon around.

When are you going? You probably told us sometime, but I can't remember. Schools do get pretty busy at times - someone was regretting, on another thread, that they couldn't get into BASS lessons, because they were full. Don't leave it too long to confirm with one of the schools.

If you decide to have a go at boarding, I'd advise against just hiring a board and jumping on. It's not exactly self-evident and quite serious injuries (especially to wrists - you need wrist guards) are not uncommon amongst people who "just have a little go" on a snowbard. maybe you could have an introductory lesson in a dome before you go?
ski holidays
BASS have done a provisional booking for me, just have to confirm by the 22nd Decmeber Smile

I'm going 15th January.
Already got my wrist guards for snowboarding as I've been having lessons for a while now, I'm a physiotherapist and really don't fancy wrecking my wrists!
latest report
Millie10, great! Maybe you'll decide to be both a skier and boarder - can be very useful. My son is. He skis when the pistes are all hard and icy but as soon as there's a big dump of powder he's out on the board. I do both, but I only dabble in snowboarding, for a change now and again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy