Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stripped binding screw hole

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have a stripped binding screw hole, I know there is a technique using araldite which i have, but I have no wire wool (a helicoil would be better but don't have access to them). Have drill and correct bits, no3 screwdriver etc.

Instructions how to do it would be good with just araldite, all other holes are fine, so will just use waterproof wood glue for them.

Thanks for any help
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no hardware store or grocery shop nearby to nip and buy a pan scourer from?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
midgetbiker, Had not thought of pan scourer....supermarket is near will have a look

Never done this technique however so instructions would be good, how much wire wool? stuff hole with it or just some strands? screw in screw while araldite still wet?

Sorry for silly questions...

Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
any electrical cable / flex / extension about? Strip the cable and you have strands of copper wire to epoxy in

Depends on how stripped the hole is

Really stripped.... Bung hole up with wire stuffed in and then re- drill

loose but doesnt pull out - bung some in and tighten down
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You'd seriously use a bit of wire stuffed in there or some glue? Get a helicoil, do it properly. If a binding screw fails on the hill, it is probably going to take the other one with it, then you've got a knackered ski. Now put yourself in the middle of a long run. Perhaps a challenging run. At 4:30pm. Still glad you just chucked a bit of wire and glue at it?

I wouldn't do it. And I'll bodge almost anything.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I would have thought 3 screws would have got you down the hill. If it rips out you can get it heli coiled then. I haven't heard of this wire technique thing but I'd probably give it ago rather than getting it helicoiled. Not that that is necessarily the best idea, just what i'd do.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Monium wrote:
You'd seriously use a bit of wire stuffed in there or some glue? Get a helicoil, do it properly. If a binding screw fails on the hill, it is probably going to take the other one with it, then you've got a knackered ski. Now put yourself in the middle of a long run. Perhaps a challenging run. At 4:30pm. Still glad you just chucked a bit of wire and glue at it?

I wouldn't do it. And I'll bodge almost anything.

Bear in mind the whole ski is just glue with some fibre's stuck together and a bit of wood wink

But I do agree with the don't bodge it.... unless your really stuck and need to
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
get yourself a quiver killer - see the binding inserts thread
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carroz, the technique is easy enough - just cut up the wire wool in to very small strands a couple of mm long max as if any longer they can wrap around the drill bit etc. Cut enough wire to fill about 25% of the volume of the hole. The problem is getting the epoxy mix fully into the hole as it's normally too thick so it's best warm it up until it's quite runny but even then it's very fiddly to do. I use a syringe (no needle) & then stand it in boiling water to get the glue thin enough to inject/fill the hole without any air pockets. Best to use a slow cure epoxy & then the ski over the top of a radiator to fully cure for a couple of days.

Or better still, swap to Quiver Killers wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, Thank you, I think I am going to leave it until i get home as i don't want to bodge it., well a small bodge is better than a big one! I am messing about with binding delta/ramp angle on an old pair of B2 bandits that i use to ski with daughter and one of the screws has become a bit loose. Quiver killers would actually be a very good idea, but i live too far away from you to get them fitted and would be a bit of a waste on these old skis. (which are actually still very good!)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
carroz wrote:
......Quiver killers would actually be a very good idea, but i live too far away from you to get them fitted......

They're easy enough to fit yourself on skis that have already been mounted.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy