Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easyjet baggage question - again!

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

we were forced to check in hand luggage with boots in it. No idea whether this is the case for other airports

It isn't. We flew Edinburgh/Munich in October and Manchester/Munich last weekend - on both occasions with our skiboots in hand luggage!!!!

Regarding handluggage, don't Easyjet's adverts say, "If it goes in it goes on..." **

**unless it contains ski boots that is Puzzled Puzzled

This sadly looks like becoming a fiasco..... Puzzled
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Monium wrote:

The answer to this is to simply lie to the check in staff. They have no right to search your hand luggage, they can ask what is in there but if you lie they can't go opening the thing. If security have a problem with your bag or items in there they can stop you, but if we had simply lied we'd have been fine. Nobody else at any stage would have stopped us, we even asked the security staff who looked very confused at Easyjet policy and told us it wouldn't have been a problem with them, they let them through no problem.

You also have no right to travel.

If check in staff demand to inspect your bags, and you refuse, then wheil tey cannot force you to let them, they can refuse you boarding, so not that good an idea.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
n1ckster wrote:

It seems that either their policy is not uniformly implemented (or understood) or it is on the whim of individual staff as to what is accepted or not.

Nick

Exackerly. And that is what bothers me. I don't mind them being jobsworth if they are right, however they seem to apply almost any rule they feel like without it being clear anywhere. What also bothers me is that the information is not available in advance - which means when packing for a trip you have no idea what has to go where to keep someone happy at the check in desk based on whatever whim they go with that day.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
alex_heney wrote:

If check in staff demand to inspect your bags, and you refuse, then wheil tey cannot force you to let them, they can refuse you boarding, so not that good an idea.

Agreed. But they can''t just go searching people's bags. You also have a right to privacy. If they suspect you have something that isn't allowed on a plane under the security guidelines in there, they need to contact security who won't let you through.

They could, clearly, not allow you on the plane. But if you lie to them, it takes a fairly assertive jobsworth to really push the issue and tell a customer that they are lying.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To add to the confusion, i don't think ski boots are mentioned in Gatwick Airport's list of 'prohibited items' carried as hand luggage.
Could be worth taking a print-out with you to (not) EZ check-in? Confused
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
alex_heney wrote:
Monium wrote:

The answer to this is to simply lie to the check in staff. They have no right to search your hand luggage, they can ask what is in there but if you lie they can't go opening the thing. If security have a problem with your bag or items in there they can stop you, but if we had simply lied we'd have been fine. Nobody else at any stage would have stopped us, we even asked the security staff who looked very confused at Easyjet policy and told us it wouldn't have been a problem with them, they let them through no problem.

Actually - you do, providing you comply with their terms and conditions, and the T's & C's they offer at booking do not exclude carrying boots as hand luggage
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flew easyjet from Bristol a few days ago and board bag weighing 17 kg ok, one boot in hand luggage ok - the other would not fit !!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thornyhill wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Monium wrote:

Actually - you do, providing you comply with their terms and conditions, and the T's & C's they offer at booking do not exclude carrying boots as hand luggage

Suggest you read this part of their T&C: In particular for purposes of this discussion, para (f).
Quote:

Article 8

Refusal and Limitation of Carriage

8.1. Right to refuse carriage

We may refuse to carry you or your Baggage for reasons of safety or if, in the exercise of our reasonable discretion, we determine that:

(a) such action is necessary for reasons of security;

(b) such action is necessary in order to comply with any applicable laws, regulations or orders of any state or country to be flown from, into or over including laws or regulations relating to Advanced Passenger Information requirements;

(c) your conduct, status, age or mental or physical condition or the physical condition of your Baggage is such as to:

(i) require our special assistance (save where the "Special Needs" provisions of our Carrier's Regulations apply); or

(ii) cause harm, discomfort or make yourself objectionable to other passengers or crew; or

(iii) involve any hazard or risk to yourself or other persons or to property; or

(d) you have committed misconduct on a previous Flight and such conduct may be repeated; or

(e) you have not observed, or may fail to observe, our instructions with respect to safety or security; or

(f) you have refused to submit to a security check; or

(g) the applicable Fare or any charges or taxes payable have not been paid, or credit arrangements agreed between us and you (or the person paying the Fare) have not been complied with; or

(h) you do not appear to be properly documented; or

(i) any of our documentation presented by you:

(i) has been acquired unlawfully or has been purchased from an entity other than us or our authorised agent; or

(ii) has been reported as being lost or stolen; or

(iii) is counterfeit; or

(iv) has been altered by anyone other than us or our authorised agent, or has been mutilated;

in which case we reserve the right to retain such documentation; or

(j) the person presenting for check-in or boarding cannot prove that he is the person named as the Passenger on the Ticket. We reserve the right to retain such Ticket in these circumstances.

And, while they do not explicitly specify ski boots, they do have the following catch all in their baggage rules:
Quote:

9.7. Unchecked Baggage

(a) Each Passenger is usually permitted to transport one standard piece of Unchecked Baggage in the cabin as hand Baggage to a maximum weight and size, in accordance with our Carrier's Regulations. Baggage which you carry on to the aircraft must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size will not be permitted in the cabin.

If you want to carry your ski boots in your hand luggage, you can certainly try it, and there is a fair chance you will be OK.

But if they decide otherwise, and you try to force the issue, it is unlikely you will travel on that flight without giving in.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mrs Monium here.

I'd read just about every bit of small print on Queasyjet's website before we left - we were organising a big group and I send an email round telling people where they can put boots, what the general baggage rules are for the airline, etc so that there aren't any problems at the airport.

I didn't see anything on their website at all about boots not being allowed in cabin baggage. I am a lawyer, I read a LOT of small print, interpret a lot of text and I am very good at arguing Wink

Trouble was, I didn't print anything out so couldn't wave anything under the noses of the utterly useless and officious pair that we encountered at check-in and they had clearly decided that boots were some sort of risk (maybe I could have hijacked the plane with one of my boots?). The bit quoted above looks like they could, if they really wanted, decide that boots in hand baggage are a security risk but I did ask the security lot at the oversized baggage desk who really didn't give a monkey's toss if I took ski boots on a plane or not so it would seem perverse if Queasyjet's definition of risk is different to that of airport security.

Ah well, next time I'll make sure I print everything out and have tagged the relevant bits Very Happy

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Monium wrote:
.....it would seem perverse if Queasyjet's definition of risk is different to that of airport security....

Why perverse? It's their passengers, crew and aircraft that are at stake. The final call on what goes on to their aircraft, over and above what is called buy the airport's security, is quite rightly the airline's. Ask El Al - I think you'll find they agree.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, I'm sure if these policies were genuinely motivated by safety no-one would have an issue. There is just a hint of a suspicion however that airlines,especially locos adopt baggage policies aimed at extraction of maximum fees from passengers while quite happy to accept heavy bottles of booze or flog glass perfume bottles on board which could be used as weapons.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what the consensous about taking a shovel(aluminium type) and probe etc in backpack on as hand luggage ??
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Neilski wrote:
what the consensous about taking a shovel(aluminium type) and probe etc in backpack on as hand luggage ??

Never risked it.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
achilles wrote:
Monium wrote:
.....it would seem perverse if Queasyjet's definition of risk is different to that of airport security....

Why perverse? It's their passengers, crew and aircraft that are at stake. The final call on what goes on to their aircraft, over and above what is called buy the airport's security, is quite rightly the airline's. Ask El Al - I think you'll find they agree.

I honestly don't mind if their policy is that no boots go in hand luggage. As long as they are very open and honest about it, tell you when you book ski carriage or something, at least you've got a chance and can either book with another airline, or pack the boots in the suitcase. In our case, it wasn't written anywhere, it seemed to be made up on the spot, and nobody else that has flown with Easyjet in various recent threads seems to have had an issue at all.

I do find it entertaining that if I can lift it, and it doesn't break security rules, I can take it as hand luggage, but the moment that a ski boot is contained in the bag it becomes a risk to us all, however. If ski boots are a genuine risk, they need to be included on the list of prohibited items by airport security, not applied willy nilly by airlines.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Neilski wrote:

No chance. The shovel looks like, and could easily be used as, a weapon. Security would almost definitely remove it or insist it is checked in.
snow report
A few observations from my return flight Easyjet from Geneva

1 people were seriously taking the mickey with the size of their hand luggage - huge ruck sacks and bags that would never had fitted in to the trial metal bag holder thingy. The plane was so full of hand baggage that people were asked to put their coats and small bags under the seat in front of them. Also lots a boot bags seemed to have extra pockets etc and seemed a lot wider than the 25 cm width for hand baggage and even if ski boots are technically allowed I am sure loads could be refuses as hand baggage because the bags are too big

2 No problem with my board bag being in excess of this 12 kg weight, which was expected and lots of people will full roller board bags.

3 My bottle if Gin that I took on the plane as hand baggage is as dangerous as any ski boot wink

The more I think about it the more I am sure that the 32 kg limit for a board bag (as long as you do not have any other checked in luggage) is correct and in accordance with the T&Cs. There is no facility to buy the 20 kg allowance (it is free) and the charge for hold baggage is for how you distribute your allowance per bag (not for the 20kg) and not checking in any bags means no charge but the 20 kg allowance is still there. The additional ski fee means you have 32 kg, or an extra 12 kg to the 20 kg free baggage allowance, both of which means you have 32 kg allowance for the £18 additional fee you pay each way.
snow report
rayscoops, on the 32kg ski/board bag point you no longer need to read tealeaves, as they cover that point explicitly now, although it seems to contradict their previous policy on weight pooling. As posted earlier,
GrahamN wrote:
in... ( http://www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html ) it explicitly gives the case [even with pretty pictures, for the hard of understanding] that has elicited a great deal of discussion here previously:
1Pax + 1 sporting + 0 hold = 32kg allowance
It does though repeat the 2 pax + 1 bag + 2 skis = 44kg limit though Sad (although that doesn't affect me).
Simple solution to that is to make 2 bookings, 1 per person; both book 1 skis and only one book on the hold bag and you get 2x32kg allowance.

I agree fully about people taking the p*ss with carry-on size, which makes the boots in hand baggage thing, as fatbob posted, ridiculous - they would be perfectly happy for me to carry on two litre bottles of plonk, then smash them and have a way more dangerous weapon than any ski-boot. They've been making a big thing about no weight limit for carry-on bags, so what's the problem when people use it? I make sure my carry on does fit within the measure (admittedly only just), and am perfectly capable of putting it in the overhead locker, so what's their problem?
snow conditions
GrahamN, yes you are right, but I was trying to justify it as many ways as possible because when you get to the desk it seems that they interpret it in any way they want !

the boots issue seems a non issue to me too Puzzled
snow report
29kg ski bag as sports baggage last week, was not queried at all!
snow conditions
I flew from Gatwick to Geneva a couple of weeks ago.

Ski boots in hand luggage, no problem.

My ski bag and my main checked in bag were 17kg and 18kg, so I was about 3kg over the combined 32kg allowance. Was prepared to pay but the checkin guy never mentioned it Smile
ski holidays
anarchicsaltire, so you take skis plus all your gear in a single sports baggage and only pay for the sports bag and dont check a clothes bag. hmmmm may have to try that next time and buy myself a bigass snow board bag snowHead
ski holidays
skimottaret, it's the way forward...only downside is having to lug the massive bag around airport/resort.

Just to add that we got talking to a very helfpul Easyjet checkin lady last week (at LGW), and she told us that if you pay for sports equipment and have a ski bag (note: not a massive board bag) then you can also check in a boot bag free of charge (i.e. sports equipment covers skis + boots which can be in separate bags if necessary). She did say that the website doesn't say this, and nobody would ever tell you that over the phone, but that the check-in staff were told to allow it. She also added that it didn't count for snowboarders "as they always have such huge bags anyway".
snow conditions
skimottaret, been doing it for four or five years now, it seems that the T&C's formally allow 32 kg checked in hold bag allowance for a single ski/board bag (£18 each way) if you do not check in any other bag. You can still take a big hand luggage bag in to the cabin too with some of your heavier stuff.

ChrisWo, snowboard boots fit necely in to the board bag !
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
anarchicsaltire, so you take skis plus all your gear in a single sports baggage and only pay for the sports bag and dont check a clothes bag. hmmmm may have to try that next time and buy myself a bigass snow board bag snowHead

That's it just one kickass sports bag with everything inside.

Was a bit of a pain with the massive Queue at Geneva coming back. But only needing to find one bag on arrival was a bonus even if it was the last bag off the plane. Dragging it half a mile uphill in the snow because the taxi couldn't get up the side roads was. A bit of a struggle though.
snow report
Quote:

Just to add that we got talking to a very helfpul Easyjet checkin lady last week (at LGW), and she told us that if you pay for sports equipment and have a ski bag (note: not a massive board bag) then you can also check in a boot bag free of charge (i.e. sports equipment covers skis + boots which can be in separate bags if necessary). She did say that the website doesn't say this, and nobody would ever tell you that over the phone, but that the check-in staff were told to allow it. She also added that it didn't count for snowboarders "as they always have such huge bags anyway".

This is exactly what they told me at Bristol; it is good to hear it from another source.

Nick
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
Thornyhill wrote:
alex_heney wrote:
Monium wrote:

Suggest you read this part of their T&C: In particular for purposes of this discussion, para (f).
Quote:

Article 8

Refusal and Limitation of Carriage

8.1. Right to refuse carriage

We may refuse to carry you or your Baggage for reasons of safety or if, in the exercise of our reasonable discretion, we determine that:

(a) such action is necessary for reasons of security;

(b) such action is necessary in order to comply with any applicable laws, regulations or orders of any state or country to be flown from, into or over including laws or regulations relating to Advanced Passenger Information requirements;

(c) your conduct, status, age or mental or physical condition or the physical condition of your Baggage is such as to:

(i) require our special assistance (save where the "Special Needs" provisions of our Carrier's Regulations apply); or

(ii) cause harm, discomfort or make yourself objectionable to other passengers or crew; or

(iii) involve any hazard or risk to yourself or other persons or to property; or

(d) you have committed misconduct on a previous Flight and such conduct may be repeated; or

(e) you have not observed, or may fail to observe, our instructions with respect to safety or security; or

(f) you have refused to submit to a security check; or

(g) the applicable Fare or any charges or taxes payable have not been paid, or credit arrangements agreed between us and you (or the person paying the Fare) have not been complied with; or

(h) you do not appear to be properly documented; or

(i) any of our documentation presented by you:

(i) has been acquired unlawfully or has been purchased from an entity other than us or our authorised agent; or

(ii) has been reported as being lost or stolen; or

(iii) is counterfeit; or

(iv) has been altered by anyone other than us or our authorised agent, or has been mutilated;

in which case we reserve the right to retain such documentation; or

(j) the person presenting for check-in or boarding cannot prove that he is the person named as the Passenger on the Ticket. We reserve the right to retain such Ticket in these circumstances.

And, while they do not explicitly specify ski boots, they do have the following catch all in their baggage rules:
Quote:

9.7. Unchecked Baggage

(a) Each Passenger is usually permitted to transport one standard piece of Unchecked Baggage in the cabin as hand Baggage to a maximum weight and size, in accordance with our Carrier's Regulations. Baggage which you carry on to the aircraft must fit under the seat in front of you or in an enclosed storage compartment in the cabin. Items determined by us to be of excessive weight or size will not be permitted in the cabin.

If you want to carry your ski boots in your hand luggage, you can certainly try it, and there is a fair chance you will be OK.

But if they decide otherwise, and you try to force the issue, it is unlikely you will travel on that flight without giving in.

Just got back from two EJ flights with boots as carry on. As usual no issues in Belfast - "Oh, You are going skiing... I wish I was, have a great holiday"

In France, EJ staff... "sorry, you have to pay and check boots in the hold... its a security issue." Fortunately we missed our booked flight by 6 minutes, so we had 23 hours and 54 minutes to resolve the issue. We were given the above info with 23 hours and 50 minutes remaining (see the other thread that will appear, as if by magic,) but we managed to get French security to tell French EJ staff that ski boots are less dangerous than 200 mls of bottled water. (I suppose that is correct - you can't drown in a ski boot..... unless it is really really sweaty.....)

The point is, if security say it is no go, then you can agree or walk home. If EJ say it is a security issue, you should remind them that they are EJ staff and not airline security
snow conditions
Hooray, I made it back. So this is the low down for what I found out and what happened. We arrived at Luton 3 hrs before take off. We were all at least 4kgs over the limit for check in baggage. I had a snowboard bag which I checked in as baggage. No problems. The girl did query the snowboard bag but wasn't bothered. She did make a fuss about someones bag containing boots which she finally allowed. This left me with one small backpack and my mini roller bag. In security I was allowed through with 2 bags but as I approached the gate, EJ staff did not allow me with 2 bags on the plane - no matter what I said. Eventually I had to put 1 bag in another bag and got through.

Return flight in GVA. No problems here at all with any bags even my 2 carry-on bags. My friend packed his boots in the hold luggage and put some clothes in the boot bag for the plane.

WARNING - Dont pay any baggage fees through Expedia. They do not pay EJ the fee. We were warned about Expedia and the EJ staff were really fair and allowed us through with no more fees to pay. All in all EasyJet were pretty damn good. No delays at all, nice staff and a nice flight.

Oh and Happy New Year snowHead !!
snow report
does anyone know what the staff are like at STN, I'm off to France in 2 weeks and have paid for a bag and a snowboard bag, I intend to carry all my ski clothes and boots inside the snowboard bag which will take it over 12kg but my reading of this chain indicates that this shouldn't be an issue provided I don't go over 32kg between the 2 bags...does anyone see any issues with this?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
zippy wrote:
does anyone know what the staff are like at STN, I'm off to France in 2 weeks and have paid for a bag and a snowboard bag, I intend to carry all my ski clothes and boots inside the snowboard bag which will take it over 12kg but my reading of this chain indicates that this shouldn't be an issue provided I don't go over 32kg between the 2 bags...does anyone see any issues with this?

That is what the Easyjet Ts & Cs say - you can have more than 12kg in your board bag, but both bags can't weigh more than 32kg together. No one bag can weigh more than some amount or other due to baggage handling restrictions, I can't remember exactly, but it's definitely more than 20kg.

But print out the Ts & Cs, and take them with you. The staff at check in seem to be applying any old rule they feel like, every airport is different and nobody seems to have tested it at STN. You may also have an issue coming back, so have it printed and keep it handy.
ski holidays
Monium, no bag can weigh more than 32kg (with any airline, I think) due to weight handling restrictions.
snow report
Sent this off to EJ a couple of days ago but no response yet.

Quote:
Last year when I flew with you with 2 pairs of skis in 1 ski bag I was advised at check in that I could have only paid 1 ski carriage supplement (I had paid 2). This year I will be travelling with 2 checked in bags under 20kg (paid for 2 ) and 1 ski bag with 2 pairs of skis in it weighing around 20kg (I've paid 1 ski carriage supplement). It is not clear from your website whether this is allowable or whether I need to add another ski carriage supplement. Can you advise please?

but reading through this thread (which makes more sense than their T&C's) it looks as if I'll have to pay for another set (unless total weight is under 52kg? unlikely). I don't mind but clarity would help.
snow report
zippy, you will be fine

Colin B, sometimes it is not the best idea to ask a question which might have a negative answer !

If your ski bag weighs 20 kg and your hold bag 12 kg i.e. not more than 32 kg I am sure you will not have a problem if you do not tell them you have two sets of skis. You simply need to pack in accordance with the allowance you are given.
snow conditions
rayscoops, But my 2 hold bags will weigh 15kg+ each. Our boots will have to go in them, we wouldn't be able to carry everything otherwise. I'd rather pay the extra now than get stung at the airport.
ski holidays
Colin B wrote:
rayscoops, But my 2 hold bags will weigh 15kg+ each. Our boots will have to go in them, we wouldn't be able to carry everything otherwise. I'd rather pay the extra now than get stung at the airport.

OK, if you have two hold bags and a ski bag booked, your total allowance is 20kg + 20kg + 12kg = 52kg.

If you have significantly more than 52kg of baggage, you need to book either another ski bag or another hold bag. By the sounds of things, your ski bag will be 20kg, hold bag 15kg each, so you'll only have 50kg. That's ok, no more bags to pay for, you are under your allowance.
snow report
Colin B, what exactly have you paid for ? one ski bag and two hold bags ? or one ski bag and one hold bag ?

Monium, yes that is right imv. If in reality ski bag is 20 kg, the hold bags need to be 16kg + 16kg to give 52 kg total

btw one hold bag and two ski bags is 20 +12 + 12 Kg = 44kg
two hold bags and one ski bag is 20 + 20 + 12 kg = 52 kg
one ski bag and no hold bags is 20 + 12 =32kg
ski holidays
Monium wrote:
Colin B wrote:

OK, if you have two hold bags and a ski bag booked, your total allowance is 20kg + 20kg + 12kg = 52kg.

If you have significantly more than 52kg of baggage, you need to book either another ski bag or another hold bag. By the sounds of things, your ski bag will be 20kg, hold bag 15kg each, so you'll only have 50kg. That's ok, no more bags to pay for, you are under your allowance.

Booking another hold bag, unfortunately wouldn't help him in the least if the total weight is over 52Kg, because you don't get an additional 20Kg with an additional hold bag.
snow report
Quote:
Colin B, what exactly have you paid for ? one ski bag and two hold bags ? or one ski bag and one hold bag ?

I've paid for 2 hold bags and 1 ski bag. Realistically my hold bags are usually about 17/18 kg each. Not sure on the ski bag, I'll have to check. It will be close to 52kg I think but may be a bit under. EJ still haven't responded, I mailed them on Tuesday, probably dealing with loads of bad weather problems.
snow report
Colin B, actually 2 people with two hold bags and 1 ski bag is 52 kg (2 x 20 kg with flight and 1 x 12 kg for ski bag), but one person booking in 2 hold bags and one ski bag is 32 kg (20 kg with flight and extra 12 kg for ski bag)

Are you travelling alone or with another passenger ?
ski holidays
What do you guys take. We (4 of us) just went with 1 20kg hold bag and 4 hand luggage for 2 weeks. (Hand luggage was boot bags stuffed with everything. No EJ weight restriction on hand luggage weight... if it fits its goes. I put all the dense stuff in mine...... 22 KG in a boot bag. I was scared to pick it up by the straps)
snow conditions
There are 2 of us. I'll weigh my ski bag I think and if it isn't under about 15kg (unlikely) I'll just pay another ski carriage. It wont break the bank and I don't want any hassle at silly o'clock on 19th Feb. It doesn't look as if EJ will reply any time soon.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy