Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Winter Screenwash

Poster: A snowHead
What is the best value stuff?

Probably need something good down to -10C
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the bog standard Halfords stuff is supposed to be good to -15c if you use it neat... so it says on the bottle anyway
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You Raang?,

I could only find stuff good to -7 or -8 in local Halfords, and it does freeze up below that. (experience last week)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find the stuff you get in austria that works to -50 or somethings works well. The basic UK stuff that says -4 is hopeless in my transporter even in a light frost. Get the stuff that claims the lowest and go neat when it's cold. Though the transporter T5 does bug me in that once the lines are frozen they don't clear for hours of driving, you'd think all the heat from the engine some could be diverted to the windscreen wash lines.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Another way the UK just isn't built to handle the cold weather snaps!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

the bog standard Halfords stuff

I reported elsewhere that I looked at that stuff. it said "use neat" for winter. and for a severe winter "use double concentrate". Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled I've been trying to set up a still every since.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dillute the screenwash with a cheap bottle of Vodka, that should do the trick !
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I saw two supermodels staring intently at a bottle on the shelf in Halfods. When I asked them what they were doing they replied, "It says to double concentrate."
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lidls, they do stuff good to -60c ,,,so it says on the container.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
johnboy, I do not know whether you have one near you but Costco sell stuff that is supposed to be good down to -36. It certainly works to -10. About £4-50 fo 5lt as I remember.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Lidls, they do stuff good to -60c ,,,so it says on the container.

Is that the screenwash or the vodka ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyder_pig, Laughing Screenwash, although the vodka maybe more realistic in its claims!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We sell this stuff in work. I use it all the time and it has only faile don me once and that was when i got evacuated from cairngorm due to the severe weather, -15c and with 50mph winds to the windchill would have been horrendous!!!
We sell it in the 1 litre and 5 litre bottles.

This isnt where i work just a link to the stuff

http://www.shopmania.co.uk/shopping~online-auto-accessories~buy-bluecol-screenwash-5l~p-7516983.html
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
glad to see that not finding true cold weather windshield washer fluid (err... screenwash) around here wasn't for lack of looking. In the US any old fluid you pick up at a gas station or supermarket is good to -30 or so Fahrenheit. I was intending to go grab a bottle of alcohol to put in with it, if it weren't a rental car I would be nervous about what it would do to the rubber washer fluid lines though.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can state from experience that the Lidl one really does work in temperatures down to -9 - and that is at a dilution of about 4 or 5 to 1, even though on the bottle it says 2:1 should be used for temps down to -10
snow conditions
Asda's best froze solid last week
snow report
Thanks Rick

I was going to get some from you last year, then everything thawed out.

Halfords only seem to sell double concentrate in 1 litre bottles. It was enough to thaw out the washer bottle on a Corsa last week.

A bottle of deicer in the bottle seemed to keep the Berlingo flowing.

Saw a chap doing the old bucket of water trick on his windscreen after a hard frost. I've never seen icicles from so fast on glass before.
latest report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
We sell this stuff in work. I use it all the time and it has only faile don me once and that was when i got evacuated from cairngorm due to the severe weather, -15c and with 50mph winds to the windchill would have been horrendous!!!
We sell it in the 1 litre and 5 litre bottles.

This isnt where i work just a link to the stuff

http://www.shopmania.co.uk/shopping~online-auto-accessories~buy-bluecol-screenwash-5l~p-7516983.html
I'm not sure screenwash "feels" windchill in the way that warm blooded animals do. I think it just cools down to the ambient temperature faster.
@thirty06: lol at the icicles. Should make him a good ice rink too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
There are two Halfords fluids. The pink one is the double concentrate, the blue one being standard.

£11.99 for 15 litres.
ski holidays
bar shaker, thats a good offer. Think we sell the -36c one for £6 and thats in a 5 litre bottle.
latest report
It was 2 for 1 last week (probably still is). I can use more than 5 litres on each leg of an Alpine trip.
snow conditions
bar shaker,

The pink one is only good down to -7
snow report
johnboy, Oh, its worked to -9 so far so I am hoping it will cope.

I have some Porsche stuff that I'll add, then. It came free (in a manner of speaking!) with a service and you are only meant to add the tiniest amount.
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm not sure screenwash "feels" windchill in the way that warm blooded animals do

you're right. The screenwash you need depends on what the actual temperature is - windchill makes no difference. Minus 15 is minus 15, no matter how many gales are blowing.
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I'm not sure screenwash "feels" windchill in the way that warm blooded animals do

you're right. The screenwash you need depends on what the actual temperature is - windchill makes no difference. Minus 15 is minus 15, no matter how many gales are blowing.

Although I agreed with the above here last season, I do actually now think that Latent heat of evaporation does play a part. Certainly at -20 last year the Halfords neat double concentrate was freezing on the windscreen until it got very warm.
Trying Comma XStream this year.
snow conditions
allanm, The atomisation will reduce the temperature of the fluid as it leaves the jet. This may put the fluid below its freezing temp, depending on ambient temp and, in your case, windscreen temp.
ski holidays
Urm it is pretty irrelevant at what temprature it freezes at unless you have heated washer jet nozzles.

Basically all screen washes contain an antifreeze substance, which is normally an ether alcohol based substance, If you have a double concentrate screen wash, then the chances are that it has twice as much ether alcohol content in it, this will stop the solution freezing in the washer bottle reservoir in your car.

But as it goes through the screen washer pump and through the pipes to the nozzle on you bonnet a certain percentage evaporates, thus weakening the concentration.

After you have sprayed your windscreen and parked up, the solution around the nozzles freezes as the ether alcohol evaporates, so when you next come to drive the nozzles are frozen.

So the answer is to have a high concentration solution but have a car with a heated screen wash system, I know my Mondeo has and so far in the 12 months and two winters i have never suffered a problem, yet my wifes Fiesta without a heated system has frozen up numerous times with the same screen wash.

I will now get my anoraK AND STAND IN THE CORNER OF A KITCHEN AT A PARTY rolling eyes
latest report
Timbobaggins wrote:
Urm it is pretty irrelevant at what temprature it freezes at unless you have heated washer jet nozzles.

No...... The problem was the wash freezing slightly AFTER it had hit the windscreen. This only happened at speed, temps -20ish and with Halfords double concentrate absolutely neat. After a while when the interior of the car warmed up it was OK.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think you all need to out a bit more!
snow report
I use this stuff
http://www.cleanchem.co.uk/autoglym-screenwash-5l-makes-45l-1425-p.asp
Diluted about 1:2.5 - never had a problem down to -20 thus far!
Smells nice too, and dilutes right down for summer use, so not as expensive as it seems
ski holidays
posted this yesterday in the equipment section

seen lots of threads with questions on this

anyhow anyone travelling during the cold snowy season might find

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/Accessories/Winter-Essentials/Screenwash/Screenwash-500ml/?NOR2897312&0&cc5_295

a useful link - its cheap - good to -70 and you can get free delivery , beats the stuff that you normally get hold off that is only good to -5

at 1:1 with water its good to -30 apparently. and -70 neat
snow report
Another reason mid/rear engine cars are really pants in cold weather. I can drive for an hour, and still have frost on my "bonnet". None at the back though... I tend to need "stronger" screenwash in my car than my OH does in his as the MR2's washer nozzles freeze quicker than the Octavia's - and are quite capable of freezing mid journey if you go through a cold patch.
snow report
lidl is basically alcohol and glycol. Since the alcohol is listed first, it must be 50% Happy

It is called antifreeze but is actually screenwash about £5/5litre

cheers
bob
snow report
americanskier, I was in Dearborn, Michigan, for a year and despite driving in freezing conditions, on snow, for three months this stuff is new to me. Must be that that the good stuff is all they supply - you dont need to seek it, its the norm.
snow report
Shimmy, What are you on about???
snow report
Shimmy, Because well sub-zero temperatures are the norm, then the local screenwash there will be able to cope with it. In the UK, most drivers can't even get there head around the need to have appropriate tyres in winter, let alone appropriate screenwash - so they stick with the same summer stuff at the same concentration, and then wonder why it freezes! Puzzled
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, Some of them contain glycol, and they don't necessarily freeze up around the nozzles.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy