Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Need a resort in US or Canada with Child care creche facilities (6 month old)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Does anyone know if any reorts in the US or Canada that has a good child day care facility, or creche. My baby would be 6 months at the time we want to go skiiing.

Hope you can help with some advice.

Thank you.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lake Louise takes from 18 days and the creche is at the main lodge and bus stop.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Alexandra, will have a look at Lake Louise as well, any others out there??
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I was going to suggest Silver Star, as that is where we went with our little ones when they were that age.

Although last time we were there they did have a few problems which meant they couldn't do mid-week.

But seems now that they have had their little-ones license revoked by "the authorities", and can now only offer from 18months up - in line with their sister resort of Big White. Maybe next year?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I did a lot of research on this earlier this year because mine will be 6 months in Jan. Basically the only Canadian resort I could find which had a decent creche "on the hill" and took them from 6 months was LL. Everywhere else was 18 months or you needed to use a local nanny service, which seemed extortionate if you've only got one to worry about!

The US resorts seemed to have a lot more options, e.g., Breckenridge, Keystone & Copper were a few I looked at. However, the downside of these places is that there are multiple "base lodges" which could mean that you come down the wrong bit and are racing around to collect nipper before they toss him/her out in the snow! Wink However, the US did have many more places which took them from 6 months.

In the end I decided on Mark Warner in Europe - I can drive (i.e., load the car with baby paraphenalia) and the nanny is in the chalet itself so the baby won't even need to be schleped across town.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Alexandra,

Thank you very much for your help, I really appreciate it. We are now scanning Lake Louise and also going to check out Mark Warner. Its strange how its a completely different ball game when you have your 1st nipper! Oh well I am sure I will get enough "snowtime" in.

Thank you once again and hope you have a great Christmas.

Rob
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No problem. Smile MW can be prohibitively expensive, however as we're not yet tied to school holidays very good deals can be had - they also do a discount if you're a SkiClub member of there's a code on the mumsnet website. I think the nanny service was 285 a week (6 days) which is not cheap - but the convenience of not having to get him dressed up and dragged 20 minutes across town before the lifts open is a bonus! They also gave me a discount as I won't be using the flight but of course driving instead. There is also the possibility to have them looked after in the evening within the chalet which is also great - although tbh our social life isn't up to much these days anyway! Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mobsta007, We have used Lake Louise and Jackson Hole a lot for our kids - both have excellent facillities. Not used the daycare at JH but it starts at 6 months and is on the hill. If you want a simple holiday and shopping/nightlife is not too important, fly to calgary, book a private shuttle to the Lake Louise Inn, and it is a 5 minute bus each day to the hill.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mobsta - another thing I considered was that most of the flights to Canada/US get you in around dinner time after the transfer and I didn't want the faff of trying to acquire a cot/high chair at that time of night - even if it had been pre-arranged by phone/mail. The MW places will have all of that in place. I wouldn't want my 6 month old in a "real" bed.

But, if you fancy Canada, I cannot recommend LL enough and the Lake Louise Inn is great - I've spent literally months there! Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alex,

I really appreciate your responses, and you stoatsbrother, very much appreciated......... its a whole new thing for me with my first child, cant wait for her to be challenging me down the sloaps.

Thank you all, am going to start booking !
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mobsta007, if you haven't been to Lake Louise you'll enjoy it + they have just received a good dump of snow to kick the season off proper.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
In Canada the legal requirements for under 18month old babies for daycares are very onerous. So they simply don't offer spaces to this age group. If you go back to work before 18 months, you generally have to use a childminder rather than nursery. Of course there are exceptions to this, like LL daycare, but its why there are few of them.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother coming over the Atlantic with such a young baby and going to a non-purpose built resort. I would take full advantage of one of the british companies offering the full service, eg family ski company, ski famille, esprit etc.

Even though the ski shuttle from LL Inn is only 5 mins it will be a hassle with a baby (especially if its -20). Plus the pool at LLI is cold for a baby and the hot tub too hot. Give all of you a break, have a quick flight, quick transfer, good food and go to europe!

Save Canada for the following year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks gryphea, very good points indeed. If not Canada, then what about the US? We just really enjoy the hospitality of the US and Canada, but may still go to Europe.

Thanks again for your advice.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mobsta007,

Have no idea about US! I wouldn't go to the altitude of many colorado resorts with an 6 month old. I would still consider Europe and then out over Atlantic the following year when the baby still flies free but will be walking around and be able to go to daycares more easily. Then you could try Big White , Silver Star, Fernie, Panorama etc

I would go to a chalet with large bedrooms but some relaxed living space, nothing worse than being cooped up in a hotel room with a baby. Use the money you have saved by not flying to buy yourself some better hospitality in Europe. Canada is expensive for brits atm.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
6 years ago we used the creche at Alta in Utah for 9 days for a 5 month old. They took them from a lot younger than that, and were excellent. They were also quite happy back then to let you ski at Snowbird (the adjoining resort) while your child was at Alta. It was a bit of a pain in that you have to drive up Little Cottonwood Canyon each day to get to the resorts but other than that, the snow was incredible (they ahve some of the highest amounts of snow each year in the US) and we loved it. The resorts are just 40 mins from Salt Lake City too, so transfers were simple, and plenty of reasonably priced lodging to be had.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy