Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Reasons to be CHeerful Part II

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
DAY 1: WEDNESDAY 01 DECEMBER 2010

Flew from Cardiff to Geneva via Amsterdam at mid-day under clear, sunny skies. Geneva Airport had been closed all day Tuesday due to too much snow on the runways, but was open as I set off.

I used SkyScanner to get the best price, and ended up choosing Bravofly flying with KLM. Both excellent, easy and quick.

http://www.skyscanner.net/
http://www.bravofly.co.uk/vg1/flights.do

Was due to fly to Geneva at 17:30, but Geneva decided to close again, at 17:00 !

I was directed to the layover desk and 45 mins later I was in my Amsterdam Airport Hotel (HC) for the night.

Reading the horror stories of people spending 1-3 days in Geneva Airport with no support I was very happy that I went with a regular airline over one of the low-cost options.

The 'compensation' package was:

B&B accommodation
15 euro voucher for dinner
50 euro voucher off next flight
2,000 airmiles

DAY 2: THURSDAY 02 DECEMBER 2010

Set off from Amsterdam at 10:30 and was in Territet (just passed Montreux) around 16:00 courtesy of Swiss Rail. Amazing service, my only complaint being the rail pass deals have to be booked weeks in advance.

http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

I was staying with Kath Lyon again, she of this May TR

TR: Zermatt and Chamonix - May the Pow Be With You
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=64389

The view from Kath's balcony with the anticipation of more snow

Took a walk down to the Montreux Christmas Market that evening for some vin chaud, tartiflette and churros. This year's theme is a Russian Christmas.

DAY 3: FRIDAY 03 DECEMBER 2010

Kath went to work and I commuted to GLACIER 3000 above Les Diablerets.

The Swiss Rail site wanted to send me via Gstaad for 67 CHF r/t, but I chose to go via Aigle and up to Les Diabrelets for 37 CHF r/t

Bit of a wait for the bus connection in Les Diabrelets. It was freezing and nothing was open so I decided to walk and hitch hike. Quite a few cars and vans passed but none stopped. I guess hitching isn't the done thing in this town.

I was warmed up at least when I got to the lift station!

Beautiful sunny morning with great visibility, deserted with fabulous piste and off-piste conditions. Fantastic powder - light and mid thigh at times, first face shots of the season. Had to hike for those though.

Shame there wasn't more terrain open and I wasn't with someone who knew what was good to go. Ducking the ropes, turns were possible to the car park, but I was solo and didn't want to risk it first time there. That stuff looked great. Next time.

The park rats were in 7th heaven though.

Saw these two guys hiking up to a little rock above the glacier, skied around and caught these pics

The clouds rolled in and the light got flat so I took the tram down for lunch at the restaurant beside the base station.

It was fantastic. Mountain goat in a mushroom and red wine sauce, with red & green cabbage, grapes, chestnuts and spaetzle. Bottle of red and an espresso and I was ready for the return train journey back to Territet.

latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looks a lovely trip..... nice snow Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers Smile

DAY 4: SATURDAY 04 DECEMBER 2010

Spent the day at VERBIER as one of the chaperones for the ski racing team from Kath's school. There was a lot of standing around and herding children through the lift system, but once on snow the conditions were great.

Sunshine all day, cool temps, not too many people on the piste, hardly any off it. Some very impressive lines put in considering the coverage.

Kath and one of her charges talking tactics. Some impressive lines put in behind her

When we did have a chance to freeski Kath and I didn't have to go searching too far to find this patch of goodness - 100m from the top of the gondola station at 3:30 in the pm

Although there was limited terrain on offer on what was my first visit to Verbier, there was more than enough to keep me happy. And it certainly won't be the last visit. I can see what all the fuss is about.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Loking good.

Both the conditions and the piccies.

T minus 32 days snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
nice lunch Cool
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sweet for early december and that lunch looks amazing. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DAY 5: SUNDAY 05 DECEMBER 2010

After a fantastic dinner at Le Cookie in Villars on Saturday night and a lie in Sunday morning, Kath and I plumped for LEYSIN on a greybird day.

The threat of rain was imminent and the temperature had increased significantly from the day before. So heading for a resort with tree lined runs and runs in the trees seemed like the way forward.

A cheap day pass due to limited terrain and lifts open - 28 CHF - and no lines made for a very enjoyable day.

http://www.leysin.ch/en/index.cfm

We started with the groomed runs off La Berneuse and then worked our way further and further skiers left off the Tete d'Ai chair.

The previous day's sunshine had warmed the snow pack and created a sun crust reminiscent of a creme brulee, but the shaded slopes and snow in the trees offered boot top to knee deep pow.

Kath in the Leysin trees

Kath slutting it in Leysin

Leysin was right up my street and reminded me of my time in Big Mountain, Montana. One to definitely return to.

DAY 6: MONDAY 06 DECEMBER 2010

A travelling day from Montreux to Chamonix to meet up and stay with Tom from Zero G and his better half Laura.

All was going swimmingly until I got to Vallorcine, where French Rail decided to cancel the connection into Chamonix. Waited an hour on the platform in freezing temperatures with nothing open.

It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DAY 7: TUESDAY 07 DECEMBER 2010

Early to bed, early to rise gets Tom and Mike to the Courmayeur prize.

Got to COURMAYEUR, ITALY around 8.30 under overcast, grey skies. A coffee and two croissants later and the sun was starting to poke through the clouds.

http://www.courmayeur-montblanc.com/en/

Limited opening due to avalanche risk, but we found plenty of decent, springy pow to play with off and under the 2-man chair.

The views were fantastic

Tom ready to drop in

The one that got away

Tom under the chair

The clouds rolled in around lunchtime so we stopped for polenta with sausages and mushrooms washed down with a bottle of red, bombardino (sp) and grappa. 34 euros for the two of us. Delicious bargain.

Although the home run was closed we skied it anyway. Heavy pow as we rounded the first corner. Knackered by the time we got back to the car.

Courmayeur's had plenty of snow already, even down to car park level

Cracking day and cracking resort. In colder conditions, the tree skiing would be fabulous. And up high, terrain of the highest order with views to match.

Another resort on the definite return to list.

Many thanks to Kath, Tom and Laura. Switzerland and Italy more than delivered for early season turns.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beautiful
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great TR -Many Thanks
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great photos, son.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Wonderful.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice TR, quite jealous now

MikePow wrote:

In colder conditions, the tree skiing would be fabulous

Word. We were in Courmayeur a couple of seasons ago when one lucky day we appeared to have the best snow in europe. Having played in the freshies getting face shots *on piste* till about 11, we then hit the trees - through the avvy barriers under the two man. Later on we tried the old lift line from the nursery slopes to the bottom of the two man. Awesome.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great stuff Mike *drools*
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy