Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
Just returned (Sat 26th) from skiing based at Morillon 1100 and as previous reports show it was disappearing fast with temps at 22-25 by Fri 25th and as I read it with base snow levels low any new stuff just melts fast.

Positive note is that I'm amazed at how well the piste guys can repair as much as they do overnight, always felt they do a good job but really earning their keep last week.

Low level link to Carroz closed last Wed so just Lanche chair to link-out with. Portet and chamois to Molliet closed as big gaps in base so gradually links are reduced.

like a few others I go regularly to this area and know how good it is, last week they where really struggling though there was still a good week to be had. I'd estimate the "melt level" at close to 2000mtrs so any good conditions are really confined to top of Flaine but the run from Sam/Mori/Carroz i.e. tete-de saix into Flaine and back was fine with enough snow on dolomie to make it better than I've seen in some previous years.

My daughter age-4 was in the ESF Morillion and they had good conditions to learn in and got her using a drag-lift on day 3 and skiing pace/steering/stopping competently enough for us to take her up further for some gentle runs down. My experiences and for those I've rcommended it to are only good for ESF morillon, I do try and tell them in my improving french but many of them are much better at anglais.

We had a very good week, as the numbers on the slopes were low so plenty of room to go faster at the sticky stuff.

It didn't look like it would last much longer with temps that high but good tan though.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Apparently Morillon is closing this weekend! Sairon must have finally given up!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Back to London last night. My last report was Sunday late pm. Woke up at 2am Monday morning and it was snowing heaviliy in Flaine and was still snowing at 4am. Had stopped by daylight but cloud level meant that you couldn't see the top of the mountains. Monday's skiing was having to decide whether to ski fresh powder on piste in very poor visibility or stay low, where the snow was very heavy. Tuesday was a revelation - not a cloud in the sky and the freezing level overnight had probably been down to about 1300m. First thing even the runs down to Carroz and Morillon were OK but the real fun was to be had in the Flaine Bowl. Clouded over by lunchtime but skiied the Gers bowl (excellent condition) and the couloirs off the top of Diamant Noir - had hardly been skiied at all since the snow on Sunday night.

ski3,
Quote:

Positive note is that I'm amazed at how well the piste guys can repair as much as they do overnight, always felt they do a good job but really earning their keep last week.

Totally agree, they're doing a brilliant job.

Sadly, that's my last trip out there this season, back for some walking in the summer, I hope.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We're heading off to Flaine tomorrow for a week. What are the conditions like there at the moment? And can we just hang out around the top? Not sure if it's possible to ski down to the bottom anymore.

What are the chances of them closing early? Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Top half of the mountain is in great condition. Bottom half less so. Links back to Les Carroz and Samoens open. Roughly speaking, anything above 1800-1900m is good (especially North facing). Below that has been rained on/away.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rocsen,

We're off there on the 9th, getting pretty concerned with all reports, if you do get a chance to report back, would be appreciated Very Happy .
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is looking a bit grim. I'll try and update you when I'm there!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rocsen, cheers, have a good one! (hopefully!) rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
seen on the les carroz website that they are closing after Sunday and starting the shuttle bus to Flaine. That must be a couple of weeks earlier this season?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just arrived and its really warm in les carroz.......10 pm and 12 degrees!!

as chrisb, noted Morillon and les carroz are closing tomorrow which is 3 weeks (ish) early,........... I skied on 18th april last year which was the last day for les carroz.

skiing les carroz tomorrow, rock hoppers prepared!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is so warm decided to go for a long walk (6 hours), at the end of the walk went into village to look at lifts open map, 26 degrees! Most of les carroz area closed inc gron, we could see the real lack of snow from araches.

Going to flaine tomorrow........

edit at 10pm...or may be not as its just hammered it down with rain and is due to rain with freezing level at 2600m tomorrow, thats above the top of flaine, supposed to drop later............
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
carroz, thanks for updates, all ears this end.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz, try Grands Montets or Verbier if you've got wheels and motivated to ski. Still ok up high.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BobinCH, See if i can "help" my daughter to decide that she wants to.........its a family ski week you see, my brownie points will go down a little if i disappear on my own....
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am still in Flaine & its rained most of the night at 1600 were my Apt is, went skiing anyway with a good friend who is also the ski club rep this week, raining at the bottom but snowing halfway up & at the top, although the snow is a little heavy it was also soft powder off piste and at the edges snowHead yes we got wet a bit & the viz was bad but I have to say we also had a real hoot Toofy Grin

As Chris said last week was really good with some good snow all over Flaine & we did have a really good time, in fact some of the pistes were unpisted & it was a powder field!!! the Black Crows loved it Twisted Evil

The Pisters have done a brilliant job keeping most of the mountain open, still loads of snow, but not great at the bottom by the Grand Van or the DMC, but hey the rest is OK & it is April Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
Mutley,

Good to hear, so not base wrecking terrain then would you say, paid to take two bags full of skis and was starting to consider old rentals when we get there!
snow report
Daughter refused to go skiing in the rain......no idea why???....so we went on another long walk!! in the rain Puzzled

hopefully tomorrow Puzzled

Mutley, thanks for the update
snow report
Wow - what a poor season overall. Most depressing for those heading out at Easter. Thankfully we were lucky with our skiing this year. I feel for the people going to our apartment next week - still, be nice and warm, maybe they can treat it as an early summer break?
snow report
Yes, we were so lucky at HT. Skied Cascades on the Friday with powder covered piste for 2/3 of it. But there was never that base you need was there. Too late now.
snow report
Still in flaine. Warm weather today and slight veil clouds. Dropped below zero last night so pistes were a bit hard this morning. Pisters are doing a good job. They've started pushing snow down to resort runs so you can still ski all the way down

Snow above 2000 still in decent condition. Below 2000 quite patchy but we're having a great time overall.
Just remember sunblock and thin clothing / jacket

I see temp might be dropping next week...
latest report
As rocsen, said. Didn't drive to flaine, just to le lac chair, then up vernant, large avalanche offpiste. Blue down to flaine was a bit slick!

Steadily softens as morning goes on, faust was a delight with sharp edges. then later in the morning / lunch time as really soft and excellent fun. Was a thin covering of new snow on higher stuff like agate.

Chalet Red down to DMC was covered in stones, alternative green was waterskiing in places, as was going across front de neige.

Various runs are rather thin in places, there are warning signs, and my skis have a bit of a hole in them Shocked

Gers was open, bit of a slush fest at the bottom, top was brill

Overall its a bit like the last week of the season I had last year...but 3 to 4 weeks earlier...

If your going....... its quiet, far fewer people than i expected, just have sharp edges for the morning, warm weather wax and sunscreen and be prepared for the odd hole in your skis....but its not rocker hopper conditions
latest report
carroz,

thanks for detailed update, good to hear your on skis today. Very Happy
snow report
carroz, Thanks for that. Enjoy what's left.....
ski holidays
Looks like Samoens will now remain open for possibly another week (until 13/4 and hopefully 16/4) but to be confirmed. From what we understand they have been moving avalanched snow around and then moving it from secondary slopes onto selected slopes (beginner area) and slopes used for access to Flaine (below Chariande Express). Official news expected today.
snow report
XPeak, Flaine has been "farming" the snow from the stade slope, which is cannoned in december/jan and dumping it on the front de neige. The same on tormaline, they are working very hard. Also they are building an enormous heap of snow near to diamont noir slope, looks like a huge kicker, as the bashers are blowing picked up snow on to the top of it. Also for some reason les carroz piste bashers are going up and down timalets (training perhaps??)

Its is really hot here....nineteen degrees Shocked
ski holidays
This is the latest official notification received from the ski area this afternoon.

It is planned that the Samoens ski area and links to Flaine will be maintained until Wednesday 13 April or Thursday 14 April evening. Then buses to Flaine will be laid.

From Sat 9 April the following lifts will still be opened: Grand Massif Express (GME) from the village to Samoens 1600, Chariande Express Chairlift, Chariande II chair lift, Damoiseaux chairlift, Pendant drag lift and/or Chateau drag lift

A plan is in place for significant work to be carried out from this Saturday to take snow from La Marmotte and the bottom of Dahu in order to guarantee a return via the top of Dahu and Verosse.

Lift Opening times will be amended as follows:

GME : open at 8h15
Téléski Pendant / Château : 8h30 to 15h30
Télésiège Chariande 2 : 8h30 to 15h00

A shuttle service from Morillon 1100 les Esserts will be put in place to and from the GME

In Flaine the links from Vernant (Les Carroz end) will be maintained although conditions are poor
The Gerats lift will close tomorrow
Ski bus shuttles within Flaine will be improved further
A ski kindergarten will be set up at the top of Grandes Platieres (accessed by DMC gondola)
snow conditions
Thanks XPeak that's helpful for someone still teetering on the brink. To go or not to go? Take the suncream and get a couple of days of sliding high up in Flaine, a couple of days mountain biking and a couple of days chilling around Annecy still sounds like a good holiday I guess.

Has there been any mention of reductions in lift pass prices beyond the usual Easter offers? I can't see anything relevant on the website yet. I'm assuming gear hire shops are likely to stay open in Samoens anyway? Does anyone know if that's likely the case? Would just make things slightly easier for those still based there I think.

Beep.
snow report
For sure Beep you may want to leave the fat big mountain skis at home! Currently I believe that the 6 day Grand Massif is sold for the slightly reduced price of 186€ but it may change so it may be best to wait until you get there. Ski shops will certainly remain opened until at least the end of next week. Enjoy the sunshine!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wouldn't fat big mountain skis be perfect in soft slushy snow Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
ski holidays
Quote:

wouldn't fat big mountain skis be perfect in soft slushy snow

and with no overnight freeze it'll be that from the time the lift opens, maybe?
ski holidays
Quote:

wouldn't fat big mountain skis be perfect in soft slushy snow

I'll be taking these and short SLs, cos ive already paid for the baggage, arhhh!!, probably trash em both too!! Or... I could bin the whole idea and sneak in golf clubs instead!! rolling eyes
latest report
Just finished our last day this season, and its was hot, very slushy and excellent fun....but i would worry if going next week, sorry buts there are streams running down some of the lower pistes.

sorry for all the spellings here...i am too tired to look them up.....

Started at 9.30am, top of tormaline was very soft, thick gloop as you got into flaine, they have narrowed the run in places. On the way back on grand vans at 3.00pm it was not complete, brown earth strip across it.

Chalet red is shut, so the only way back down to dmc is the green from that area or the lobster pots, the green is water skiing by about 1pm and very narrow and weaving required to stay on snow and not hit earth and grass. There is a stream running down it next to the parallel drags!

Faust has got rather narrow near the bottom. but is very fine at the top, still excellent fun however. Black Agate was really good, and my daughters first time on it and she did it really well. Fred from the same lift is a slush fest and that is as high as you can get.............

Bottom of gers is skis off to get to the lift, we didn't do it because of that

Best way to ski flaine now is stay high so use the drag in the middle (but only one decent run to it really) the diamont noir chair (which gets queues) or the two chair on the left as you look at up the bowl (they were quite quiet)

It is not really very busy at all except for diamont noir chair, after midday all the classes vanish and its rather dead.

Take your walking boots as there are lots of excellent walks if you get fed up with gloop!!

We had to download down the lac chair to vernant car park as the linking run is mud and grass, the samoens link down to vernant from the fast chair looks very brown.

If it cools down it will be better, but with these temps its summer, not spring......... warm weather wax and a base structure makes things miles better and makes slush quite fun.

End of our season and it has not really been that bad...had at least 5 good powder days and found new off piste here i have never done before...roll on the summer biking and walking .........and next season Laughing
snow report
carroz,
Thanks for a great report, has made my mind up, golf clubs, shorts & hiking boots!! Bug*er where did I put that handicap card!!
snow conditions
gatecrasher, If it gets colder then it will be ok, as the snow will stay, up high is perfectly skiable and ok now just soft, but lower down will not last much longer at this rate of loss.

have a good hols
snow report
carroz, thanks we're staying at flaine foret, not been to this resort but I guess I'll be at the lifts to the top @ 8.15 every morning ha ha!
ski holidays
Well our first day was actually really good fun, got the gondola to the top and stayed there all day, using only the top chairs the snow quality starts out hard and softens by about 10.30-11.00 but seemed to remain relatively good right through at this height, we skied nearly till the last lift but got the gondola back down (my skis survived the day relatively unscathed down the mogul runs etc. I wasn't going to let them get mashed on a homebound blue! Lol!) We had a good look at the runs to the bottom from the gondola and there was one that looked okay! Maybe we'll give that a go today.
snow report
Update, Tues snow, sleat, viz down to 25 m not many people out so slopes had a rest! Snowed overnight and managed to run cannons in the morning on lower slopes into flaine, blue sky powder day wed, could ski back to flaine. But don't expect your skis to stay pristine, Thursday morning snowed a little overnight and hopefully cold enough for cannons again.
ski holidays
Well there is no snow.....but its quiet and mighty fine cycling and walking. Les carroz is very quiet and empty....bliss compared to home!

Went on a 4 hour walk yesterday through the forest....saw 1 other person. Lots of flowers and wildlife.

not all bliss here however......met a friend this morning who had just got back from holiday to find their place burgled....nothing missing they think just every cupboard etc open Puzzled
snow report
Carroz - are you based in the village all year round?
snow conditions
carroz,
Quote:

Well there is no snow

Not even on the upper slopes? wink Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy