Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Grand Massif 2010/2011 snow report, Les Carroz, Flaine, Samoens, Morillon, Sixt Fer a Cheval

Poster: A snowHead
anyone know if there is snow forecast this week? Im out on friday for a long weekend and have my fingers crossed
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
marksovereign, depends where you look. Snow forecast says yes on Friday. Some devices (weather on iphone) says snow every day this week. I know which I would like to believe!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats what I mean - there's even mention of rain on snowforecast Shocked
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
marksovereign, at least if there is some kind of precipitation... there is a chance of it being (or turning to) snow.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Came back yesterday and echo Stevo and rhsr. Marvel now closed and top of dolomie has warning sign for thin cover. Very thin would be a better description but only lasted for abotu 15 metres. If I was out this week I would rent skis unless it snows soon. Best snow on some of the blacks e.g Aigle Noir in Samoens as I guess people are assuming the worse and not skiing them? Had a great time though including a splendid, v expensive lunch at Les Servages in Les Carroz
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

there's even mention of rain on snowforecast

too true; it's pretty warm at the moment. But looks like getting cooler..... fingers crossed.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just back, 3 days skiing, sat/sun/monday. good conditions up high, awful down low, some locals are talking about les Carroz closing this week, connection to flaine pretty ropey and Perce Neige and Dolomie awful yesterday getting back. Beautiful yesterday in the sun, but it needs lots of snow to even think about any decent skiing in april. Wouldn't want to own skis in those conditions.
Mephisto all the way down is my favourite run, red then blue then down past the snow park, (celestine i think) right down into flaine centre.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
out with the rock hoppers and then the ptex in 2 weeks then.............but then again it may snow....lots........ Very Happy or not!

last year at the start of april it was not that brilliant...then it snowed and it was great for 3 to 4 days.

Just over 2 weeks ago Gers bowl was brilliant powder...it can all change, quickly
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I skied in Samoens and to the bottom of the Grand Vans lift in Flaine on Monday, and in Samoens and Flaine yesterday. I agree with risb98 about the conditions on Monday and they were noticeably worse yesterday, especially in the afternoon. The high runs in Flaine still had some beautiful snow though (we did Faust which was great at the top, slushy with a fair few stones about nearer the bottom and Lucifer which was pretty good all the way down to the village actually, looking forward to trying Mephisto tomorrow or Friday after the recommendations above). It's really warm today and I understand it's pretty slushy up in Samoens at least.

Oh, I forgot, we also skied down Fred yesterday. Snow good there too although we got caught by the flat bit so had to do some walking. I hope that the elderly French couple who were having their sandwiches just off the side of the piste under a blind drop lived to tell the tale. My brother-in-law had been about to ski over it so my OH had skied down to check out what was underneath. Obviously that was the responsible thing to do but I don't know if everyone would have, especially if they knew the piste. After dithering a bit I politely asked if they knew that people might ski onto them, but they said (with a Gallic shrug) "mais... c'est pas le piste". "Quand-meme..." I said as I pointed at the snowboard track on which they were sitting, but they didn't seem to be bothered. Shocked

Had a very nice omelette montagnarde at La Luge a Teran on the Dahu piste in Samoens on Monday and a somewhat less impressive lunch at L'Epicea in Flaine yesterday. I was so pleased to sit down after the stony porridge at the bottom of Faust that I didn't much care though!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
NatalieG, Thanks for the update... I am seriously concerned for my work colleague who goes on Sunday Sad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm seriously concerned for my Skis!!!!
Whats happened to this snow forecasted for this week?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
marksovereign, Hire some...it will be less expensive than the repairs!

according to cham meteo snow tonight and tomorrow, but it may be rain under 1600m, but thats bottom of flaine so it should be ok, but perhaps not so good for base les carroz

Its skiing anyway so enjoy it...better than work
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is raining a little now in Samoens village but I doubt that it is cold enough to be confident of it being snow on the mountain. We were out (in the village) in thin jumpers this morning, although it is cooler now that the sun has gone in. I don't know the area well enough to know if the conditions are poor enough to make it impossible to get over to Flaine (where there was some really good snow yesterday) but I would definitely worry about your skis. I'm already feeling a bit embarrassed about having to give mine back to the hire shop. Embarassed
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's what insurance is for...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
carroz,
Quote:

better than work

Indeed snowHead Although it IS sounding grim. We were so lucky at HT - even Cascades was OK the one day it opened that week. But there's time for snow yet although the base is disappearing low down again I guess. Not the best season it seems.
snow report
Looks like Chamonix-Meteo.com got it right again - good to see the mountians looking white again. Let's hope it lasts.
snow conditions
Light snow up on the Samoens side at the moment according to my OH (I am in the village on baby duty where it has been raining all morning). Fingers crossed for a great last day's skiing tomorrow. snowHead
ski holidays
Any news on conditions today?
latest report
Webcams looking quite clear above cloud, am currently in the slowest queue in the world waiting to buy a pass so will let you know about the snow anon!
snow conditions
thanks we are on our way in about 2 hrs yipee
snow report
Well, will post more later but today was fantastic. Snow over in Flaine was awesome on the upper slopes and mostly really lovely spring snow on the lower ones. Back over in Samoens where conditions are similar to lower slopes in Flaine with the exception of the top of percé Neige and Dahu which were a bit dodgy, but still better than earlier this week. Weather has been beautiful today but still a bit colder than earlier in the week which is obviously good news. snowHead
ski holidays
I agree NatalieG, I was in Flaine today, spent all day up to 3pm off piste!
Seems to be the best snow in the area by far.
latest report
Back at the chalet now with achey legs. Today was brilliant. We got the Grand Massif Express about 9.30 this morning and headed straight over to Flaine. Bottom of Dolomie much better than when I last skied down it on Tuesday afternoon. Biggest queue of the week at the Vernant lift over to Flaine and Tourmaline down to the village again much better than the beginning of the week.

Snow above Flaine was great. We stuck to chairlifts today and did Mephisto from the top down to the village first, then back up for Faust, then Lucifer, then Belzebuth (taking the Perdrix and Plate chairs up rather than going all the way to the bottom each time). My OH and brother-in-law spent most of the time playing in the off piste between the runs while I mostly stuck to the pistes, occasionally bleating "be careful of those holes!" at them. Pistes were mostly sort of choppy powder and I understand the off piste was great fun. Further down, there was some beautiful spring snow and some patches of boilerplate but totally different to the conditions at the beginning of the week. We skied in Flaine until about 3pm and then headed back over to Samoens, where tackling the ropey snow at the top of Perce-Neige was not helped by being caught in a thick bit of cloud, but snow was mostly pretty nice spring snow almost down to Samoens 1600.

Weather was mostly clear blue sky, with bits of cloud hovering about which seemed to miraculously clear as we approached them (until Perce-Neige) - very decent of them. Although very sunny it was definitely colder than earlier in the week and there were some very black clouds over the valley as we took the GME back down to the village, so hopefully that will bode well for marksovereign.

Really some of the most enjoyable conditions I have ever skied in today (not that I have a vast amount of experience, but still). We didn't have lunch until we got back over to Samoens (where we got a plate of charcuterie and cheese at La Luge a Teran as they'd closed the kitchen, it being 4pm) because we didn't want to stop skiing, and I am not a girl who misses her lunch lightly!

marksovereign, have a fantastic week. stevo_the_saddler, hope your work colleague has a good time too. It has been my first time in the Grand Massif and I am a definite convert to the skiing in Flaine.
snow conditions
NatalieG, Thanks for the update - I have emailed her
latest report
NatalieG, Thanks for excellent report...there in 2 weeks hopefully it won't all vanish! Very Happy
ski holidays
NatalieG,
Quote:

I am a definite convert to the skiing in Flaine

Yup, it's not bad is it. It's ideal for "good" intermediates, not over-inundated with blacks but a cruisers playground. Flaine is good if you have a mixed group as it's easy to keep meeting up e.g. the blues / reds served by the Col de Plate lift. Glad you enjoyed it. Very Happy
snow conditions
carroz, hopefully not. It was pouring with rain in the village as we left this morning and according to the weather forecast on the residence notice board the snowline overnight was due to be 1400m - so should be a good day today at least! We're home now... Sad

billb, thanks.
latest report
Got back this Sat. It has been very sunny all week apart from Thurs morn when we did get snow and it was snowing when we left Sat morn. Conditions up top very good. Off piste was OK but did take a few nicks out of the skis lower down, mates board took a very bad knock. Fun park in good condition. We did ski out of the bowl but conditions are not good, very slushy so if you are going to Flaine stay in the bowl. Lower down not good late in the day.
The black down to the Gers lift was very good as was the off piste there as well shame its a killer of a long drag.Piste bashers are doing a very good job
Locals say this has been the hottest sunnyest season they can remember. Its the high temps that are the problem,even when they do a get a nice fall of the snow its just doesn't take long for the sun to melt whats laid as i think the ground base is just to warm.
We had a great time time and can recommend Flaine but unless they get a lot of snow before Easter then i would look elsewhere also Beer and food prices are stupidly high and we will not be returnning to France next year
Can recomend Simmond Sports next to the Flyin Dutchman for ski and board repairs. They did a great repair on my mates board inc service,wax etc for 29 euros and the guys that run the bowling alley nice guys.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mightysaints, Agree about prices... however suspect most of the Eurozone is same. I hear Bulgaria is cheap Puzzled Blush Little Angel
ski holidays
The prices have rearly hit home this year. We have done Bansko twice and it looks like it will be Bansko again next year. Beer and food very cheap so its going to have to be Bansko or nothing next year. Bansko has it faults but doesn't every resort have its little problems.
ski holidays
Just back from a long weekend based in Morillon. We've been going for the past 6 years and i've never seen so little snow when we got there on friday. Skiing Saturday started in Morillon in heavy rain and went over to Flaine where it absolutely dumped down with snow and we had great conditions on Saturday and Sunday in Flaine -unfortunately none of Les Carroz , Samoens or Morillion got the snow - Morillons resort run Sairon is getting desperate in the afternoon being unpleasant to ski down - very very heavy and wet - some of the links are verging on needing to be closed .Perce Neige is horrible later on and one link down to les Carroz has just about gone in places. Samoens too is getting very browwn and slushyIf you are going you will need to go over to Flaine but it is very very busy on the links. The restaraunts too are very pricey we averaged Euro 20 a head for very ordinary lunches in Flaine - When will the French realise they are taking the p*ss, we are back to Austria next year.
So the skiing in Flaine was great but be aware if you are not staying in Flaine wyou will need to get a Grand Massif pass which is not cheap to guarantee some good snow and put up with crowded links.
Ok so its late season and a poor year but it still costs money same so think about going high or going to austria or italy before going to the GM
ski holidays
marksovereign,
Quote:

think about going high or going to austria or italy before going to the GM

Flaine is 1600m up to 2500m which is higher than many Austrian resorts (more west so it needs to be) and I'd say it usually provides good snow conditions up to Easter, as good as an average Austrian resort and maybe better than Italian resorts. But this is no typical season - without a drop in temps and significant snow it's nearly over (unless, of course, you go to Tignes or VT or the like although they could still have soft snow/ slush). The GM has an excellent snow record. Last year it was virtually a write-off just before Easter - then it snowed......so it could happen again this time.
snow conditions
billb wrote:
marksovereign,
Quote:

think about going high or going to austria or italy before going to the GM

Flaine is 1600m up to 2500m which is higher than many Austrian resorts (more west so it needs to be) and I'd say it usually provides good snow conditions up to Easter, as good as an average Austrian resort and maybe better than Italian resorts. But this is no typical season - without a drop in temps and significant snow it's nearly over (unless, of course, you go to Tignes or VT or the like although they could still have soft snow/ slush). The GM has an excellent snow record. Last year it was virtually a write-off just before Easter - then it snowed......so it could happen again this time.

Bill my point is that its a poor year and that if you are staying outside Flaine you need a GM pass ( which isnt cheap)and the skiing in the satelite resorts is not good now, below c 1400m it is very hard work and save your money and go high or go East . I like the GM area, the skiing in Flaine above 1700 m was great , but the links in places are verging on dangerous.
snow conditions
The GM pass isn't that much more than the area pass from memory... but, it sounds like it is essential at the moment. I advised my friends to buy on a daily basis (rather than weekly) even though it costs more.... it give option to have a day off if it gets worse. WHERE IS THE MARCH DUMP????? Usually happens about now.
snow report
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
The GM pass isn't that much more than the area pass from memory... but, it sounds like it is essential at the moment. I advised my friends to buy on a daily basis (rather than weekly) even though it costs more.... it give option to have a day off if it gets worse. WHERE IS THE MARCH DUMP????? Usually happens about now.

Steve I think the big problem is that its so warm - when there is some snow like we had over the weekend its soon gone- once the base warms up you are going to struggle!
It would have to be a good snow year for me to go this late again to the GM
latest report
marksovereign, We have been going to GM for 6 years (twice a year). The GM has a fantastic ski record and is usually skiable until end April, May and would be beyond if the lifts were open! This year has been poor as has most of France. I have been lucky with both my trips thankfully... I just feel for those staying in our apartment.
ski holidays
We had a great day in Flaine on Monday - we would usually drive to Samoens from Les Gets and take the gondola up from there and ski over to Flaine - but I am averse to thick, heavy snow in the afternoons for the return so we just drove to Flaine itself and parked there - few euros for the day I think. Met up with friends who have an apartment there so we had our 'guides' for the day. We did go up the Grand Vans lift at lunchtime and started off for a restaurant they know but decided it was better to head back to Flaine itself as the snow was getting heavy. Its a year since I have been there - thick snow with no vis. towards the end of January 2010 so lovely to have really good conditions and to be able to see - but we did stay high all day, apart from that little exercise.
snow report
I was in Samoens last week and the snow was, well there wasn't any except up top on GM, but everyone was up there.
A bad year for most resorts I guess.
latest report
marksovereign, Yes, I see your point. At Easter I'd only go to Flaine itself (I'm not this year) although if you want really good conditions, anywhere is a bit of a lottery I guess (apart from the Rockies if you can afford it).
snow report
In Flaine for a few days. Did a few runs in the bowl, where it was cordruoy in places, but skiable. Went over to Carroz, down to the bottom. Quite heavy towards the bottom, even at 11am. Perce Neige was OK but was told by others that in the pm it gets pretty bad. Getting down to the bottom of the Chariande Express in Samoens was OK, but then decided to come back across to the Flaine Bowl. The runs off Serpentine at the top were OK down as far as the bottom of the Diamant Noir/Col de Plate chairs but below that quite treacly by 2pm. Some white stuff started falling out of the sky about 2.30 (it would be stretching it to call it snow!) so went up Lindars Noir. What have they done to Fred, the red run off the top? They have redirected the piste and ruined it, IMHO.

It is now 6pm and drizzling in the resort, but presumably snowing lightly higher up. Very few people around for a Sunday, but I guess the locals don't bother to come out unless the conditions are better.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy