Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is it ever a good idea to buy 2nd hand Ski Boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Quick question about Ski Boots:

My girlfriend & I are planning on a late deal to Europe early in the new year and have both been skiing once a long time ago.

Obviously in the long run we’d benefit from good, well fitting boots if we enjoy ourselves and can see ourselves going every year, but I’m wondering whether it might actually be worth grabbing some 2nd hand boots for this trip as it’s likely to cost less than hiring, and from what I remember the hire boots weren’t that impressive (about ahem, 15 years ago!) – I’ve seen quite a few well known makes in both our sizes on a well known auction site which appear to be in good condition round about the £40 - £80 mark.

We’d still need to hire skiis. Do you think it’s worth looking into or am I just opening up a can of worms?!? (Buying without trying / lack of pro fitter etc.)

Cheers!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last hire boots I used were pretty good and the shop spent time finding a pair that fitted well.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Tiffin, that's good to know. In all honesty, part of my thinking is down to price. I need to do more research as I've only really just started looking but I was surprised to see prices as low as I've just found which is really what got me thinking along these lines. Thanks again.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you can try them first and they are comfy and work for you... why not!

I had some hand-me-downs a few years ago that were excellent for me!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Monster, if you are hiring skis, the difference between skis only and skis-and-boots will be less than what you'll pay for a decent pair from a well known auction site. There's more chance of them fitting well (ski hire shops will have more than one kind of boot for you to try) and if they cause problems, you can go back.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
All good points. I've just been onto Snowbrainer and I see what you mean Pam. I'm really annoyed, there's a pair of Salomon 9.6 expert oprima's going on ebay right now for about £17 plus pnp which if they sell for that price seem too good a deal to pass up but I obviously take your point about not having been able to try them. Time for a quick coffee I think!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
(Make that Optima's) (Honestly, my typing!)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep totally, we sell lots of second hand shells. I would rather sell second hand high end shells than new low end shells. New Liner, new footbed. yeah ya.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you mean go for it?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
(1 minute left, ahhhhhh!)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Panic over. They just went to somebody else for £31 plus £12pnp. (Wow, that was almost as exciting as I expect the holiday to be!!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I took the view that I'll give the Auction site ones a try and if they don't work out, I'll stick them back up for sale - may cost me £10 in losses at worst.
So far I got a pair of Salomon Flyers which appear to be a bargin. They look like they may have done a few weeks max and better than any hire boots I got in the past.
Haven't used them in anger yet though.
My wifes Nordica's should be turning up any day now.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 13-12-10 13:21; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Smile

I've just sold my first boots purchased in this manner, they were usable but too big.

As the SMALLZOOKEEPER says there is nothing wrong with them, but the ones he sells are probably fitted correctly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hmm, not a bad one for me to drive her crazy with as I mull over the different possibilities while munching on mince pies!!

Clearly there's merrit in both arguments. What do you guys think to be a reasonable price If I were to decide to take a punt on a decent branded pair with only a few seasons use? (I know, how long's a piece of string?!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Brian Barrett, the "Flyers" are a junior boot aren't they ??
snow conditions
I have skinny feet and generally find it hard to get any boots tight enough for me, so rightly or wrongly, I thought I'd give them a try. Although I'm 5' 10", I'm of a reasonably light build and they seem to fit me well. I think they are only flex 70 though, which could be an issue, but we will see.
snow report
Brian Barrett,
Quote:

only flex 70 though, which could be an issue

I'd think so...
ski holidays
Hire boots are practically only about E20 in most 1 week packages so I wouldn't imagine it worthwhile unless you are getting them practically free OR can try them on...I've 'sold' old boots in the past to colleagues who could try them on beforehand, no problems - but wouldn't risk an internet purchase, or suggest it to anyone. aj xx
latest report
Thanks a.j. (Btw, E20?)
snow report
20 Euro. Can be hard to find the € key on some keyboards. (Alt-Gr and 4 commonly.)
ski holidays
Ahh, cheers Rob!
ski holidays
Well got my second pair from aforementioned auction site for my wife
Nordica N5.2W with adjustable flex and also ski-walk switches
Although a bit liftqueue scuffed - they appear to be in good order and for under £20, they can't be bad
snow conditions
Monster wrote:
(Wow, that was almost as exciting as I expect the holiday to be!!)

coool... can i come on holiday with you? sounds like a right laugh! Laughing
snow report
Touché! Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy