Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Overweight not-quite-beginner ... general advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Heya,

I'm after some advice about getting back into skiing. Firstly, let me explain where I'm coming from:

I have skied about three/four times previously (i.e. having been on at-least-one-week skiing holidays), and got to a level of transitioning to non-snowplough turns, albeit not necessarily with any great elegance. The last time though was about 15 years ago, and I'm now a large, 33-year-old man with below-average fitness. I used to regularly do 20+ mile cycle rides last year, and managed to haul myself around the Reading Half-Marathon this year (albeit slowly), but I've done precious little exercise since then, unfortunately. I'm 6'2" tall, and approx 22 stone, which is 2 stone heavier than when I ran the half-marathon earlier in the year, and about 3-4 stone heavier than when I last skied. For me at least, it seems that new relationships are not conducive to eating healthy food and finding time to exercise!

Anyway, with my brother going snowboarding again next year, and my new partner having previously enjoyed skiing holidays herself, I'm discovering a new-found enthusiasm for going again. I also have a new keep-fit plan planned for post-Xmas which should get me back to a good level of fitness, however I am keen to get started before then. Also, as I've not skied for so long, I'm not sure how much I'm going to have to learn again, and how much is "like riding a bike". Back when I last skied, it was all about ski length for tall/large people, but these days I believe less so? I was hoping maybe this weekend, or within a few weeks at least, to head to the snow place at Milton Keynes to see for myself whether I remembered how to ski.

So, here's the real question now ... what should I expect? What will I need from the skis to support my weight/height; i.e. will I have any problems finding some suitable ones there? Are there any specific tips for returning-skiers? Should I start with a lesson, or just see how I go on my own?

Advice very much appreciated Smile

DaKid
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaKid, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

If you can get to Milton Keynes, you would presumably have no difficulty in getting to Hemel? In that case, I would warmly recommend a few sessions with http://www.insideoutskiing.com/ to get you back into the groove - perhaps a holiday tune-up clinic, or an improver's course, or even a private lesson or two.
Rob (snowHead rob@rar) and Scott (snowHead skimottaret) are excellent instructors. Their prices include equipment hire, so you can experiment with ski length. (The hire skis at Hemel are Heads, and quite acceptable.)

Good luck!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Didn't even know there was one there. I'm not really very familiar with the area, but Google Maps suggests that Hemel is actually about half an hour closer to me in Maidenhead!

I think what I might do is spend an hour recreationally skiing to find my feet again. Given that I used to be able to do parallel turns almost all the time, and that I have experience without falling over/off of all sorts of lifts, I ought to be ok really.

From that first session, I can then decide whether I want to take it further and prepare for a holiday, or whether I'm past enjoying it!!

Thank you for that ... much appreciated.

Out of interest, any idea how much lessons would cost from the two charming people you mentioned? Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DaKid wrote:
Out of interest, any idea how much lessons would cost from the two charming people you mentioned? Smile

£89 for a clinic or for a private lesson, which includes slope access and hire of ski kit if you require it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you. Seems pretty reasonable. May get in touch about it after my first visit.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DaKid,
Quote:

a large, 33-year-old man with below-average fitness. I used to regularly do 20+ mile cycle rides last year, and managed to haul myself around the Reading Half-Marathon this year (albeit slowly), but I've done precious little exercise since then, unfortunately. I'm 6'2" tall, and approx 22 stone, which is 2 stone heavier than when I ran the half-marathon earlier in the year,

- so you know 90% of the answer then Skullie
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DaKid, did you get to Hemel as yet? If so, how did it go?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scrumpy wrote:
so you know 90% of the answer then Skullie

LOL ... oh, the answer to better, more athletic skiing is easy in my case ... make there be less DaKid to carry down the mountain Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
TallTone wrote:
DaKid, did you get to Hemel as yet? If so, how did it go?

Yes, I did; thank you for asking. I went for a recreational hour with my girlfriend and really enjoyed it, apart from the uncomfortable boots. I then had a 90-minute lesson with Rob from Inside-out skiing which was really good, and I've since been again to test the new boots I've bought from Solutions4Feet, although they weren't quite perfect first-time. I'll be up there again this weekend, hopefully, as I have now got some custom liners to improve things!

In terms of technique, I pretty much remembered everything the first time I went, at the beginning of January. Rob certainly helped loads, although I hope to have at least one more lesson before I go. I know that I wasn't putting everything into practice on Saturday that he talked to me about, so obviously I need things to be hammered into my thick skull, rather than remembering everything first time Wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy