Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shun tech but dump the doughnuts

Poster: A snowHead
That's he conclusion of a randomised trial in the BMJ on the efficacy of expensive bikes over cheaper models. Would a randomised trial of expensive ski gear - skis, boots, bindings, clothing - come to the same result? Would we be better to buy our gear from Aldi and ebay, and spent the savings on a personal trainer?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basically, yes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basically, no.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Possibly yes, possibly no
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Basically, it could be yes or no depending on various variables.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Jonny Jones, it was a joke - like most of the stufff in the xmas BMJ.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I vote yes

Last year (Spring 09), for reasons unrelated to ski-ing, I lost 22 lbs

in the winter 09-10 I found I was able to ski longer, edge better, hold the correct posture for longer ... it improved my skiing no end and it didnt cost a penny

(Oh except for a new jacket and salopettes as the old ones made me look like Leo Sayer)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So....if I bought my clothing in Aldi and invested in a personal trainer it would stop me getting cold and wet on windy, snowy days?

Wow! That's some trainer. Maybe if I get an extra lesson I'll be able to ski in just my underpants, thereby solving any excess luggage dilemmas wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you are skiing to lose weight or get to the office quicker, perhaps.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother, blimey, you can see they write their own material - it's a hell of an effort to go to to make a joke!

If it's any comparison, I'm a lot quicker on my carbon race bike compared to my heavier aluminium winter bike, I'm even quicker on my more aero (but slightly heavier than race bike) time trial bike. This is comparing times on the same course, same time of the week every week over the summer, similar traffic conditions (none or very little) & varying weather conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
how much is "a lot"? no idea what level of riding you do, hammerite, but would like an idea as for a WC ski racer 0.5s would be "a lot" (as it could mean 10 places difference in finish), whilst most recreational skiiers / boarders would probably not regard even 10s less down a normal (say) red piste as "a lot" faster.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
4kg off the bike v 4kg off the biker. No contest.
4kg off the bike costs around £4000!

Its all about the bike- get a Kawasaki.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am a below average club rider. The first time I rode my TT bike around the evening league 10 mile course I was about 90 seconds slower than my previous time on my light race bike (a lot slower!), I hadn't got used to the bike. The next time I rode the route on my TT bike I was about a minute quicker than my best time on the race bike.
The race bike compared to the heavy winter bike (which started off life as my main bike so didn't have mudguards on it like it does now), made about 60 seconds difference.

Unless the course is hilly aerodynamics makes a bigger difference than weight.

Me not being a highly trained cyclist make all the numbers a bit silly though. I may just be a bit fitter to set a faster time, I may just be more rested to set the faster time, I may just be in a good frame of mind, it may be raining so I have to tip toe round corners, the wind may not be in my favour....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The fact is though I absolutely love riding the race bike, it cost 4 times as much as the winter bike, but is so much more comfortable and nicer to ride.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stoatsbrother wrote:
Jonny Jones, it was a joke - like most of the stufff in the xmas BMJ.
Of course it's a joke - you don't need to read more than a couple of paragraphs to see that. But, like many of the best jokes, it hides a hefty degree of insight behind its light-hearted exterior. Realistically, once you get beyond a reasonably entry level of equipment, I don't think that the average recreational skier would improve noticeably regardless of how much s/he (but usually he!) spent on gear.

Whitters wrote:
So....if I bought my clothing in Aldi and invested in a personal trainer it would stop me getting cold and wet on windy, snowy days?
I haven't tried Aldi ski gear, but my £15 Aldi soft-shell cycling jacket is perfectly breathable and keeps me wonderfully dry and comfortable in the rain. And my (sadly now defunct after many years of loyal service) cut-price H&M jacket and salopettes never left me cold or wet despite my having used them in extremely adverse conditions.
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, I think there's some truth to it - for example, for those of the constituency who could rightly be described as "all the gear, no idea".

But there are limits. Generally speaking, more expensive (& properly fitted) boots will be more comfortable and perform better, which will directly enhance (augment?) your skiing.

High performance technical outerwear will generally be more expensive because the detail design is simply more expensive to make. That said, we're off to Decathlon next week to have a real good look at the jackets that they're now equipping a bundle of guide companies with. If it's good enough for those guys (even if free)... I'd rather spend €150 and compromise on colour than €500... (Quechua don't have, to my taste, the best colours).

Skis? Well. There's a can of worms. Leaving my somewhat warped by modern consideration personal tastes our of it - I tried a few pairs of skis at Braehead the other week that I would not have skied on even if they were free. The pairs that shone out were Volkls and they're not noted for being cheap.
ski holidays
There's no doubt that expensive tech can feel better, give you more confidence and have a wonderful bling factor. Whether a competent observer would notice the difference in your skiing is a much more moot point...
snow report
Jonny Jones, I was exaggerating I know.....my view is still tainted by a cheap and nasty C&A one-piece suit that a friend of mine had, which on a particularly wild day at the Nevis Range was wet through by lunchtime.
snow report
Whitters wrote:
...C&A one-piece suit...
Ouch! I hope you don't have photos. Did it come with a free mullet haircut?
ski holidays
Jonny Jones, luckily it wasn't me that was wearing it. I had a lovely (!?!) luminous Nevica top Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy