Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Help needed! About twintip ski's

Poster: A snowHead
Hey,

I've been skiing a long time now and would say i'm at a good standard.

I have a pair of K2 Crossfires 174cm

I would like to get a second pair of twintips as i'd like to get into more park stuff, as it looks quite fun.

I'd look to get a pair of second hand ski's probably off ebay or here.

I'm 6" and just under 90kg.

Like i said before i'm a decent standard, like carving going fast.

I had the chance to get a pair of Public Enemy's which are 169. Would they be to short as i know know twintips take off 10mm

Any recomendation would be great

Cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BlueBird13, I'd say so... I'm 5'10" and 74kg and find 177cm's to be fine.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Then again... if you weren't intending to go fast then a shorter ski might not have a disadvantage... maybe some park rats need to comment?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitedot One. You might find it replaces your other skis too Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Black Crow range are pretty damn fine too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
169 seems pretty short for a 90kg 6 footer. I would have thought something around 175-180 would be about right. Depends a bit on whether you want a purely park ski or more of an all rounder.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
im waiting to test a 179 out on the slopes in germamy, im just shy of 6ft, and at the 90kg mark, i should imagine theyd perform on the slope!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You will probably need something around the 180 mark, I'm 6'2" 80kgs and ride 178 park skis. Shorter ski's will be fine for rails and jibbing, but I think with your weight you'll find getting sufficient speed for kickers or the pipe a problem.

Park skis generally feel shorter when they are due to being centrally mounted and soft flexing. They are generally pretty light so you shouldn't find a longer ski restricts you spinning freely very noticeably. More length also equals more forgiveness on landings as you have more nose/tail to land on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the advice guys. I think i'll definetly get a longer ski 175-180 ish will do.

To be honest i just want to hit decent size jumps and ride/land switch.

Maybe even try butters (is that what they're called) Where they manage to rotate on they're skis with the flex they have.

Anyone got anything on Line Invaders?

Would they be more appropriate?

Found some for a decent price at 176's

Cheers again
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've just sold my line invaders in a 178, they are a good jib/rail ski and good for messing around and butters etc. Quite forgiving in the jumps and nice and light and easy to spin, but I'd say there are better jump skis out there if this is what your after. Very good switch due to being totally symmetrical.

They are a decent choice, but there are loads of other good park ski's as well. My only issue with the invaders was I found them a little slow and sticky on the snow at times, which can be an issue when your trying to get speed into a bigger kicker and I often found myself having to take a longer run up or tuck alot more than some of my mates on different skis. They are quite soft and a slightly stiffer park ski might offer more speed into jumps.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Treacle, Cheers bud.

Theres some people in reviews saying they won't last very long? They split etc?

Are these just one off review as i won't be wrecking them doing urban or rails etc

I'm pretty set on these (must be the lumunious pink bases)

Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used mine for a whole season and they came out the other end with next to no damage, I do mainly jumps and pipe though and not many rails, but have had my share of stacks on them in the park and they have always come through unscathed. I guess it depends on how you treat them, some people do much more rails or have a more "abusive" attitude to their equipment than me. There may be tougher ski's out there but I never had any problems with them at all. Never hit any really uber big kickers on them but their happy stomping a 540 on a 50 footer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers again bud. I'll start on the 10 footers first!

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
BlueBird13 i have a friend looking to sell his Salomon 1080s. I think they are 17 something in length and he wants about £120 for them inc bindings, if this is of interest please let me know
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Roger C, Hey, what year/condition are they in? Would anyone recommend these?

Thanks
ski holidays
bumpy bump
snow report
Would you want the din setting right up for doing all this freeride stuff? My Crossfires are at 10 for tearing up the piste.

Cheers
snow report
BlueBird13, If you intend to use these skis purely in the park and the are your first park skis you do not want a ski that is the same length that you would have for skiing elsewhere. The longer your ski the more chance you will have of catching a tip or tail in your first attempts at rotation, you will also find a longer ski a pain in the Ar$e in the pipe when your first starting so whilst you dont want to be on blades you dont necesarilly want a full length piste ski either. Its also easier to spin a shorter lighter ski eithe on the flat or in the air. You dont need speed in the park till you have mastered the technique.

you also want them centrally mounted just to make the balance more suited for the park.

edit: I ride Armada Pipecleaners in the park and they have far more pop on the kickers than the Line's Ive tried (Im nearly same weight and height as you)
ski holidays
Quote:

freeride stuff

Park=freestyle
ski holidays
Quote:

BlueBird13 i have a friend looking to sell his Salomon 1080s. I think they are 17 something in length and he wants about £120 for them inc bindings, if this is of interest please let me know

Hi BlueBird13,

I am the mate of which Roger C spoke. The 1080's are 2005 model white topsheet, in good condition, no base or edge damage, usual marks on the top. They have been skied for about 20 days total as these are my 3rd set and don't get a lot of use. Length is 171. They have Salomon S812ti bindings. If your interested drop me a PM before Friday as I hit the slopes for 2 weeks on Sat Very Happy
ski holidays
kevindonkleywood, Cheers Kev, much appriciated.

What about din settings? Would i keeo them up to? Or put them down a bit a not break things when i land badly

Cheers

Dave
latest report
BlueBird13, I took mine up a bit having broken my arm due to being hit by one of my skis after a really spectacular fail off a jump. Thats just my personal preference as having the ski relaease to easily on a bad landing can be more damaging (IMHO) but I cannot reccomend that and it would have to be up to your own personal judgement. You can ski with your upper body parts in plaster, you can't ski at all if your legs or knees are damaged.
snow report
Great, thanks.

So some people think longer and some people think a bit longer. I guess its personal preference. I'll get the longer ones and have a few shots up north. Then if they're not working for me i'll get some shorter ones before i head to kitz! Laughing

Cheers guys
snow report
There isnt a chart to work out din settings like there is for "normal skiing" is there?

Cheers
ski holidays
Also has anyone experienced the Tyrolia SP 130 bindings? They're the bindings on the Line Invaders i'm probably going to get.

Good/bad? Shite?

Any thoughts would be great

Thanks
snow report
As with kevindonkleywood I have my bindings cranked up high as there's nothing worse than your ski ejecting on a landing that you could have ridden away! Having said that I have also torn my anterior cruciate ligaments in both knees stacking it hard so that is the risk and the choice you make!

I would say probably start low as it might be safer to eject easier when your learning as you will certainly make some mistakes, as you progress and get more confident you may want to start tightening them up a bit.
snow report
Cheers guys, been a lot of help!

Thanks
snow conditions
#

Hey guys,

Could you guys take a look at the picture and let me know if the skis on the left hand side is splitting at all?

It looks to me if the edges arent joining at the top

Cheers
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I assume you are talking about the small vertical gap in the metal edging?

Thats just the join in the edge of the ski.

Its up there because hopefully you are never going to engage that part of the ski so it should not matter if its not a smooth join.

However if there is any movement on the edgeing at that point you may want to look at a little epoxy.

I would be more worried about horizontal splitting (delamination) which is far more likely to be what you have been worrying about

are these your new planks?
ski holidays
I wouldn't worry, pretty sure that's how its meant to be although i would expect it to be the same on both skis. I smashed the tip completely open on my old 1080s. Kind of fixed it with some araldite and a clamp but its certianly worse than that and didn't have any problems with it and have skied a few weeks and a whole season since i did it.
snow conditions
Ok, so its nothing major? Just a sign of use i guess?

They are hopefully going to be posted to me sometime shortly.

As soon as the guy posts these to me
ski holidays
Thats just normal and how it would have come out the factory, as stated above the edge has to join somewhere. I expect if you look at the other end of the other ski you will find the same (invaders are completely symetrical so the fact ones at the tip and one the tail isn't surprising).
snow report
Cheers guys, i thought that it may have cracked or something. Got these posted for £120. Pretty happy with that!
latest report
With bindings too? Thats a steal! Enjoy.....
latest report
yeah bud, tyrolia SP 130 bindings? They ok?

Cheers
ski holidays
BlueBird13, thats a sweet deal.
snow report
Cheers lads, I'll let you know how they go up in Scotland. If they're a bit long for me i'll punt them on here and try and find a shorter pair.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy