Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best resort in the world for a season

Poster: A snowHead
Innsbruck
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitegold wrote:
sah wrote:
freeheelskier wrote:
Quote:

1. Verbier;
2. Val d'Isere.
3. Chamonix

Whitegold, I can agree with U about best in europe,,, but davidd01, ask for best in the world,,,,, Toofy Grin

Well, heliskiing aside isn't European skiing the best in the world anyway wink

But the list is wrong of course, it should read
1. St Anton
2. Chamonix
3. Val d'Isere

Very Happy

St Anton is too downmarket and chickfree.

Puzzled St Anton is full of hot Scandinavian girls...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you want hot Danish girls then Val Thorens is your place. I guide for Trierski. Check out the VT team here http://www.trierski.dk/guideservice/alleguider.lasso?sted=VT

We actually send most Danish guests to Canazei would you believe rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitegold,
Quote:

US resorts are too cold, too cloudy or too small.

Japanese resorts are too cloudy.

European Alpine resorts combine size with snow with sun with atmosphere better than anywhere on Earth.

U think that is good qualite, if a resort are big,,, there is more,,, qualite if the snow,,, to be alone on mountain wit only your friends after the big dump,,, In one thing U have right,, there is more clouds in Japan,, but from clouds comes the snow,,, and there is a little colder in USA and Canada,, but alot of resorts have a good winter from end of ocktober to end of May,,,, But U seems to know,,,, have U been in Utah, Colorado or on Hokkaido?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
freeheelskier wrote:
Whitegold,
Quote:

US resorts are too cold, too cloudy or too small.

Japanese resorts are too cloudy.

European Alpine resorts combine size with snow with sun with atmosphere better than anywhere on Earth.

U think that is good qualite, if a resort are big,,, there is more,,, qualite if the snow,,, to be alone on mountain wit only your friends after the big dump,,, In one thing U have right,, there is more clouds in Japan,, but from clouds comes the snow,,, and there is a little colder in USA and Canada,, but alot of resorts have a good winter from end of ocktober to end of May,,,, But U seems to know,,,, have U been in Utah, Colorado or on Hokkaido?

Things is this feeheelskier. If you're there for a whole season or for many seasons it's nice to have more than 400km of piste with varied terrain and many choices of restaurant etc. It can get boringly tedious guiding the same little patch otherwise especially at Easter when all the guests return and all you want is to do is chill Embarassed
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Things is this gravystuffing, I have skiing all over the world in 30 years,, skiing is a way to live for me,, I will be 50 next year,,, just work to have money for the next trip,,, I have make season at resort 9 year,,, I don´t think alot of skier here have this experience,,,,
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
And for a Real skier,,,, La Grave is top Europe,,,,
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
freeheelskier wrote:
Things is this gravystuffing, I have skiing all over the world in 30 years,, skiing is a way to live for me,, I will be 50 next year,,, just work to have money for the next trip,,, I have make season at resort 9 year,,, I don´t think alot of skier here have this experience,,,,

Very true and boy would I love some Champagne powder in Les Coches.....just once but when you have the whole Paradiski to play with then some resorts seem let's say limited. When I ski in US getting ski in ski out is difficult and going up and down the same lift just to tick off all the trails can seem tedious to someone who regularly cover 40, 50 or 60 km per day. What suits one person doesn't suit another. That's why there is no one perfect resort and we can have so much fun discussing the possibilities wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
freeheelskier wrote:
And for a Real skier,,,, La Grave is top Europe,,,,

...but not for a whole season, huh?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
there's enough stuff to ski in LG and that neck of the woods to keep you going back season after season
on the OP's criteria it falls down on nightlife and laydees however
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If U want good nightlife,,, go to Ibiza,,,, Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Morzine was great,
Great bunch of freindly seasonaires, loads of season accomodation, cheap season pass, huge area with lots of off piste and loads of parks(if thats what you're after, loads of blacks and mogul fields for me!). Sometimes referred to as 'manzine' but that goes for a lot of places. beer is pretty reasonable for the alps.

A season anywhere is what you make of it, good freinds and getting up the hill everyday and sharpening your riding, and a mutzig or two for apres wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK, I'll say it. This question would probably be best answered on Natives.co.uk

I'd say Tignes, but then I am probably a bit biased.

To be honest though, the best resort to do a season largely depends on what you make of your season.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the best resort to do a season largely depends on what you make of your

The best coment so far,,,,, Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we spent our time in whistler, and it was fantastic.
there's lots of opportunites for jobs, great atmosphere, and depending on your ability the possibility of unlimited lessons with your liftpass (which means you can always find someone to ride/ski with whatever your ability). and it wasn't as expensive as some of europe was (but i don't know about now, sigh...)
latest report
grey wrote:
we spent our time in whistler, and it was fantastic.
there's lots of opportunites for jobs, great atmosphere, and depending on your ability the possibility of unlimited lessons with your liftpass (which means you can always find someone to ride/ski with whatever your ability). and it wasn't as expensive as some of europe was (but i don't know about now, sigh...)

Even with the exchange rate as it is, I think food and drink are probably a bit cheaper in Whistler than places like Courchevel. There's good value accommodation to be had, too. But lessons are more expensive, and it must surely be one of the most expensive lift passes in the world unless you grab one of their early bird season pass deals (which we did - got ours for £775, only £150 or so more than a 13 day pass).

Still, we enjoyed it enough in 2007 to commit to four weeks there, so it must have made a good impression. My brother-in-law arrived on Tuesday to start his season; 37 days and counting until it's our turn...
snow report
Thanks for the comments. I'm very happy Very Happy Very Happy . Just to reply, yes I am thinking of just bumming it -- starting very shortly. I've narrowed it down to Whistler = better powder. St Anton = better women. It's a tough choice still, but thanks for all the help !!! David
snow conditions
I'll also add that St Anton/the Arlberg has better quality pow than anywhere else I've skied in the Alps - Stuben is about the most fun place in the world!
snow conditions
freeheelskier, Sorry, I've forgotten, but how many years have you been skiing and how many resorts have you skiiiiid,,,??
snow report
davidd01, Lucky you doing a season. I think there are distinct disadvantages and advantages for both resorts, you will have a superb time in either - that is a definite!

Some things to consider.

I chatted to a local from Whistler on a lift in St Anton. He goes to St Anton two weeks each year skiing off-piste with guides. He said that the off-piste skiing in St Anton is much better than in Whistler, that you cannot actually compare them in terms of terrain and skiing options. I have only spent two weeks in Whistler, and 7/8 or so in St Anton, so I am not really qualified to comment myself on the backcountry in Whistler.

I know people who have lived/have places in Whistler, and I would not say that the powder would necessarily be 'better' in Whistler, yes you should get more precipitation. The snow in Whistler is 'maritime' snow and it can be raining in the village, so the snow can be heavy, if it is not particularly cold.

St Anton has one of best snow records in the Alps, and you can get lots of powder days, particularly in Stuben. The Arlberg ski area is huge in comparison to Whistler and Blackcomb.

A really big advantage for Whistler is that you have some inbounds avalanche controlled freeriding areas. To access the best freeriding, and powder (some time after a dump) in Arlberg you really need mountain guides or very knowledgeable and experienced locals to ski with. To do so without, is potentially very dangerous indeed.

St Anton is usually full of blokes, so much so that back in 2005 the The Sunday Times wrote a feature about this and the reasons why. They stated that there was a ratio of 8:1, I hope it has now got better for single men. I have skied St Anton once or twice a year for 6 years or so. There is a noticeable lack of women in St Anton, but that is true of lots of resorts.

Both are great resorts (in different ways) you will have an epic time in either.
ski holidays
jzBun, English humor I guess,,, Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
snow report
freeheelskier, it's English humour and quit with the commas. It's just plain annoying, and don't trot out some nonsense about being Swedish, they don't use them in multiples there either.
snow report
davidd01 wrote:
good-looking single women

Lul.

You took up the wrong the sport.
latest report
stanton wrote:
Lul.

Laughing Uber Loud?
snow report
freeheelskier,
Quote:
jzBun, English humor I guess,,,

No. Nothing as sophisticated as humour. It was a p*ss-take referring to British understatement.

Presenting your credentials as an authority before commenting will always raise suspicion. Repeating yourself (and those credentials) every time you make a comment is like an octogenarian drunk reminding you that they fought in the war: People will respect your opinion because it might well be true. But the veracity of that claim diminishes with each repetition (especially when your advice makes no sense)
latest report
jzBun, England and skiing= " Eddie the Eagle" that says all Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
freeheelskier, have you met stanton? I'm sure you'd get on like a house on fire.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Whos the f--c is Stanton?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
freeheelskier wrote:
rob@rar, Whos the f--c is Stanton?
A good question that many of us ask.
ski holidays
rob@rar, Do U remember "Eddie the Eagle" the best english skier ever Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
freeheelskier, for a guy who brags unashamedly about his skiing experience you seem strangely confused about the difference between skiing and ski-jumping. Keep taking the tablets. It will get better. Probably quite slowly though.
snow conditions
rob@rar, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin andU talk abou this, I had make coments about skiing, and alot have make notes about my english and other thing,,, U not understand the irony Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
freeheelskier, and there was me thinking you might take a joke as well as you give one. Oh well. I apologise for upsetting your delicate sense of humour.
latest report
rob@rar, I have humour Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy so, Friends? Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
freeheelskier wrote:
rob@rar, I have humour

Congratulations. I suggest you start using it instead of trying to be an ärse.
snow report
rob@rar, There is alot of "arslen" here Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy