Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

a question about insurance and volcanic eruptions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have just booked my holiday, a diy trip to les saisies and we are a family of 4 and was going to book our ski insurance as we have done in the past with direct travel. however, I was going to get the premier plus but i noticed a section that is entitled natural disasters which covers for volcanic eruptions etc. now given the volcanic eruption that happened last year, do you think i should take this out, or will the insurance be enough to cover everything but the flights ie transfers, accomodation, ski hire that we have prebooked. we are flying easyjet. Or should I take the extra natural disaster cover out? it is an extra £26.99
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
how long is a piece of string? Obviously nobody would pay extra to insure themselves against volcanic eruptions if they thought there weren't going to be any. Equally obviously, insurance companies wouldn't offer to provide that cover if they thought there would be!

It's a gamble. All insurance is a gamble. But maybe natural disasters might include 'normous snow falls which meant you couldn't dig your car out and drive home? Or a big flood which washes away a chunk of the road you were planning to use.

PS I'm reasonably confident that Les Saisies is safe from tsunamis and there haven't been any earthquakes for a long time. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam, i was thinking more of the volcano that disrupted so many flights last year. i would be willing to lose the cost of the flights but not the cost of the whole holiday. I maybe didnt explain myself. what i mean is that if i dont take out the natural disaster insurance but take the rest of theinsurance out and ther is a volcano, would i be able to recoup the cost of the accomodation, transfers, ski hire or would they tell me if the flight was cancelled due to the natural disaster then the rest of the holiday would be cancelled because of it or would i still be covered? itsvery confusing
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

and ther is a volcano, would i be able to recoup the cost of the accomodation, transfers, ski hire or would they tell me if the flight was cancelled due to the natural disaster then the rest of the holiday would be cancelled because of it or would i still be covered?

my guess would be that if you've NOT got "natural disaster" insurance, any costs incurred because there's been one would not be covered.

In fact easyJet were very good last year in the disruption due to snow so if it was on the way back, you probably wouldn't lose anything. I took brother in law into Geneva, got there very late because of snow, which disrupted the motorway, to find all flights cancelled and airport effectively closed. easyJet had somebody coming through the queues, handing out leaflets, you could re-book yourself onto flights the following day and get hotel accommodation too. In the end he decided to take a chance on a flight going through to Luton much later in the day (though as his car was in Birmingham it was a bit of a hassle this end, which was also very snowy).

I was tongue in cheek about the tsunami, obviously, but am wondering about snow. Would freakish disruption caused by snow - maybe in the UK - be called a "natural disaster". If it was very bad here, and you couldn't travel (roads closed etc) would they reimburse your accommodation costs if you didn't have the natural disaster cover?

Maybe worth a phone call. If not, then I'd say the extra cost would be very well worth while - the chances of major disruption due to weather in the UK look quite high. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
its certainly something else to think about, i will give insurers a ring tomorrow. here is another thing that has got me thinking about your brother in law, would his insurance have ended the day he was supposed to come home? ie the day before therefore the insurers could wash their hands of it? what a minefield. I am trying not to think about it too much but you just cant help wondering about all these "what ifs" lol

PS les saisies webcam look fantastic.......very excited, cant wait
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, someone on another forum was told by several insurers that a bad weather incident, such as heavy snow ,was not a natural disaster. But if the weather caused flooding, avalanche or landslip, that probably would be covered.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
polo99, provided your insurance covered all the days on your planned holiday (door to door) if there was a delay which meant you got back a few days later, that should be covered (provided the cause of the delay is something which falls within the policy's definitions). To be sure, you could ask that tomorrow, too.

The webcams look good - but snow is actually a bit thin now, after the rain. There will be plenty more before long, though, and the cover is, as usual, better than most places. Have a look at the "hauteur de neige" thingy, at the bottom of the "mountain" forecast page on meteo.fr Snowdepths in the Beaufortain are substantially better than the Haute Tarentaise. 80 cms at 2000m in the Beaufortain. That's the top altitude - it's not a high altitude area. But they only give 60 cms at 2500m in the Haute Tarentaise. wink That difference is quite common - the first time we went to Les Saisies (by accident) the snow was as good as anywhere in the Three Valleys and a lot better than most.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy