Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daypack Help Needed

Poster: A snowHead
Good morning everyone! I am set to fly out to snowy Canada in 4 weeks for the entire season to complete my
INstructor qualifications. My final piece of kit to buy is a decet backpack - ideally to carry all the essentials and possibly a bit extra - especially with a 20kg luggage allowance. I've never skied with a ski - orientated rucksack before so not exactly sure what I should be aiming at.

I have shortlisted the Ortovox Freerider 26 and the Dakine Heli Pro II. The Dakine is highly rated but the Ortovox Free Rider 26 looks even better at 26L - useful for a bit of extra hand luggage.

Has anyone tried the Ortovox, and is 26L overkill for a daysack? Any help would be appreciated! Many thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so long as it has decent compression straps it doesn't matter too much if you underfill it
26l is quite a lot unless you are carrying mountaineering gear
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I love the Heli Pro as a day pack. The problem with any pack is that whatever size you get you'll end up filling it:-) I have an original Heli Pro which looks to be slightly smaller than the II.

My personal view is that for lift served skiing anything bigger than a Heli Pro is a pain in the neck - with the Heli Pro you can sit on a chair lift with it still on (although Canadian lifties go mental if you do this; European ones couldn't care less). And if you do have to take it off then it's not too unweildy. It sits nice and close to the body and just "works" when skiing. The Ortovox doesn't look that much bigger, have you compared them side by side? (I'd be *very* wary of size measurments for rucksacs... especially when comparing between different brands, I have a McKinley "35" that is only about 50% bigger than my Heli Pro which is 16L, so by rights it should be a "25" at the most )

By the way, you almost certainly won't be allowed to wear a rucksac for instructor training... They don't like that either in Canada (Canadians must have something against rucksacs). I was told that (a) you wouldn't be allowed to wear one if you were teaching, and (b) they want to see how good your posture is etc., so, no wearing a sack during training or assessment.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tintin, I picked up an Ortovox "Houte Route 35" for a recent mountain safety course and got on with it pretty well. Not too bulky if not loaded up when skiing, but importantly it is really good as hand luggage Happy And it was cheaper than the Dakine too.

I would have gone the Heli Pro II route but already have a Heli Pak which has been brilliant.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Take a look at the Black Diamond range - I have two of these packs and in my opinion they are better made than Dakine. My wife has a Dakine Heli pack - so this is my direct comparison - this is starting to show more signs of wear and tear in 5 seasons use.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski with a Black Diamond 25l pack - carries shovel and probe and anything else I want, you can carry skis with it if doing a bit of climbing, and it compresses well. I also use it as hand luggage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone! I'm stuck between the two and unfortunately i havent found many stockists of ortovox (free rider at least) within a reasonable distance of where I live; so trying the pack isn't an option without buying and returning.

Thanks for the info re. Backpacks and tuition - I had suspected this could be the case but wasn't sure! The search continues!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You could just buy one out there, you'll find REI is cheaper than the UK and they have a big range to try... you'll have to stick all your carry on stuff in a Sainsbury's carrier bag for the flight out there though:-)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I use a Heli pro for normal stuff and can fit skins, first-aid kit, spare layer etc in it, but have a bigger Mammut 30L pack for if I need to carry a few days worth of kit. Sah is spot on about riding lifts and pack size IMHO.

And make sure whatever pack you get can take your shovel and probe on the inside.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks for all the advice! I'm going to look into the black diamond as they sound like decent pieces of kit. In the meantime I've contacted a supplier regarding the ortovox range and depending on their returns policy, I may order it to
compare to my brother's Dakine Heli Pro, with regards to actual volume, fit etc.

As Sah rightly said - I don't want to have anything too big on the lifts, especially if the Canadian lifties can get a bit funny about backpacks! Thanks all Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I can vouch for the quality of the Dakine Heli-pack. Mine's a few years old now and I use it most days skiing and for everything else. It seems bullet proof. I'm sure the quality would extend to the Heli-Pro. Apologies that this is slightly off topic but do you need to consider how it would sit when wearing a back protector too (if you choose to wear one)?...I don't have a back protector so would be interested if people think it can be an issue.
QS
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I personally don't wear a back protector when skiing, so haven't taken that into consideration - with that being said the Ortovox free rider has a CE/TUV certified in-built back protector, so if I buy the backpack I will certainly let you know how it feels! Very Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it stating the obvious to look at how each allows for carrying skis. Some have them on each side (or one side) and some central. Or both, It makes a difference
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tintin, I would certainly check if a sac is OK. I use a BCA Stash pac. Its the smallest pack that takes shovel and probes plus it has a hydrator built in. Might be cheaper in Canada.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/BCA-Stash-OB.html
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
My Heli Pro has a back protector built in. Don't know about certificates, but it fits well, helps keep me warm and feels secure.
latest report
The heli -pro is sounding appealing, and looks like it will work out quite a but cheaper than the ortovox. The backpack was stated on the kit-list I have been issued as part of the course, and I am also doing a 3 day backcountry AVT avalanche awareness course so I do need something pretty decent. Even if I'm unable to use it during instruction, it will no doubt come in useful at the weekends when we have no instruction and on subsequent ski holidays!
snow conditions
+1 for the Black Diamond packs, I use a Covert (which has the added benefit of the avalung). Really really well built, 32 litres so you can get a good amount of kit in, and it's fine on lifts...
latest report
I found the heli pro far to heavy before you even put anything in it.
snow conditions
I have an Ortovox Cross Rider which is smaller than the Free Rider and have been happy with it as a day pack. Fits my shovel, probe, sandwiches and extra layers etc. in no problem. That happy with it I recently bought another, but this time the women's version (what with being a female and all) which fits much better on me as it is a little shorter in the back. Took it as hand luggage when flying home for the weekend last season and fitted what I needed in no bother.
snow conditions
sally365, You came about 4 years late Toofy Grin
snow conditions
And I failed to notice the thread resurrection, doh!
snow conditions
Happy your forgiven as Admin is on holiday Toofy Grin Ill agree with the ortovox packs though. I have the freerider 16 and 14. the 16 is great for a day and will still fit showel, probe, layer and whiskey!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy