Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Scotland ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all.

As I pack my kit for a pre christmas trip to La Plagne for some off piste adventure my thoughts are turning to a january trip which as yet is un planned. Our country is at last experiencing decent amounts of snow with temperatures that look like they will hold the quality of snow for a while, so i am becoming tempted to give Scotland a try ( as long as the roads are open !)

The prospect of a couple of us chucking kit into the back of my Nissan and driving up there ( 12hrs) at the moment appeals . I should note where i live , Suffolk, its normally 11 -12 hours door to door for most European destinations, so either or would take the same time and effort to get to a slope.

So ..... here are my questions:

1. whats the range of skiing like ?
2. whats the off piste like ?
3. are most ranges reliant on traveling to the lift stations by car ?
4. is truly "nasty cold"? as so many folk say
5. on average what is the snow quality like ?
6. What cost are lift passes ?

I would also be interested in taking a guide / instruction for a days ski touring who do i contact for a first time experience ?

Its almost a given that the European Alpes offers everything in one hit but there is something fascinating me about getting some potential quality experiences within the UK ,

look forward to any replies,

Chris
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
chrisedwardsski,

1. Great
2. Extensive
3. Yes
4. No
5. Decent
6. £30 a day

Of course it all depends on the weather Wink

If you go expecting a mini La Plagne you won't enjoy it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As above, well worth a trip though! Mind I've not skiied abroad yet, so Scottish skiing seems pretty good to me! Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks for replying .... not expecting a "la plagne" experience am looking for mini ski tour experiences on some good snow without leaving the UK. Fall-line mag had a feature a while back about Scottish skiing, made it look impressive , reckon i could well be loading the truck up with kit then in Jan. Which area would you recommend ?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Chrisedwardsski, if it's off piste your after, head anywhere apart from Lecht. IF you get lucky with snow/weather, you'll enjoy your trip.
If you want a bit of touring, head for Glenshee or Cairngorm. Glenmore Lodge, Rob at Mountain Spirit in Aviemore or the guys in Braemar Mountain Sports will point you in the direction of Guides/Instructors for some touring.

As Scotia said in his post, it all depends on the weather.

Enjoy your trip to La Plagne.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I stayed at Glenmore Lodge last year, as I was on a 1st aid course. There were several ski touring courses on at the same time, and they looked to be well run. Speaking to some of the guys on them, they were getting some amazing runs in, even though "piste" conditions weren't great.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nevis Range is the best resort in the UK.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Nevis Range MAY well be the best Ski Area (not Resort) in the UK.
For touring though, your best bet is to head to Cairngorm or Glenshee, and the peaks roundabout.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chrisedwardsski, Have a look at www.g2outdoor.co.uk for guides/instructors for some touring.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks SaraJ great links thats just what the doctor ordered ! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy