Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken ankle

Poster: A snowHead
Broke my ankle (Weber B fracture of the right lateral malleolus) 2 weeks ago the night I arrived in resort for what was supposed to be the season. Needless to say I'm back at home recovering. No surgery needed, Doc has said it'll be about 5-6 weeks, and I'm going back on Tuesday for another x-ray to see how it's doing, and hopefully he'll get me in a partially weight bearing cast (non-weight bearing at the moment). Planning on heading back out to the Alps to work once the cast's off and I'm more mobile. Not overly bothered about getting up the hill to begin with (doc said about Feb before I can board, not asked about skiing), but just wondering if anybody has been in the same situation and how long was it before you started skiing again?

I'm thinking I'll probably be skiing before I'm back on my board as ski boots provide more support and is easier on the ankles than boarding. Plus I ride goofy and so most of my weight when boarding goes through my right ankle, although one of my season aims was to improve my switch riding and get down a black run so I'll just set the board up regular and go from there.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You need to get the ankle moving asap and physio.

The problem is not so much when you ski but getting the boot on and off.

Set your bindings low(not too low) and go easy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry to hear you broke your ankle.

I'm a physiotherapist and would recommend thinking twice about rushing back to skiing or snowboarding. Assuming it's a sport you intend to carry on with for a long time it would be daft to rush back as soon as the cast comes off and risk the injury taking alot longer to heal. With the mechanism of most lateral fractures the ligaments / soft tissues normally end up injured which take a lot longer to heal than the actual boney fracture. Once you are full weight bearing you need to get yourself a good physiotherapist who can progress your rehab and help you build the strength back up around your ankle.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I had an MRI scan in Austria which showed no ligament damage thankfully. I'm not intending to get straight back on my board (or skis) as soon as the cast's off, I know that's not going to happen. I do want to get back to work out in the Alps as soon as I can tho, and depending on how things go I may ask if I can have a pool pass in place of lift pass/ski hire, worth a try.

Just got to wait and see what happens Tuesday, hopefully the bone's healing well and they'll let me start to weight bear, the doc here seemed to think I should be able to after looking at the original X-ray and the one they did when I got back to the UK (almost a week after the original).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Will keep my fingers crossed for you for tuesday! Once you are full weight bearing I'll happily help with a strengthening programme although I'm sure you'll have your own physio to do that for you Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks. Had one or two people I know offer me help with physio/rehab exercises too, just gotta get to that point now!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey Sitter.

I broke my ankle (complex fracture) in a cycling crash 2 & 1/2 yrs ago. Wasn't skiing much at the time so can't answer directly re snowsports, but on the one hand I was riding a bike 6 days after the cast was taken off, but on the other I couldn't run properly for 6 months. Your ankle will likely be swollen for a while and if it's like mine was you'll find walking painful for the first week after the cast comes off.

Clearly, you have to go with doctors' advice. Having said that it should be obvious enough how you are progressing. When you get to a point that you can walk up steps without much discomfort, that may be the time to condider boarding again.

Andy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not too bothered about the running, not really a fan unless it involves chasing a ball around a pitch (even then I didn't do much of that, being a 'keeper)!
Been reading various bits that I've found on the 'net, but most refer to more complex/multiple fractures which required surgery. It's also surprised me at how much the cost of an ankle support varies, can anybody recommend one?
Going to take with me a list of questions when I go to fracture clinic on Tuesday, wasn't with it when I saw them first time as I'd only got back home 4am that morning following a long 13hr trip back from St Anton.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ouch. How did you break it?

I broke my right ankle some 14 years ago. I was running to cross the road and got my foor caught in the camber between pavement and tarmac. It mended and whatnot and seemed mostly fine.

Then 5 years ago I destroyed all my cartilage while out skiing with a hangover. I didn't ski again for 9 months, but, in truth, I probably would have been OK after 3. Anyhow, the point of this is that my surgeon, who has returned a number of professional footballers to fitness, was certain that I had basically failed to properly strengthen the ankle after the original break.

I know it's dull, but do take it slowly and (boringly) do the physio. Post surgery mine is still a bit dodgy and can ache in the cold (I know, war wounds and all that) but does work fine, but it's a close run thing.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
zammo wrote:
was certain that I had basically failed to properly strengthen the ankle after the original break

good point.... make sure you do more than you think you need.

Get a balance board / wobble board.... you can stand on it while watching tv
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sitter wrote:
... It's also surprised me at how much the cost of an ankle support varies, can anybody recommend one?

ref above, I found after many ankle injuries of varying degrees that where possible leave the ankle to get mobility back, then when needed (e.g. for return to sports) that taping is as good as any expensive support. first thing is to shave your lower leg, as it gets to be a nuisance peeling tape off your hairy leg all the time, but then making sure you get your foot in the right position when you start taping, or you will lock it out in either an uncomfortable or damaging position - ask your physio friends what best taping styles/positions, etc to use.

good luck with the rehab.

Pete
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So, went to fracture clinic today. They X-rayed my ankle again and the bones are still in the right place. Turns out I can't weight bear for the time being (dunno why he said that first time) as it's an unstable fracture and putting weight on the leg before it's healed could cause the fracture to slip out of place. So I get the joys of having the cast and crutches for another 4 weeks, by which time he thinks it'll be healed and I can start rehab/physio.

Very tempted by a balance board, almost sorted one a while ago. I've got an old football and drainpipe sections knocking around at home, just need to ask dad nicely to get me a suitable plank of wood.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sitter, Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, the hospital moves the goal posts. Got my next appointment date in the post this morning and the hospital have seen fit to make it for 4 weeks tomorrow, or 5 weeks after my last appointment. To say I'm p'd off/fed up/whatever is a bit of an understatement. I thought I was half way through being in this cast and unable to bear any weight, but no, they've decided to stick an extra week on the end...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I wonder what the schedule for chemmy is hers must be the worst kind of break but I bet she is up and training again very soon
latest report
Depends on what treatment you get and who you see.

When I first went to the doctors in St Anton and they'd established I'd broken my ankle they asked if I had insurance (which I did, I was just not 100% sure what exactly it covered and told them this). Next minute I was being transferred to his private clinic for an MRI scan to ascertain if there was any ligament damage, which there wasn't, and then talk to the surgeon about having surgery. They then said they'd operate that evening to pin the ankle together, I'd be on crutches for a week and then be able to start weight bearing. I said I'd have to see what my insurance covers. Turns out they wouldn't cover this so back to the doctors. The doctor then gave me a choice of either getting it casted or having the ankle operated on in the public hospital some time in the next week or so. Was sent back to chalet with crutches and chance to think about the options. By the next day I knew I was going home so never made that choice.

When I saw the consultant at the hospital back here in the UK his response was that the MRI was pointless and that the fracture didn't need operating on (on the verge, it's an "almost displaced" one), so I'm in a pot waiting for it to heal. Phoned up and got my appointment changed for the week earlier (nobody around to take me the week they initially made it).
latest report
Not too sure why I'm posting this here, just need to get it off my chest I guess.

I go back to hospital tomorrow to get the cast off and an x-ray, and hopefully my ankle's healing fine and I can start to weight bear. I'm not normally somebody who gets nervous/worked up about anything but I'm bricking it about tomorrow. Have managed to keep weight off my leg, but just over a week ago I lost my balance when getting up out of a chair and put weight on my ankle. Done it once or twice since too but it didn't hurt. Then a couple of days ago I fell trying to get in to the shower, landed with most of my weight on the bad leg and kind of twisting my leg in the cast. I was in quite a bit of pain for about an hour but since then I've been fine (didn't hurt as much as the break).
Just hope I've not done anything, going nuts stuck at home and not sure how I'll cope if I have to be stuck here much longer. If it hasn't healed or moved then I suspect they'll want to operate (I was borderline initially), which is one of the things I'm nervous about. I really don't like the idea of having my ankle sliced open and metal put in it. On top of that, because of the flu bug going round, my hospital has cancelled all elective surgery and due to lack of beds, is not accepting any admissions at the moment, making it somewhat difficult should they want to operate....

Feel better now Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
im no doctor but after a break you can still have pain for alot of time. I think I was about a year before I was back to 80% and about 3 years before I stopped noticing pain after knocks or twists. Even 10 years after I still only have 95% movement compared to the other(I don't ever think its going to be 100%)
snow report
Went back to the hospital today, 6.5 weeks after fracturing the ankle. X-ray showed that the bone is healing, it's just doing it slowly Sad
So, got another cast put on (boring white again as they only have the coloured ones for children or upper limbs) but the nice nurse in the plaster room felt sorry for me so the bottom half of my cast is now purple Smile I do have a black walking boot on the bottom now tho and can fully weight bear. Although I'm not happy about still having a cast on (I'm desperate to get back out to the Alps to work, I just can't with the cast on) I'm feeling much better now that I can move around. Getting all over the place just fine, even ditched the crutches for a lot of it as I find they're just getting in the way a lot of the time (still nice to have them for uneven terrain/stairs to help balance).
Going back on the 25th Jan (8.5 weeks after fracture) for another X-ray when hopefully it's healed enough for me to walk away cast free Smile
snow report
Sitter, all the best for 25/1/11
ski holidays
Got the cast off today and just getting used to walking again. The ankle's feeling quite stiff but has loosened up as I've been walking around and a nice soak in warm water has also helped. Have been told no skiing/boarding for another 2 months, but I can go back out in about a week. Easy bit over, now the hard part with the rehab.
latest report
I too had a Weber B fracture of my distal right fibula.I broke my ankle at the end of November in Tignes running up the stairs of the funicular railway, determined to get a seat !! The real irony is I had been coming down steep icy black runs that morning with no problems. You have my sympathy,I know just how frustrated you must be feeling.
I am walking now and the best advice I can offer you is to go and see a physiotherapist. The NHS didn't offer me any physio but fortunately I can access treatment via work. Do the exercises they give you and don't overdo it, although the temptation to do so will be very strong . My bone is mended but the tendons at are still much weaker than they should be and I am determined to get back skiing in March, so I am fanatical about doing my exercises.Best of luck and remember that every day there will be a slight improvement.
ski holidays
Sound like you injured yourself the same time as me (I did mine on my birthday, 27/11). I can't believe the difference I'm noticing already in just 2 days, managed to walk down stairs holding the rail properly yesterday rather than going one at a time (going up them's been fine too). I wasn't offered any physio either, but have plenty of excercises that I'm doing and a nice soak in warm water feels fantastic. Good luck to you too.
snow report
Sitter, Pansy Potter, all the best with your rehab.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy