Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how to re-glue skins?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
touring skins this is. Box says to follow the instructions, but there arent any in any of the boxes in the shop - any tips?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
This is a messy job - and, to do it effectively, you'll need some sort of hot blade too. I made one by attaching a strip of aluminium to a soldering iron.

First spread a load of old newspaper on the floor and lay out one skin - stick side up. Use the hot blade to scrape off the old glue. It's a slow job and you end up with big balls of the stuff. Try to keep it away from the hairs on the back side! I found I needed more heat than I expected - something over 300C on the iron - and lots of pressure on the skin. The glue gives itself up very slowly so prepare for a long haul. Repeat for other skin.

Then comes the easy bit. I used an old credit card but anything with a flat edge will do. Blob on a bit of glue and then spread it about. Try to get good coverage without pushing too much over the edge and into the fur. I guess a run over with the hot knife will help spread it about but I haven't tried that yet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Like this:

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
There are some handy videos of how to do it on the Collex website

http://www.colltex.ch/

It's flash so can't seem to get the link straight to the vids Sad
Just click on the video option under service on the left menu and at the bottom see the section "Recoating"
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
No need for a hot blade - just use a hot-air gun (paint stripper) .... scraper, paper and mess as above Very Happy

When you re-glue, make sure that you leave the glued skins glue side up for (at least) overnight, so the glue can dry before folding the skins/fitting your cheat-sheets.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ace, thanks for all the advice - looks a bit more involved than i was hoping as dontr have some cleevre wire up hot blad thing or a paint stripper, but something needs to be done with them, cheers
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There is another way to get the old stuff off. It involves a sheet of something absorbent - but I can't remember what - and an iron. You just iron the absorbent sheet into the glue and then peel everything off.

I'll see if I can find a reference....

Aha, a brown paper bag apparently! I guess brown packing paper like you get in rolls at the Post Office will do just fine:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5108256_reglue-climbing-skins.html
Or baking paper, even:
http://www.larryscascaderesource.com/weird/weird_files/skins.html
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't wear your best clothes when doing it, the glue gets everywhere.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy