Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski boots - Kent

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys, newbie here.. Before I get started a quick bit about me - I live in Maidstone and have been skiing for 21 years. I completed a BASI/PSIA GAP course in the USA 5 years ago but since then have only managed 4 weeks a year on snow.. When I do ski I tend to do a lot of "boot packing" out from the top of resorts to find the deepest powder and biggest cliff drops, on piste I like to ski moguls but I can occasionally be found in the park on days when conditions and viz are poor.

Have a quick Q about boot fitting.. I know what boot I want (Salomon Quest 12) and have tried them in Captains Cabin at Sevenoaks but unfortunately they only had a size above what I needed for a performance fit and are unable to get a set in the correct size.
Snow and Rock stock the boot but I am wary about using them for fitting. Can anyone tell me what kind of custom footbeds they can provide as I was after some Kork Superfeet or similar?
Also do I have any alternatives within a reasonable distance?

H
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Try CC in Canterbury, they're a different company though under the same name! Only have the Quest 10 on the website but won't have any trouble getting one in for you, Neil's the guy to deal with.
They do conformable footbeds not superfeet, fully custom still. Mine are excellent.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brill, will give them a call. Thank you.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
People seem to think i'm from Kent, I hear them whisper it as I walk past.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
SMALLZOOKEEPER where are you located and could you give me any advise on the fitting of the Quest?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
HenryL, Probably, I'm based in Chamonix, have to be honest, if you'll let me without having to go into too much detail, I hate the Quest. There are some good points, the way it blocks to flex, but otherwise it's a flower pot, Salomon have dropped the ball on this one. Get something lower volume and get it fitted right.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Ok, Happy to take the advise on board, so what alternatives are there to the quest?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I live in Kent and have also used Neil at the Captain's Cabin for my last two pairs of boots. I have found him to be an excellent boot fitter. I have a very low volume foot, long and thin. I usually ski between 2 and 4 weeks a year off-piste with guides. I use the Salomon Falcon Pro custom fit, which is fine for me.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I live in Kent and have also used Neil at the Captain's Cabin for my last two pairs of boots. I have found him to be an excellent boot fitter. I have a very low volume foot, long and thin. I usually ski between 2 and 4 weeks a year off-piste with guides. I use the Salomon Falcon Pro custom fit, which is fine for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JayDub, the quest and the falcon are 2 different beasts...about 4mm in width between the 2 to start with
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just for info - ended up going to snow and rock to get the Quest 12. Pretty happy with the boots - walk mode is far better than I was expecting to be honest and I can see them being very comfortable for a decent amount of hiking. The lock back in to downhill mode is very solid to. Fit wise vey tight at the moment so wearing them for 15 mins at a time round the house. Had some Sidas conformable footbeds done at S+R and they seem ok - what is the general opinion on these? Any good or should I swap them for some Superfeet Korks?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
HenryL, the footbed will be as good as the guy building it, whatever the brand, if it is made well and is the right thing for your feet
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Seriously? On a lot of forums you'd get a proper flaming, Snowheads is a friendly place and i should keep my mouth shut but you've had 2 personal recommendations of an independent bootfitter close by and been warned off the boot you've picked - for yourself out of the catalogue - by one of the most respected voices on here.

Yet you went to a big chain to get what you wanted, I hope the walk-mode's just right for you.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ok firstly I did try to get the boots sent out from salomon but they said the earliest they could get them in would be late this season. I went to snow+rock as they had the boots available in multiple sizes along with a decent range of other boots to compare with. I went for the quest because on the day it was the boot that felt right on my feet. I reported back out of courtesy as I know how often posts dont get finished which makes searching the forum for information useless. The question about footbeds was only a query about the actuall footbed and whether one was technically more advanced than the other. I have had some helpful replies during this thread and appreciate everyones input.
latest report
sidey, do you work for captains cabin by any chance??...sure sounds like it

whilst i am not sure of the logic of the way the boot was chosen, no one on here can say if it is right or wrong as no one on here has seen HenryL's feet, yes the quest is high volume, but if he has a high volume foot and it does wht HE wants it to do then wheres the problem Puzzled rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow report
Hmm, did a few years ago, still grinding the wheel for the independent. I guess on re-reading i come across pretty shirty, for which i apologise, mabye i deserve the flaming Embarassed

Seen a lot of people chasing a certain product, often "solomon", who could benefit from broadening their search.

Henry you seem to have enough experience to know what you want from a boot, i sincerely hope you're happy with your new purchase.
snow conditions
Thanks CEM, I know I could have gone about choosing the boot in a different way but the Quest does what I want it to do - I can change them if something better or more suited to my skiing style comes along next season.
ski holidays
And thanks Sidey - I totally understand where you were coming from bud.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy