Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quality Ski Jackets - advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another vote for Arc'teryx Sidewinder - phenomenally competent. I didn't and wouldn't pay full price though - be very surprised if there wasn't something else on the market much much cheaper that is equally competent if I made the effort to look.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kitenski I would love to wait for the sales, but my current one is falling appart, and I have a week in Chamonix on the 15th, followed by 8 days in Feb, (plus any weekends as i live in Geneva). So I really need to get one in the next couple days.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Crikey, lots of random info and big price tags being banded about!

The "softshell" concept was originally that of Buffalo and Montane, a pertex windproof and weather resistant outer with and insulated pile fibre lining with lots of venting options giving a garment which is super breathable , warm when needed but enabling the garment to be worn on it's own. This started to gain momentum with climbers and the idea developed. Basically, however "breathable" Gore-Tex is, the lining fabric that it's bonded too is less breathable and as soon as you start working hard in a Gore-Tex jacket, you get sweaty. The softshell idea to stop you getting wet from the inside by compromising on you getting wet from the outside, the idea being that you’d be less wet overall and still be warm and comfortable.

Gore-Tex and the like started to incorporate the term softshell into their products, as they didn't want people moving away from the layering system they’d so successfully sold over the years and as such the definitions have blurred a fair bit. A shell, whether hard or soft, should be the outermost layer you wear. If you have to wear a hardshell over your softshell, then your softshell isn’t a shell; it’s a slightly sweaty fleece.

For skiing, you should get either a hard shell or a softshell, not both. As you are unlikely to encounter rain when skiing (Scotland excepted), a decent softshell should be up to the job if that’s what you’re after.

If I were buying a hardshell, I’d look at either Event (my preference due to it being the most breathable waterproof fabric on the market imho) or Gore-Tex Pro Shell. Performance and Paclite are, in my experience sweatier.

I personally ski and climb in a (discontinued) Patagonia softshell which is fleece insulated (non-branded outer fabric). Never had any issues in heavy wet snow or light rain. If it was pissing it down, I’d be either inside or wearing a super light Haglofs shell.

Don’t buy soley on brand, fabric and fit are very important. Don’t disregard Rab, Montane, Mountain Equipment etc. or any jacket just because it’s cheaper. If you can’t get a top spec shell that’ll last a good few years for less than £300 you’re shopping in the wrong place.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Also, Icebreaker is lovely kit but it's chuffing expensive and not the be all and end all. I'd get a thin merino (due to comfort and smell) baselayer (remember this layer to wick sweat away and keep you comfy, not keep you toasty) followed by a micro fleece for warmth. The gold standard is the Patagonia R1 (as with all these things, this is just my opinion) but again, if you're not buying it in the sales (they're always in the sales as Patagucci change colours pretty much every season) they're plenty of other decent stuff out there.

If you're not bothered about cost then just buy what you like, there isn't that much "bad" clothing out there is you stick to decent brands and skiing isn't very demanding of your clothing.

If you are on a budget, you could totally kit yourself out in the Cheshire Oaks O'Neil shop for the price of the Arc'Teryx jacket and be totally fine.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ok so I finally got all my gear that should hopefully last me for many years to come.

So I went into Snow and Rock today and got:

Hard shell: Arc'Teryx sidewinder
Mid layers: Patagonia MR1 Pullover
Arc'Teryx Atom LT
Base Layer: Ice breakers 200 (with lycra for top)

I had to ask the people working there about the midlayers, as I perhaps didn't ask enough about them on here, but I hope that those two midlayers in conjunction with my hard shell should allow me to keep my temperature regulated in most weathers in the Apls.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nice, good choices! Now you can help me design my own new jacket (please)* wink The link is below in my signature.

*Or whoever you think most deserves your vote.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I feel like a pimp Confused
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I cannot see it in you signature clarky999
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
http://apps.facebook.com/gore-experiencetour/vote_detail_mammut.php?voteid=630895290

Cheers in advance dude wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I went to you thread, and have voted. Good luck
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks man!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy